Do you lose any nutritional value when straining wet food?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to prepare syringe feedings by throwing a can or two of wet food into the blender with a little bit of water or homemade broth, and pretty much blended the crap out of it until I got the right consistency. But now that I can't always run the blender whenever it's convenient for me, it's just easier for me to mash the wet food/water/broth mixture through a strainer with my fingers so it doesn't clog in a 3 ml. syringe.

However, I've noticed that there's always a little bit of stuff that won't go through the strainer, such as what I presume to be teeny tiny bone fragments, a wad of fat or gristle, etc. Oh, say like maybe about 1/4 tsp. per 3 oz. can.

Dumb question, but am I possibly losing any significant nutritional value by discarding anything that won't go through the strainer, e.g., minerals or whatnot? :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
teeny tiny bone fragments, a wad of fat or gristle, etc.
...probably not significant, particularly with it being these kinds of things. For example, you likely don't want too much bone or fat in any case, so what is left in the strainer isn't a deal-killer so to speak.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
It may or may not be. Bone is usually added as a calcium source, so if you're losing all of the bone then your calcium to phosphorus ratio could be thrown off. It's also possible that some supplements get lost in the goop that doesn't make it through the strainer. I don't think there is any easy way to tell.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...probably not significant, particularly with it being these kinds of things. For example, you likely don't want too much bone or fat in any case, so what is left in the strainer isn't a deal-killer so to speak.
Sorry for the belated response. My dad had a health crisis as I was tying a reply, and am just now getting around to giving it another try. :wink:

To be honest, I'm not too concerned about losing a bit of fat in the process, as some of the low carb options that Buddy will actually eat are higher in fat than I'd prefer anyway. I just hope I'm not losing too much of anything that might be important. *crosses fingers...and toes*

It would be so much easier if the little goofball would just eat wet food like he used to, instead of me having to constantly scramble to get enough calories and moisture into him every day! On the bright side, at least now he's letting us spoon-feed him two meals a day, so there is that. Baby steps. :)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may or may not be. Bone is usually added as a calcium source, so if you're losing all of the bone then your calcium to phosphorus ratio could be thrown off. It's also possible that some supplements get lost in the goop that doesn't make it through the strainer. I don't think there is any easy way to tell.
Yeah, the bone fragments were what was bothering me the most for that very reason. :sigh:

Unfortunately, since my terminally ill dad sleeps a lot, I can't always use the blender when I need to. So sometimes the strainer method is the best I can do at the time.

I've started adding CatSure or KMR powder to syringe feedings to try to offset any potential loss of vitamins or minerals, such as calcium, and as an added bonus, Buddy seems to like the taste. Thankfully, the assist feedings now only represent about 15-20% of Buddy's total daily calorie intake (which includes Young Again LID Zero Mature as "snacks"), so hopefully that gives me some wiggle room. Dang it, for a cat who was eating out of garbage sacks when we rescued him, he sure can be finicky about what he will and won't eat! :lol:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope your dad is ok!!

least now he's letting us spoon-feed him two meals a day, so there is that. Baby steps.
Good for him!!
, I can't always use the blender when I need to. So sometimes the strainer method is the best I can do at the time.
I think as long as you're still able to blend some of the time, you should be ok with what you end up getting out of, or leaving in, the strainer :)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your dad is ok!!

Good for him!!
I think as long as you're still able to blend some of the time, you should be ok with what you end up getting out of, or leaving in, the strainer :)
Thanks, hon. For the moment, Dad is as stable as he's going to get. So we're grateful for the better days, and just try to get through the not so good days as best we can. :)

In a perfect world, I'd like to be able to whip up a whole bunch of food in the blender for Buddy and freeze it in individual servings so I wouldn't have to resort to improvising. But sometimes fate has other ideas. :wink: