Do You Live In An Apartment?

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That video is hilarious. I have never lived in an apartment but my sister used to live in a downstairs apartment, and her upstairs neighbors used to complain about her and her roommate making too much noise. I don't even know how that works, unless they were walking on the ceiling!

Even though I have never lived in an apartment, I do still deal with loud, annoying neighbors. The neighbor that lives in the house to my right obsessively mows his lawn almost EVERY DAY. He will usually decide that mine needs to be mowed as well. I have been awakened on many Saturdays by him mowing right outside my bedroom window. The neighbor to my left (Creepy John) is always revving up some kind of loud engine day and night and apparently LOVES to build things and work with wood--sawing and hammering and whatnot--well into the night. He also has two VERY loud dogs that are constantly yapping. One of my neighbors across the street routinely has parties that involve fireworks (I'm not kidding). Another of my neighbors across the street really enjoys yelling. He and his family are often having shouting matches out in their front yard to make sure that all of the neighbors can hear. I appreciate being included. :p I feel like I am living in a sitcom sometimes. All of my neighbors (except Creepy John) are actually really nice. They are just a bit too much at times.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I couldn't stand apartment living. The constant banging of the doors, the walking back and forth like elephants, tv noise or radio boom boom boom garbage. So glad I moved into a mobile home...but we have a few noisy neighbors- house diagonally has drums-he practices on his drums daily from 5 to 7.
Used to have obnoxious accross the street yell and swear at all hours of the day... the rest of the people are quiet-can't complain. I prefer to live where the elders live-they are quiet and don't bother anyone.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We lived in an apartment and I hated it. Everybody was loud, including us.....you can't help but make noise at some point.

We have a single-family house now and I prefer it to an apartment or a condo. People are fairly quiet around here. In the summer, we'll hear the kids out by their pool; they just bought a 4-wheeler, so I'm sure that's going to be making me crazy in the next few weeks. The worst, though, is the couple who lives right across the street from us; she likes to drink and the more she drinks, the louder she yells. One night, I awakened around 2:30 in the morning because she was talking on her phone on her front porch. Evidently, she had really been guzzling the wine because she was really talking loud and f-bombing every other word. I shut the windows and went back to bed.

I had The Beast out one night and our neighbor came over to ask if I was the one playing the piano. When I said yes, that I was trying to practice, he said he figured it was me. I asked him if it bothered him and he said he was fine with it. There's a girl in the neighborhood who takes clarinet lessons and we hear her, too. It's not a biggie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester , I'm trying to learn piano too, goes kinda slow, but if you would live closer we could team up and compose an elephant anti-stomping song, which would of course be practiced in an apartment next to that upstairs stomping elephant :D

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a house and my neighbor was just plain nosy. She almost made me have a nervous breakdown. If I cut my grass she would cut her grass. Anything I did outside she would have to do it too. Thank God she moved last year. She never worked outside the home and when I retired I never got away form her prying eyes.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we got new neighbors with young children they actually came and asked us, in advance, whether the sound of children laughing and playing in their yard bothered us. I told them, truthfully, that it only bothers me when I hear a child screaming in pain and no adult responds.

On the other hand, we once had next door neighbors who had two Shetland Sheepdogs, who apparently believed that their human owned the entire neighborhood and it was up to them to drive out the "trespassers." He'd take his dogs for walks and the little beauties would bark aggressively at everyone they met, until the day my 6'7" husband got fed up and barked back. :flail: Apparently Roger speaks fluent canine, and what he said was "It's my neighborhood, and I'm bigger than you." The astonished little guys immediately hid behind their human (who was laughing his proverbial @ss off), and never barked at Roger again. They still barked at everybody else, though...

Margret

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha! I've called my upstairs neighbors the vampires because they'd do things like vacuum and rearrange furniture in the middle of the night. They have a small kid - I think as she's gotten older it's happening less frequently.

I'm in the middle floor. I wonder what the lady downstairs thinks when Lelia gets the zoomies.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a basement studio apartment and this place is a lot better than another place I've lived. My upstairs neighbor isn't as annoying as my last upstairs neighbor. I think my current neighbor is a piano teacher, but she is pretty predictable in her loudness so it isn't so bad. At my last place, the upstairs neighbor had a kid that screamed and cried all the damn time. I was so close to murder while living there. The dad of the screaming kid always would make a disgusting hacking cough for like 20 minutes every night around 1am. It was revolting.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have lived in apartments and hated it. I'll never do it again. Now though, I have to deal with the idiots next door. They have family that live slightly down the street and across from us. How do they communicate? By yelling of course. They each stand in their driveways and yell. Splendid. The woman who lives next to me is incapable of having a conversation in a normal tone of voice even if the person she is speaking to is a foot away from her. Her 2 young children have inherited her big mouth. Hooray for the world. :mad2:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ HA ... :clap2: Such funny comments ! After reading them I feel guilty complaining about my own neighborhood ... (~ and cats ! )
:paperbag::catman:

tangers40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
FINALLY getting out of the apartment life as I am building a house. I will definitely not miss upstairs neighbors. Or neighbors that share a common wall.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We were spoiled and had the best neighbors for a long time until the ones behind us sold their house. The new neighbors act like they own the neighborhood and forget they are not on 5 acres of land. I feel as though we get the brunt of it. They have put more "stuff" in their yard than the outdoor furniture store, The Great Escape. :rolleyes2: They had enough outdoor lights installed to service a late night drive thru because they think it will deter wildlife. I have to close the blinds just to avoid the glare. Please, don't even get me started. And to top it off they do not monitor their kids or their kids' friends when they come over to play. They are screechers and I constantly see the little darlings scaling our fence - seriously thinking of putting up a higher fence. The best part of winter is that they stay indoors. ;) All the surrounding neighbors who are gems have also expressed their displeasure.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to live in a basement apartment that had the worst landlord in existence - said he'd fix the plumbing (backed up toilet) and never did, the door to the apartment couldn't be locked from the inside, etc.. We ended up moving into my parents' basement when we got sick from the plumbing, and then the landlord began threatening us for non-payment of rent.

Our upstairs neighbors, however, were wonderful. Two young women who had an absolutely gorgeous dog, a purebred St. Bernard named 'Dusa (short for Medusa). They'd bred 'Dusa, and all but one puppy was stillborn. They found 'Dusa in the back yard trying to lick life into her poor dead pups and had to take the pups away and bury them so 'Dusa could concentrate on the one living pup, and it made 'Dusa feel very worried; she wasn't sure what they should have done about the dead pups but she just knew that burying isn't the correct way to raise a puppy (she still wasn't clear on the fact that they were born dead), so she worried that someone might bury her remaining pup and went to great lengths to hide the little fellow. Mostly that meant covering him with throw rugs. 'Dusa's poor humans couldn't walk safely in their apartment without watching for suspicious lumps in their path...

I wonder what became of 'Dusa and pup. She was show quality, so the pup likely was as well. I hope her humans were able to find a place with a better landlord, which accepted pets.

Margret