Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 100.0%

• Total voters

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Next weekend is best days of the year for many kids, I'm curious if there are other 'kids' that don't celebrate Christmas anymore?

For me all that business around it and pretending I found from people around me was bit too much and I have not celebrated Christmas for many years now, it is day like others to me, but of course I do see how for many it is important day. However I don't think I'm only one who has chosen not to 'take part'.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kind of. I get my DD and the furkids gifts but we don't decorate or anything like that and we are not religious. It's become so commercialized and gets worse every year. I think it's more fun when you have young kids. 

For the most part, it is just another day for me too except most stores/businesses are closed. 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm Jewish, so obviously no.

My fiance, while he grew up celebrating, hasn't in years. 

Gifts only go to his grandchildren and my younger nieces and nephew.  Money or done online - we can't be bothered otherwise.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Absolutely. We celebrate a secular holiday, more so than a religious one. (I still believe in Santa Claus)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kind of. I get my DD and the furkids gifts but we don't decorate or anything like that and we are not religious. It's become so commercialized and gets worse every year. I think it's more fun when you have young kids. :dk:

For the most part, it is just another day for me too except most stores/businesses are closed. 
I guess that commercialization describe quite well what quite largely gets me turned away from celebration. There is a lot of good deeds done of course, but that tends to be almost invisible with the all commercial 'noise' around.

I'm quite surprised how many others there are that do not celebrate Christmas.

Jewish celebration of Hanukkah is bit similar in scale to Christmas I guess, but I guess it is still different (based on what very little I know), there are also other cultures and religions with their own big days, where more or less original idea is carried to these days, sadly I don't know enough about all those in this world so that I could of put appropriate poll options to other cultures and religions.

missm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As a Catholic I definitely celebrate Christmas - but at the same time I really dislike the commercialization going on. I hope everyone has a beautiful and refreshing Christmas or holiday of your choice 

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't missed a Christmas yet! For me & my family it's to celebrate the birth of Jesus, as that's the point of Christmas. Even if people aren't religious, most know about the little baby in the manger.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't put up a tree or any decorations except for a wreath on the door. I do send gifts to my two sons and their families, but that may change next year as the shipping costs so much it sometimes exceeds the value of the gifts. I will cook a holiday-type dinner for myself, but won't celebrate with anyone other than to go to church on Christmas Eve. This is a much-reduced holiday from the times my children were young.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I celebrate Christmas, but I don't give many presents any more.  My nephew gets consideration.  For me, it is a religious celebration.  And certainly a time of gratitude and joy.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes!! Life is depressing and difficult enough. Id rather find opportunities to celebrate and be cheerful. Im not religious at all, to me its just a holiday and i say "Merry Christmas." It doesnt bother my non religuous views lol. No need to get stuck on being PC. I give cash to my younger siblings and parents. Got a few presents for my bf. I am planning on steaming delicious dungeness crab for Christmas eve.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
No, I don't celebrate.

We used to get a present from Father Christmas when we were kids, but as soon as we were too old for that we stopped celebrating altogether.

My family aren't religious and my husband's family are Buddhist, so it would be kind of strange to celebrate a Christian festival. Actually I do exchange gifts with TCS friends, but that's more in the feeling of solidarity with other cat lovers than a belief in Santa. 

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not so much anymore. I'm not religious and there are no kids around anymore. Il give my grand nieces and nephews money for Christmas. My sister and brother have become difficult to be around so I'm pretty much on my own on Christmas. I do enjoy the Christmas TV shows and the Christmas foods.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don't celebrate.

We used to get a present from Father Christmas when we were kids, but as soon as we were too old for that we stopped celebrating altogether.

My family aren't religious and my husband's family are Buddhist, so it would be kind of strange to celebrate a Christian festival. Actually I do exchange gifts with TCS friends, but that's more in the feeling of solidarity with other cat lovers than a belief in Santa. 
If I remember correctly, Christmas is pretty popular in Japan! Of course just the fun aspects and not the religious parts. But maybe not in your area?

I don't celebrate Christmas.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes and no.  We don't celebrate the religious aspect of the holiday and generally we don't decorate much, either.  This year we have the chili light wreath up.  

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. We don't have kids, and don't have any family in the area. I haven't put up decorations in years (you just have to take them down again!)  But I do like seeing the lights and such.  It is not a religious holiday for me, especially since it started out as Saturnalia and morphed into what we now call Christmas. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If I remember correctly, Christmas is pretty popular in Japan! Of course just the fun aspects and not the religious parts. But maybe not in your area?

I don't celebrate Christmas.
They're huge on decorations, but that's about it. All the public buildings, hotels, hospital and village hall etc, have got Christmas trees up but this area is mainly populated by elderly farmers. I don't think they know what it's all about.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I do. We celebrate the religious aspect of it... exchange gifts (just my parents and brother and I get gifts for Angel, the dogs and my dog nephew Archer) and have a nice dinner.

To us even though it's a religious holiday; it's also about family time to us. We love being together and that matters more than any present in the world.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We do, but it's very low key (and secular), i.e., a few decorations, small gifts, and the in-laws over for dinner on Christmas Eve. We probably wouldn't even bother with a Christmas tree, a.k.a. "cat toy tree". if we didn't have pets.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, a celebration of Christmas has been part of my life for as long as I can remember. I became a Christian early in life as being in church was just as normal as going to school. Our grandmother made sure we were there every time there was a service. It is a commercial holiday and many folks get their focus on that. But I enjoy buying and giving gifts, although it becomes more limited as we grow older. We enjoy the special things at Christmas like parades. The local schools give a free concert put on by all the school bands. We enjoy the cantatas given by some of the choirs at local churches. In other words, our Christmas is a true celebration of the birth of Christ, not the getting and giving of presents, shopping, etc.