Do You Have a "no-track" Mat Under Your Litter Box

angelsmom1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has very furry paws and tracks litter everywhere.  I am considering placing one of the mats under her litter box that is supposed to remove the litter that stick to paws as she walks away from the box. By the way, My cat is around eight years old.

Do they work? Would an older cat be irritated by the mat and refuse to go in the box after the mat is in place?

I welcome anyone with experience with these mats to share their feedback.

Thanks!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try putting the mat under the box so just a little of it sticks out at first.  Then, if it is accepted, pull more out until it is positioned like you want it.

I have never used a mat, but know about tricking cats into doing what you want.

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can get soft ones that have grooves instead of the hard ones with the little spikes and cats usually accept the soft ones no problem.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use twomats: a rubber Purrfect Paws mat partially under the litter box and a waterhog doormat on the other end of the rubber mat to extend to the doorway. The doormat works really well to keep litter from being tracked out of the bathroom. The surface is soft so your older cat should be fine with it.

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Try putting the mat under the box so just a little of it sticks out at first.  Then, if it is accepted, pull more out until it is positioned like you want it.

I have never used a mat, but know about tricking cats into doing what you want.
This would be a great way to introduce one! Never thought of that before - smart :)

We have one under our cat's box, as she has furry paws and the litter we use is a bit larger in size so it tracks! We use a mat that is softer, sort of like a then form with ridges, and I find it helps a lot :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelsmom1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thank you, Chromium Blues.   I didn't realize that there were more than one type of mat.  I will definitely look for a grooved mat.

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have used a few of the soft types and never had a problem.    The one I have now has a bunch of scraggly fibers kinda like a loufah to trap the litter.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It doesn't seem to matter what kind of mat I put under or next to the litter boxes. My little stinkers stand on the edge of the box and jump far enough so their feet never touch the mat. :frown2: