Do we have to start over on FVRCP vaccine if cats (always indoor) didn't get booster?

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! Love this site. 2 kittens we raised from birth and have always been indoor have both had initial fvrcp shot (one w/in 3-4 mos. of birth; one several mos. later) but we didn't get the boosters as I've been dealing with elderly parent in and out of hospital. Both are very healthy. They are about 1 3/4 years old now.
This is an excellent site re not over-vaccinating by a vet who said that she measured titer of 3 or her cats just before they died at 18-20 years old for fvrcp and they all had enough in their system even though they hadn't been vaccinated since they were kittens. This vet knows what she is talking about!
So the point is do we just call it good? In the excellent article she refers to guidelines in place for 20 years which state that w/ fvrcp at least 3 years should pass by between shots.
I kind of just want to leave well enough alone, esp. as they're indoor cats. Thoughts? Thanks.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Three years between shots, but only after kitten shots + 1 year boosters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Maury. Just out of curiosity, are your cats pictured Maine Coons?
Thanks for info. However, since they missed boosters, the question is should we give them boosters now that they're really late or just do basic shot over, start again?

Per article I cited, author (a vet) says that many vets over-vaccinate. For instance, a local program we were going to use to vaccinate cats would have given the feline Leukemia/AIDS vaccine. Upon a little bit of reading later on, I determined that since the cats are indoor and the one who had been outdoor tested neg., that this vaccine wasn't really necessary and that there can be bad side effects. So I'm glad we didn't end up going that route for other reasons; but, at the time, I would have just listened to people running program and done all that they said.

And, as the vet in article above says in her post, the recommendation on FVRCP vaccine is for not more than every 3 yrs, but that doesn't necess. mean u have to do it every 3 yrs.

So am just wondering on others' exp. Has anyone done FVRCP booster way late? Has anyone missed FVRCP booster and titers were just fine? Thanks!