Do you consider your cats to be your children?

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do not have any human children, and it is unlikely that I ever will, given that I am nearing 40 and have zero prospects at a relationship. However, I do think of my two kitties as my children and treat them as such. I often talk about them a bit too much. My family thinks that I am weird. I feel that my cats are my children though because I legally adopted them and have the adoption certificates to prove it! Are there any other (human) childless weirdos out there that feel the same way as me?

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is something that, as crazy an animal lover as I may be, I have never understood. I would never call myself a "meowmy" or a "fur mom" or anything like that. It makes me so uncomfortable when people describe me like that. I love them as much as I would human children (as much as I can say without the actual experience of having a human child), but the logical part of my brain is always quick to reassure me "these are not humans, these are not your babies, these are not your property (as the law would dictate)" -- these are my companions, and I am theirs.

Social animals see us as parts of their colony, pack, flock, etc. and while they may be on the more affectionate side and full of sweet baby-like features, I still don't think of myself as a substitution for a parent. I talk about them all the time, I think about them and how I can make their lives better all the time, I worry and stress about them, I love to spoil them, I love to see them grow into their confidence and personalities, but I am still very aware they had their own mothers (in one case, the mother of my birds was also one of my sweet little companions, so maybe that put things into perspective right off the bat), that we speak very different languages, have very different cues and social dynamics that don't always mesh, and obviously that we're different species. We're great friends despite all that, we've formed trusting bonds, we're family in the way that great friends can feel like, but they're still not "children" in my eyes.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My children are grown and on their own with their own families so I am not childless but my children have been on their own for a number of years now.  I don't think of my  kitties in the same way I do my children.  I love them and will do anything I can for them but I see them as beloved kitty companions not children.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course I do, she is my baby girl and will always be no matter what age she is.  I will always protect and love her as I would a human child.

princessanaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yup, I do ... i dont even call them cats... they have names and i call them by their names and expect people tell to name them while discussing my babies... they are my babies and i treat them as such... no matter what any one says... i am their mother.. a PROUD one!!! and i love them lotsss!!!View media item 194026  

Last edited by a moderator:

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not at all. The same way I love my sister and parents and never consider them my lovers.

I cringe when my vet refers to me as "Dad". I don't correct her, since many people likes to be referred to as mom or dad, but not me. My Jed is my buddy. Lifelong buddy. I'll feed, care, love and protect him for as long as he lives. We are the Michael Scofield/Fernando Sucre pair, the Amy Poehler/Tina Fey duo.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's strange to treat cats like they are children. (Lucky cats!) You give love, and get love in return and there's nothing wrong with that. Our kitties are family members, but our relationships with our cats is nothing like with our daughter, thank goodness they don't act like teenagers. Our cats' care, food, interactions, everything is different than with our child.

I would give my life in an instant to save my daughter's, but as much as I love them, I would not give my life for our cats.

Last edited:

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are animals.. but the ones that belong to me are family. I do call all my pets kids just as endearingly like I call Miagi Mig-Kid sometimes, but I don't treat them as if they are children. But I love them as much as any mother would love her human child.  Those that can't have kids or don't want kids can certainly call them their children. It doesn't offend me. I just have lots of love for my pets.. really. They are family not my children and they are a huge part of my family. I love them very much!

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are my babies and I am their mummy and that's all there is to it. Never mind that my human children get cross when I refer to my furbabies as their brothers.
They are my babies and I'll worry myself sick if they're not well. When they talk to me they call me mummy.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is my fur kid, with all the exasperating bits of love and pressure that comes with the name. I only wish he could have a brother, as sometimes my depression makes it hard for me to be the best fur mom I could be. I also wish I had a backyard.

I guess we can never do as much for our kids as we'd like, eh.

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to mirror @pinkdagger's reply. Right now, I see my pets as companions and their own person rather than something I have to nurture maternally.  

Perhaps if I were a person that thought more about a family, I might see my cat as my child. But I still see myself as a child! 
 I just graduated college and the furthest I've really thought about is when I will finally be able to be financially independent. 

And for those who say you're "weird"... Pssshhhhhhhh. You do you! There's nothing weird or wrong with seeing our pets as our children. It just means your love is so great, it can empathize and care for living things that some people might just see as things  rather than beings. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Shadow is first and foremost my mother's cat. With Asha, though (and the dog and pony) I'm their mum. However, I see them very much as animals as opposed to human babies. They get tons of affection and give it back to me, but while at some level they are the children I'll never have (especially Asha...Mum refers to her as my child and I spend way too much on toys for her), I never equate them to babies in my mind. Cats are cats, dogs are dogs and ponies are ponies. I worry like crazy when one of them is sick or injured, I'm devastated when I have to say goodbye, but part and parcel of truly loving animals (to me) is respecting their true natures.

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think of my cats as my babies and will do everything I can for them to be happy and healthy just as I would my human children. Im soppy when it comes to animals, always have been.

With that said I don't forget that they are still cats and I respect the fact and let them be cats. I wouldn't dress them in clothes or try and carry them around cradled like a baby. They have the run of the house (and garden) and are allowed to jump up on whatever they like. They come to me when they want affection and petting and this to me is what makes them very happy, well balanced cats.

Everyone is different with the way they feel and show affection but as long as our cats are being loved and cared for it doesn't matter weather we think of them as children or not.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, they're our kids. Furkids, but kids. I always say that I have to get home after work to feed the kids. We do have a human kid, but he's going to be 44 years old and he has his own family. In my mind, I guess the cats are companions, but we have always referred to them as the kids, furkids. They've been the kids forever, it seems.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Of course they're my kids! They might not have come from my womb, but I consider them as my children. My parents are slowly accepting them as their "Grandkits" lol

D

Deleted member 73596

Absolutely!!! My babies transcend being mere pets to me!:rbheart: They are family members and most of the time i prefer them over ppl lol
Same. You are a kindred spirit. Obviously I've been reading too much Anne of Green Gables...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are members of our family and we do consider ourselves to be the 'parents'. They love us unconditionally and give us companionship and joy. We know they are not human, but we love them with as much intensity as if they were.  There was a saying that I always think of when people think we are too involved with our animals..... CATS ARE NOT OUR WHOLE LIVES, THEY MAKE OUR LIVES WHOLE. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do not have any human children, and it is unlikely that I ever will, given that I am nearing 40 and have zero prospects at a relationship. However, I do think of my two kitties as my children and treat them as such. I often talk about them a bit too much. My family thinks that I am weird. I feel that my cats are my children though because I legally adopted them and have the adoption certificates to prove it! Are there any other (human) childless weirdos out there that feel the same way as me?
I'm not childless.I have a 20 year old DD. She's away at school most of the time now so it's me and the furkids. Yes, they are my babies, I'm mommy and DD is sister. She loves that I refer to her as sister to them. I'm 45 and a widow so there's no way that any more human kids are going to be joining our little family anytime in the near or distant future. DD is pretty certain that she doesn't want kids so more than likely I'll have grandcats and that's perfectly fine with me. As for people who think that's crazy. Let them. Who cares? It's my life and they make me happy. I'd rather spend time with 100 stray cats than with 10 small children. The cats would likely be better behaved and have better manners.