TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I believe my answer to your question would have to be:

Yes, my cats allow me in their kitchen.
Thats how it is here too
But when I'm cooking- they know they aren't allowed up there

I wipe everything down daily with anti-bacterial spray before/after cooking- so everything is clean anyways, if they are up there or not!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brandi

LOL allow was a bit of a strong word for a cat..they generally do as they please..I know my babies do I just wipe down everything with clorox wipes before I cook an when guest are over I put them in their room until we eat
We know who the REAL rulers of the house are here, and guests do, too! Anyone who isn't prepared to acknowledge it is definitely NOT invited back

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL thats the way my husband and I are if you dont like our babies dont come in our house
My father in law hasnt been in our house since we bought it our the first one because he hates anything that isnt human...and it doesnt bother me at all
In fact I think both me and my husband are happier for it! He doesnt get along with his dad all that well anyway and Ive never got along with his dad. His mom comes over quite a bit though she really likes the cats and the dogs calls them her grand"babies"

allie72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No I prefer they stay out of there until it's wet food time. Not that Georgie listens to me at all. She practically races you to it.
I see evidence of gray or black fur on the counters all the time...so 3 of my kitties are suspects.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not home 24/7 and can't keep them out of the kitchen. I keep a spray bottle of bleach solution, for wiping down the counters, before I fix food.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We keep them from going on there, however, they use them as the intial jupm before going on top of the fridge and eventually on top over the top cupboards that go all around the kitchen.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brandi

LOL thats the way my husband and I are if you dont like our babies dont come in our house
My father in law hasnt been in our house since we bought it our the first one because he hates anything that isnt human...and it doesnt bother me at all
In fact I think both me and my husband are happier for it! He doesnt get along with his dad all that well anyway and Ive never got along with his dad. His mom comes over quite a bit though she really likes the cats and the dogs calls them her grand"babies"
...awww, I feel sorry for the man.
He's missing out on the most loving, loyal friendships he could ever have.
Let's hope he wakes up and smells the catnip sometime soon, eh?
(Let's work on him!)

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

No, i just don't think it's sanitary. Even if they're not up there when i'm cooking, i don't want fur on my counters if i can help it. My kitties have never tried to get up there though (except Isabella- to steal a massive chicken leg
) so i don't really worry over it. If they get up there i just pick them up, tell them "no" and redirect them to another part in the house where they can play/lounge around and give them treats when they're in the places they're allowed so that they associate the spots i want them in as good places
I'm the same way. I can't stand them being on the kitchen counters or table. They can do pretty much whatever they want, but not there. I don't mind them walking through the kitchen and dining room, but I just can't handle them being near the food, where I cook, or where I prepare my baby's food.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are not allowed on the counter and if they jump up, they get hollered at (usually do it when we are eating supper and not in the kitchen at the time).

We keep the dishes and counters clean so that kinda stops them from constantly jumping up there.

hank_n_angel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats are allowed everywhere in the house, includig on counters and tables, except when we are cooking (to avoid cat hair and for cat safety) and when ever my dad is eating at the table (he gets mad when the cats jump on the table during dinner)

moonlights mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I let my cat on the counter but only when I'm not cooking. He sheds so much it would be dangerous! LOL. The kitchen counters are Moonlight's favorite places to hang out.

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I believe my answer to your question would have to be:

Yes, my cats allow me in their kitchen.
That's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread! They both pretty much own the place, so I've given up trying. I clean everything before cooking as well. They will often try to come up while I'm cooking, but I just blow on their faces and they hop back down.

When guests come, they are usually busy hiding from or playing with the guests, so I don't have to worry about that so much.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's impossible to keep them off the counters and table which is why I let them do it when I'm not using it.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I chose "they do whatever they please," but this really only applies to my oldest, Katie. She's terrible about getting up on the counter tops (she's notorious for stealing food and dive bombing into the trash can after) and considers the dining room table her own personal lounging area. She's the only of mine that does this, though, so no big deal.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave up that fight long ago.
It was pretty futile trying to keep them down. Now one of them won't eat his wet food if I don't put it on the counter for him.

I voted "yes, but not when I'm cooking" I clean the counters/table before we use them. And usually when Nabu is done eating I also clean the counters.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, when I see them on the counter tops I come over and tell em to get down... Usually this results in a meow aka "why mom" and then I just pick them up and place them on the floor. Ive had to do this many times in the past, and now they seem to know better. On rare occasion do I catch one of the kitties on the kitchen counters... However they do feel they are allowed to walk on our end tables and coffee table... I try to deter that as well since the tables are glass with a black finish (the black finish gets scratched up from their claws)... My cats are pretty good about what furniture is welcome to their use...