do the cats know I'm pregnant??

yuna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been noticing a change in Leeloo's behavior (she's 7 yrs old I've had her since she was a kitten) lately, I'm currently 14 weeks pregnant with my first, and Leeloo has just been very attached to me! If I go to bed early my husband will close the door to keep out light or noise and if Leeloo gets left out of the room she'll paw at the bedroom door and meow like crazy until she's let in. She also loves to come sit on my belly and purr like crazy. she follows me EVERYWHERE in the house, and the cutest is when I'm at the mirror putting on make up or brushing my teeth she'll be sitting right at my feet just staring at me

my other cat, Ziggy has always kind of been my 'shadow' he loves to follow me around, but I haven't noticed a huge change in him, I'm wondering if Leeloo senses it because she's female??

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many things that affect how we smell, and hormones are one of the major factors; you can bet your cats know you're pregnant. In fact, they probably knew before you did.

AC

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I think they do. And when DS was little and I was breastfeeding him *all* the time I swear they understood what was going on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yuna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think its really cute! Leeloo is so protective, but there have been a few times where I almost tripped over her and fell because she's always walking under my feet!!
I really wonder how they are going to be with the baby, I'm not too worried since they are both very gentle cats and both do really well with strangers, they've just never been around babies or kids before.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'd be surprised. Parker had never even seen a baby in the 5 years before I had him. When my brother brought over his new baby girl, Parker was very, very gentle around her. He wouldn't even get within 5 feet of her for the first month or so. After, he would approach her and smell her head a little, then sit at a distance and watch her (Sometimes he'd sit on the back of the couch and watch over her). Even when she got old enough to start tugging on his fur, he never even flinched. It was sweet.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I agree. I'm sure they knew before you did.

I've known cats to be very good with babies. When I was younger I lived with 7 kitties, some sweet and affectionate, some not so much. They all loved my little brother, though, from the day he came home and even as toddler.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neice wasn't expecting to get pregnant with her fourth. Her husband said, I think your pregnant. She said no way I'm not even late. He said the only time the dog follows you like that, is when you are pregnant. eight months later Evan was born

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

My neice wasn't expecting to get pregnant with her fourth. Her husband said, I think your pregnant. She said no way I'm not even late. He said the only time the dog follows you like that, is when you are pregnant. eight months later Evan was born
LOL! That's too funny.