Do you or do you not allow your cat/kitten to sleep with you?

iluvlucy15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interested in knowing how many people allow their cats/kittens to sleep with them. I had an adult cat, whom always slept with me,but she has since passed. Now, I have a new kitten. I've only let her sleep with me a few times in bed, but those few times it didn't last the entire night. I'm a person that needs a solid 8hrs,if possible and I don't find that is possible with a kitten. Breaks my heart to not allow her in my room, I know it's an important way to bond. What's folk thoughts on this? If I let her in, I would never sleep. As an adult, I don't care if she does. But by then, she may not want to....

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've let my kittens do it for a while and I'm letting my new 2 year old cat do it now. It didn't last long with my kittens, but my 2 year old is much calmer, mellow cat whom would prefer to just lay next to you and sleep when you do then want to play with you during the night like I found my kittens doing.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat and kitten sleep with us. The kitten can be annoying, but as she is getting older she has been better at sleeping through most of the night. Both cats come and go during the night and like to snuggle. I couldn't ever lock them out since I would miss them being there.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I leave the door open enough for the cats to come and go.  Fluffy will sleep in the room but rarely on the bed.  Eclipse will sleep on the be sometimes.  Right now I think it is too warm for him to sleep with us.  They are 1 1/2 and 1 year old.  There are still times we are woken early in the morning by a wrestling match on the foot of the bed or rolling into the bed on the floor.  But there is no more toe biting or waking us up early for food,

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My house is open plan so there is no way to shut them out of the room. In the winter they all try to sleep on or in the bed, but they're like furry hot water bottles so I don't mind at all.

At this time of the year they spend most of the night chasing bugs around their enclosure and then sleep all day, so we get the bed to ourselves.

They know what time the alarm clock goes off though, if I try to have a lie-in I'm soon surrounded by anxious kitty faces going "Breakfast......?"

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I let my cat sleep on my bed, but in the summer, he only jumps on the bed when he's hungry. [emoji]128532[/emoji] I do wish he slept with me all the time, but I'm restless, so he tends to sleep by himself.

meowkittymeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When Poptart was a kitten she slept with us and she still does now . 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They can sleep wherever they want. Sometimes they do sleep with me but it's not often.Sophie will come snuggle with me early in the morning before she wakes me for breakfast. Lily sometimes will curl up by my feet in the morning and Henry has been joining Sophie for wake up time in the mornings which does not thrill her. She likes to curl up on my chest for snuggle time and he's been jumping up and pushing himself in between us. She gets upset and leaves and comes back after he say good morning to me and then leaves. 

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ming slept near my feet the first few weeks after I adopted him. But then I got a sunny seat and since then, that's where he sleeps most of the night - which is also directly above my feet.

I really like the idea of this:

But I imagine a kitten would be rolling or walking all over the place so this wouldn't be much help!

cicoccabim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat sleeps with me part of the night. She usually starts the night in her cat- tree, and after some hours she wakes up, and sleeps with me in my bed. Sometimes at my feet, sometimes at my chest. She seems to have periods where she sleeps more with me, and times when she only comes to get her morning cuddle. It seems to be affected by the seasons.... I keep the door open so that she can come and go as she pleases. She never disturbs me while I´m sleeping, and waits for me to wake up before she starts to convince me that it is a good idea to feed her....

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When the kittens first began wandering around the room, sometime in March, they would climb into bed with me at night. I figured that I was their version of heater; it was still cold then. 
 Now they switch out during the night; one will tuck me in and I'll wake up with another. Spot used to be the one I woke up with, but then he discovered that my mother's bed is bigger and he can sprawl without hitting the uncomfortable objects that are my legs.

jdp1886

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. One sleeps at my feet, and the other sleeps at my wife's head. Makes it hard to stretch out sometimes, but it's worth it

missycab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All of my cats slept with us. It was funny at my parent's house: when we have our three cats, they would rotate beds. Some weeks my siamese would sleep with my parents, then with me, afterwards with my brother. They liked change. (weird)

Now, our Cleto sleeps with my BF and I. It took him a while... 3 days only, LOL! First night, he was scared and slept under the bed. Second night, he slept in a box we've placed in the bedroom so he could have a place to hice. The third night, he stopped being shy and slept with us! He sleeps between us, and sometimes over us. LUckily, he's a kitten yet (5-6 months old), but it'll be more complicated when he's all grown up!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie runs in spurts of sleeping with me. When I first adopted him, I tried to keep him out of my room. That was an impossible task!! This lasted 3 days~~~~ nights of our torture! for Both of us.

Once I opened the door, he made a dive for sleeping all cuddled up against me! So tight that I could not move. i am a restless sleeper. Do not get me wrong, I love having him on the bed. It is a love/hate relationship. I cannot move while he is there. 

He finally got the hint. Now it is only for a short period of time. When I start to move, he jumps off. 

He sleeps on a quilt in the living area, or in his cat tree, or a Chewy box.. He absolutely loves the box. It is his favorite thing right now. He has 3 beds. Two really nice, warm ones which I bought for him. One round, one rectangle and I was given a hooded one. He does not use any of them!\

He prefers the box or his carrier!

I do love to cuddle with him..

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
My cats have always had the option of sleeping with me but it has always varied from cat to cat - they haven't all taken me up on it. I did have one cat who woke me up a lot when he got old and it was very hard to deal with. My sleep was adversely affected and I would get very sleepy at work, which was a problem though I put up with it. None of my other cats have really disturbed my sleep that much although my current cat Paul does sometimes knead my stomach in the middle of the night before he settles down. Still, I can sympathize with anyone who has their sleep shattered by night time kitty antics. Many people have had luck by playing hard with their kitty at night, followed by a treat - this helps their cat sleep through the night. Having a cat snuggle up to you at night is such a wonderfully cosy thing that it's great if it works out.

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He sleeps on a quilt in the living area, or in his cat tree, or a Chewy box.. He absolutely loves the box. It is his favorite thing right now. He has 3 beds. Two really nice, warm ones which I bought for him. One round, one rectangle and I was given a hooded one. He does not use any of them!\
He prefers the box or his carrier!
I'm in the same boat as you. I've got two beautiful cat beds but he'd much prefer cardboard boxes!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's Ruby's choice whether she wants to sleep with me or not. 

In the winter, when the house gets cooler at night, she actually crawls under the covers and sleeps right beside me, so were are each other's heater.  Now that it's warm, she sleeps on the bed probably half of the time, and even then I don't think she stays all night.

freyaandzelda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will lounge with the cats on the couch, and they are allowed in the bedroom during the day, but at bedtime they are shut out. This is mostly because the bedroom is my dogs sleeping space, though. He gets very grouchy and nippy when playful kitties rouse him from his slumber. ;)

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Crumbs is a cuddler, she loves to sleep curled up on me or right next to me. I used to make her stay in another room at night because she would wake me several times during the night otherwise, but now that she's old and sick she sleeps with me. Otherwise she gets so upset she won't eat and makes herself sicker. In any case, I want to spend as much time with her as possible since she's nearing the end of her life.

Charlie prefers to have the option to come and go. Sometimes he stays out of my room all night, sometimes he sleeps at the foot of my bed, and once in a while he tries to wake me up for playtime.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iluvlucy15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your responses! I am use to a cat sleeping with me, but not a kitten. Some days I try letting her in, but after about 20 minutes its 'jump on my face' time. So, I end up putting her out. Again, it breaks my heart but she doesn't calm down. Even with play sessions prior to sleep. I just find it gets her going more than anything. Keeping in mind, she was feral and I got her about 4 months into her life. So, I have some challenges for sure... *sigh* raising a kitten alone is tougher than I thought!