Do you let your cat sleep in your bed with you at night?

evd98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I let mine sleep with me, she doesn't always want to but when she does I feel like I sleep better. She will usually sleep next to my head or in between my legs. I've never even heard of it having health problems but I don't think it causes any, seems to help me.
I agree that it probably has to do with seeking warmth when it's cold. Also if my bed is messy I've noticed she prefers to find a different spot, usually the chair in my room. She moves around alot too and sometimes will start in the chair and end up in bed or vice versa.

bobbie sue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Back in 1987 we adopted two kittens.  I don't recall exactly when it first started but one of our cats (she was full grown by then) began sleeping with me all through the night.  My husband was to my left and I to my right and after getting in bed, I left enough room for Midnight.  She crawled into bed right near me... we were face to face and before we both fell asleep she placed her paw right over mine since I kept my right hand near the pillow.  It was the sweetest thing and I loved that feeling of closeness.  I somehow doubt that health problems might occur from this action since we slept like that for years and there was nothing negative which ever resulted.  

kittykisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6 month old kitten always sleeps with me, she has since the first day I got her! I sleep much better at night when she's snuggled up next to me, and she always wakes me up with morning licks and kisses and it sets a good mood for the long day ahead of me! :D Here's a picture of her from the first night we brought her home, and a picture from last night! :) She's wearing a cone because she just got spayed haha

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Honeybee was on me because when I woke up there was a few treats on top of me. my boyfriend gave her treats when she was sleeping on me. I never felt her. I must have been out like a light. Kind of funny waking up with treats on my belly and no cat LOL

And I think its very healthy for them to sleep with us. It has been proven that petting an animal lowers our blood pressure and gives feelings of calmness in a very bitter angry world. Keep letting them sleep with you. You both will form a bond AND they will keep you warm at night so you don't need to keep the house as warm!

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No. Not because I would mind, but because I always toss and turn a lot and am afraid I might hurt Maxine.

I'm fortunate that she will only come up on the bed when invited. However, I frequently fall asleep while reading on the couch and she is invariably there sleeping on my chest when I wake up.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, yes. And sometimes it feels like it too. And did know it in short order.
Honeybee was on me because when I woke up there was a few treats on top of me. my boyfriend gave her treats when she was sleeping on me. I never felt her. I must have been out like a light. Kind of funny waking up with treats on my belly and no cat LOL

And I think its very healthy for them to sleep with us. It has been proven that petting an animal lowers our blood pressure and gives feelings of calmness in a very bitter angry world. Keep letting them sleep with you. You both will form a bond AND they will keep you warm at night so you don't need to keep the house as warm!
And when you keep the house cooler at night, the more they want to snuggle. On cold nights, if The Ladies are not by the wood stove, they are next to me or on me.

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No. Not because I would mind, but because I always toss and turn a lot and am afraid I might hurt Maxine.

I'm fortunate that she will only come up on the bed when invited. However, I frequently fall asleep while reading on the couch and she is invariably there sleeping on my chest when I wake up.
I toss and turn all night, too. I would not be worried about hurting Maxine. If I roll over, I guess they move out of the way. There is never a flat cat in the morning.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cucumella has now decided she must do some kneading on my stomach before settling down to sleep by my side. So now I must start my nights  by lying  down with a thick towel over me  to protect my flimsy nightdress  from her sharp claws.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I wouldn't worry.

They move when they have to, and position themselves as experience shows you won't bump into them. All my cats do. The only ones I'd worry about would be tiny kittens, or really old infirm cats.

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Yes!  Atticus and Thirteen have always slept on my bed.  I have two small dog beds on top of my bed and they've slept in those since they were tiny kittens.  In fact, after I brush my teeth at night I look at Atticus and Thirteen and say, "Go get in your cat bed!  Let's go get in our cat beds!" And they both practically pounce on my bed!  Of course . . . they know their bedtime treats are coming so that might be their true motivation.  Once they get on my bed they get their nighttime treats.  Then they each get in a dog bed (or sometimes they sleep in the same bed) and start grooming.  Once they're through grooming it's lights out. They will get up a few times during the night but by the time my alarm goes off in the morning they're back on my bed, looking at me all bleary-eyed and sleepy.  

I would REALLY be upset if they stopped sleeping in my bed.  I love waking up at night, reaching over to nuzzle a sleepy kitty's head and then hearing and feeling the ensuing purr . . . purr . . . purr. . . .

There's nothing more comforting and relaxing.
Love their names.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Cucumella has decided that I must get up at 8 o'clock. It is true that that has been my "getting up" time for a long time but sometimes I go to bed late and would like to sleep a little longer in the morning. Nothing doing, all my "NOS" are ignored. She licks my face, she hits me with her paws, she makes al kinds of funny noises with her throat and...........she wins. It has nothing to do with wanting her breakfast because I fill her water and dry food dishes the night before and she eats when she wants. What she cannot wait for is her morning scratch on her chin and behind her ears. :evilgrin:

Last edited: