Do you allow...?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
my kitchen doesn't have any doors, so of course they're allowed there. that's also where their dishes are. they're pretty much not allowed on the counters, & they don't get up there [much] unless they do it when i'm asleep or away. my counters are pretty full of stuff, so there's not much room for them, anyway!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't really choose an option. They are not allowed on the counter tops. I'm afraid they may burn their selves if the walk near the stove.

But they are "allowed" on the table (their rule lol)

kaskacats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, my cats aren't allowed on the counters, I think it's gross. They don't normally jump on them, at least not that I know of, lol.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted that they go where they want, but they don't go up on the counters much. I don't have much counter space so when I'm cooking there's not really anywhere to go as what little there is is taken up by me. If Mosi jumps up on the counter when I'm cooking I just lift him down.

Originally Posted by Lemur 6

But but but! Cat hair is part of a well balanced diet!
j/k I just had to.
Cat hair gets everywhere anyway, even if they don't go on the counters.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I answered "yes, as long as I'm not cooking", but don't tell my mom, she told me I needed to be stricter with my kits

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I'd have selected two answers, if I could. As it was, I chose the 2nd option. Buffy gets up onto the counter whenever she pleases (though it certainly doesn't please the rest of my family, lol). It's pretty much a lost cause to teach her to stay off, though. She's so stubborn and strong-willed! Molly and Willow, on the other hand, still have a chance, so when Molly hops on the counter, I immediately place her back on the floor. So therefore, Molly very rarely jumps on the counter (she'll sometimes jump up if she's really hungry, or I accidently left out an empty can of cat food that I forgot to rinse, etc.). But she never jumps up otherwise. And Willow doesn't jump up, period, lol

fraggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The table and counters are strictly off limits. In fact, they get chased off if they come poking around during dinner time. It's just because I don't want any of my younger cousins sneaking bits of food down to them. That leads to bad habits I don't want to deal with.

All I have to do is look at both of them and say, "Get" and they both wander off to some other part of the house. I wonder how long that command is going to last.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't allow them on the countertops or table. Sometimes they try to get on the table, but they know better. We have never had them attempt to try to jump on the counter. Lexi was found as a stray and I can't keep her from jumping up on my desk in my room.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The top of our refrigerator is one of Dexter & Sadie's favorite spots when I am preparing their wet food.
To get there, they have to hop on a counter.

I am very careful about the top of our stove.
When a burner is hot...
I watch them very closely.
They are not to be trusted.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only Swanie gets on the counters. I voted I let them do whatever they please, because it's a lost cause with him. He's not really allowed on the counter I use to cook on, but lately he's been getting up there, so he can hop to the fridge and onto the top of the cabinets. Usually he hangs out on the part that hangs out, like where you're supposed to eat at (which we don't). Neither DH or I are freaked out by cat hair (it's everywhere anyway).

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As soon as they hear the garage door opener, all three girls run into the kitchen to greet me as I come in the back door. Lola is always waiting on the counter top by the back door. That seems to be the only time and the only one who gets on the counter. Maggie once got on the kitchen table to eat the tops off of some lemon poppyseed muffins I had cooling, but no one routinely seems to get on the kitchen table either. I voted that they do, but not when I'm cooking, because Cleo has rarely gotten up on the counter to look out the window over the sink. They are expressly forbidden to get on the stove, and nobody (thankfully) even tries to get up there.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I said yes except when I'm cooking, but it's not quite any of the items in the poll. I allow mine on certain portions of the countertop - the step-up bar counter is called "the cat walk" (it overlooks the large windows and bird feeders) and they can get on the counter to the right of the sink, which is far away from anywhere I cook.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. However, Chynna is too old to jump on the counters. Abby only jumps on one part of the counter by the fridge and that is only to get up onto the top of the fridge and then the cupboards above.

I have a glass topped table and Abby loves to lay on it, and Chynna does too sometimes, but her favourite spots are usually lower to the ground, on me, or on the back of the couch near me.

I've never told my cats to get down from the counters. If they were both countertop kitties, I would enourage them to not be on them while I was cooking. Not only for hygenic reasons, but also for their safety. I'd hate to see them get hurt on the stove.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pepper (aka Fat Cat) is always on the counters! I absolutely hate it, but can't get him to stop! He gets on the counter when I am cooking, when no one's in the kitchen, just whenever he feels like it! I HATE it! Petunia, on the other hand, is my wonderful well mannered kitty. Whie she has lapses once in a great while (twice since we have lived here), she rarely gets on the counter. I don't have a kitchen table anymore or I am sure Pepper would be on it too.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of mine go on the counters.. its the only way for them to get to the 'cat walk' (plant shelves).

But we have two-in-one counters... its like a regular counter then raised 6" in the middle and then a breakfast bar... so they only go on the breakfast bar part, not the lower side where I cook. It's not a hygiene thing... my boys are just very nosy and I don't want to accidentally hurt someone if a little nose gets in the way while I'm slicing an onion or something.

So I voted "not while I'm cooking"

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats are trained to stay off the counters and dining room table. It takes persistance and consistency from the whole family but it starts the first day we get a new kitty. I cook all our meals and it is not sanitary to have litterbox feet where we prepare and eat food.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh poop! I voted for the wrong one. I voted they do what they please.

What I meant was Kitty is free to go in the kitchen as he pleases as thats where his food is but he never jumps up on the work tops. He`s very good like that

Maisie doesn`t go in that part of my flat.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they usually don't climb on the countertops or the dining table.