Do You Give Your Cat A Bath?

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We like to give them all a bath at least once in the summer. We also trim thier claws every 2 to 3 weeks. If you start bathing them early, they generally get used to it and there's no problems.

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I give one of my Ragdolls a bath. She is 11 months old and is about to get her 4th bath. Lita is really good in the water and also loves to be blown dry with the hair dryer.

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wash kittens once a week and adults once a month! I have persians and they have too much fur to clean them selves.

alcmene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would like to bathe Indie. Do you use luekwarm water. Do you use special kitty shampoo?

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my cats don't like water, and they keep themselves clean so I dont. I do trim there claws when ever they need it.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Luke warm water is good for giving cats a bath. Also, you want to make sure and get shampoo from the pet store made just for cats and kittens.

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've given a few our ours a bath. We had a basement flood earlier this year and she went down and flopped in the water...ewww..gross...so she had to get a bath. She was MAD!

Sasha (our Ragdoll) got a bath a few weeks back, he wasn't thrilled, but he cooperated.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our 4-year-old, shorthaired cat has only been bathed once, when he got into a bag of barbecue charcoal as a kitten. I have washed his feet and tail with a washcloth at times, but only when they've been particularly dirty. I don't clip his nails - he keeps them in very good (sharp) shape on his cat tree and scratching boards, though I check for ragged or split nails regularly.

jasminecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I too have persians and like dragonlady i give kittens baths once a week and adults onece a month. Most absolutely love it, they enjoy hte special attention and the blowdrying and grroming they get afterwards, they purr and rub themselves all over me with delight afterwards.
One of my cats, a rescue persian obviously has never been washed before i got him and he absolutely hates baths, will scream, cry claw and bite, so i'll only wash him if he really gets dirty.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bathe Peaches occassionally. She also is a Persian. But she doesn't like blow dryers! Scares the crap out of her! Poor baby. She startles very easily.

I got a tip from a book that helped Peaches be more comfy in the bath. It said to put a rubber mat on the bottom of the sink so she doesn't slide around. It works well!

tarav

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I personally don't bathe my cats, but I am a pet groomer and people bring their cats in all of the time to be bathed and shaved. Our area recently did an article in the newspaper about lyon cuts on cats and I have done so many of them recently I am sick of it. I am definatly a cat person but give me a dog to shave or bathe any day. Cat's are so much nastier than dogs and they have those claws!! OUCH!!

salemsmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had the most wonderful experence last night of washing all 7 of my cats. I have 5 kittens, 1 shorthaired adult, and one long haired adult. The kittens were kind of upset, but they cleaned up quickly afterwards. Vagabond (the short haired female) absolutly hates baths ((she was abused as a kitten and thrown into full bath-tubs of cold water)), and it's a fur flying clawfest every time... but I made a promise that every 3 months vagabond will get a bath. Hobo, I had to be careful about. She recently got the stiches out from when she was fixed 2 weeks ago, but so far it seems to me that she's ok with it. There usualy isn't that much of a fuss, but i find that having them all in the bathroom when i start, and slowly let each one out as their washed and dried, seems to work best.

I was also told that Johnson&Johnson baby shampoo woorks just as good as normal shampoo. Does it?

~ Salem

clarabelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
North Mississippi, just far enough away from MELVI
BK, my 15 month old cat gets groomed every 3 to 4 months, which includes a bath, nails clipped and fur clipped (he is a long hair, coon mix with lots of hair
) The new kittens, Nemo and Scamper are getting bath every two weeks my me. I used to give BK a bath, but he is so strong I can not hold him down, so the groomer does it with help. I bath them because they are inside cats, the outside feral cats, Scrappy Girl and Blackie Boy do not get baths.
Clara

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can use the baby shampoo, but I would recomend using something made for cats. The baby shampoo tends to dry thier skin out.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm allergic to cats

so even with the allergy shots & medicine, it's helpful to bathe the cats once a month. I use warm water (a cat's normal body temp is about 102 degrees) and a very gentle hypoallergenic shampoo designed for cats. It's also a good idea to put a dab of vaseline or puralube eye ointment (you can get it at the pet store) over the cat's eyes so you don't get shampoo in her eyes.

lynx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I actually have pictures of this cuz I thought it was funny.

Being a bengal, he doesn't mind the water TOO much. But he doesn't exactly like it either.

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep trying to give my cat a bath because he keeps getting pine sap all over him, but he freaks out as soon as he sees water. We just water sealed our deck and when it rains water beads up on it and he won't even walk on it, he just cries and cries like it's the atlantic ocean or something... lol.. I think I might try in a few minutes.. I better make out my will first..