Do you collect your cat's whiskers?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine, recently deceased, was doyen of the cactus and succulent society / world. He saved whiskers from his cats, and had me save them from mine. Why? To use in pollinating a certain genus of cactus. Cat whiskers apparently were just right for moving pollinia from one flower to another.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes it do.
I also make wooden cat figures that can hold real whiskers in the face.
I was thinking about selling the figures but don't know if other people would want a whisker display or not?
Not sure if people would buy them, but your cat figures sound cute.  

I've only found 1 of Ruby's whiskers so far, and I did save it.  It's in my little knickknack box along with a couple feathers from a budgie I had many, many years ago.

Last edited:

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think I've ever found a cat whisker with any of the 7 or so cats I've had in my life. I suppose if I'd thought of them I'd assume they were lost at some rate since they are modified hairs, and hairs all eventually fall out and regrow, but I sure never thought about it.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've a collection of whiskers from all of them but I never found baby teeth more's the pity.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did, I am so glad to see this question, & know I'm not the only one!  I originally started saving them with a purpose in mind. My nephew's girlfriend is a talented artist & thought "one day" I would get her to do a painting of Angel, & add the whiskers as a sort of decoupage/3D look. Now that I lost Angel last month, I am so glad I have them, & still want to do that some day. 

Stephdp1977

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didnt intend on keeping a whisker collection. I found 1 and didnt have anything i wanted to wish for so i stuck it in a candle. Then i found another one and so on and so yes now i collect them. I have this 1 candle that probably has 75 sticking out of it. I think making something for us whisker collectors to put our whiskers in is a great idea. Im glad im not the only collector in this world.

Stephdp1977

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes it do.
I also make wooden cat figures that can hold real whiskers in the face.
I was thinking about selling the figures but don't know if other people would want a whisker display or not?
I wouldnt mind seeing what u make for the whiskers. Would love to have something besides sticking them in candle wax.lol

Janani.R.S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never found Bailey's whiskers either, having him for so long and not finding a single whisker is very embarrassing!

Crazy8catlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
no but I did save my cats baby teeth lol I was surprised to have found them when I did. I have a molar and a fang. His fang was easy to find. He had my pant leg and he pulled his own fang out lol then I stepped on it. Mr. T got me good with that one.