Do You Prefer Clumping Or Non-clumping Litter?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just curious which everyone prefers?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Always used clumping with the cats I have now. It was the first cat litter I tried. They liked it. I figured I'd leave it at that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Always used clumping with the cats I have now. It was the first cat litter I tried. They liked it. I figured I'd leave it at that.
Same. I use smartcat, which is a grass litter. Super expensive, and tracts everywhere. But it works really well.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
In the past we used non-clumping litter but we switched to clumping with our present cat and will keep using it. :thumbsup:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clumping. It's so much better than the clay litter we used years ago. It was so hard to keep the pan clean and the odor was overbearing.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definintely clumping.

Saleri, I'd never heard of Smartcat. I watched a video of the inventor using clumps made from water as softballs and even throwing them up against the wall and they never crumbled. I may have to check that out. Thanks for the tip.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clumping. World’s Best. Krista pees towards a wall. I lift the box and tip away from the mound she makes and scoop the clump that remains stuck to the wall. I don’t think it gets easier than this.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the Petco house brand, Sophresh. Have pretty much used it exclusively since the first cat came to live with me. Seems to be unscented (or very little scent--I can't smell it), but is quite good at keeping odor down.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Clumping. They didn't even have clumping litter when I first had cats as pets. At least not that I was aware of. But I can't stand the lightweight clumping litters that have become so prominent on the store shelves. They track everywhere.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Clumping. No contest. We have 5 litter boxes. Clumping litter makes life much easier. We use Tidy Cats and Fresh Step most often but if Arm & Hammer, Cat's Pride or something similar is on sale, I will grab one.

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Clumping. No contest. We have 5 litter boxes. Clumping litter makes life much easier. We use Tidy Cats and Fresh Step most often but if Arm & Hammer, Cat's Pride or something similar is on sale, I will grab one.
I use Costco brand but which one of these that you use would be good for odor control? I am adding a third kitty soon and may want to add some to the Costco brand.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use Costco brand but which one of these that you use would be good for odor control? I am adding a third kitty soon and may want to add some to the Costco brand.
Tidy Cats and Fresh Step are champs when it comes to odor control- and clumping. Dr Elsey's is too. I'd buy that one more often if it didn't come in a bag. It makes it harder to move and the girls like to sharpen their claws on the bag.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Clumping, no doubt about it (I scooped around 40 litter boxes at the shelter this morning and can't imagine what that would have been like with non-clumping litter!). The shelter uses Cat's Best Öko Plus, because it's biodegradable. I use very fine clumping clay litter at home.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Clumping, definitely. I use SmartCat, too, and yes, it does track a bit, particularly with my two long-haired, floof-toed kitties. But it’s outstanding at controlling odor, is weightless, doesn’t require strip mining, and doesn’t stay in the landfill for 1 million years!

lavishsqualor lavishsqualor , I saw that video, too. I haven’t found the clumps to be quite that hard (not that I’ve tried tossing pee clumps around :lol:), but it clumps really well. You have to wait awhile for the clumps to solidify. You also have to take the transition process slowly because the cats freak out a bit at sinking into the litter.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use store brand clumping litter in the 40 pound boxes from Walmart, Tractor Supply, or BJs. It was $10, but now I think it's $11. I like it because I can see how much my cats pee. I hate the dust though, it gets on everything. But I guess I should clean/dust more anyway. :)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Publix has the 20 pound jugs of Tidy Cats on sale BOGO this week. I got 2 last night when I went grocery shopping. I think I'll stop by there today and get a couple more.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've only used clumping, so can't compare. I use Arm & Hammer "Double Duty" and have no complaints, other than bits of litter than stick to Ruby's toes and end up on the floor.