Do spayed cats need a special type of food?

dopbe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everybody,

I would like to know if cats, when spayed, can still eat "standard" type of food.

Thanks a lot

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, of course they can :) I've never heard of changing a cat's diet simply because of spaying/neutering. Just carry on as you have been. The only reason to change food is personal choice (yours or the cat's ;) )

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm guessing you are asking the question because MAYBE you have heard that once animals get spayed, they have a tendency towards gaining weight?  And THAT is not the food's fault, that is the feeder's fault.  Just feed the amount of calories needed to maintain a healthy weight and everything should be good.

Maybe these articles will help you out a little bit:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/choosing-the-right-food-for-your-cat

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-compare-cat-foods-calculate-carbs-dry-matter-basis

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-much-food-should-i-feed-my-cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dopbe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

Thank you for your answers and information.

Best regards.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Simple answer no just feed to the cat the calorie calculators are awesome to help with that ....  How old is kitty ? If still a kitten very little caloric need change ... 

dopbe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

The cat is approximately 8 months old.

But on the subject that has now been mentioned, I also have a doubt : isn't the cat supposed to eat according to its hunger, what ever it is?

Thank you

PS: Excuse my possible english mistakes. I'm not totally fluent on the language.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In theory, a cat is supposed to eat to its hunger. In practice, some pet food manufacturers have done such a good job at making their foods appealing that sometimes cats will eat beyond their hunger, like we sometimes do with yummy food. Kibble is particularly prone to this issue. That's why it's a good idea to keep an eye on the cat's waistline too.

I feed on demand, but I keep a close eye on the cats' weight too. At the first sign of gain, I reduce portion sizes a little. Also, if the cats suddenly get fussy about the food or stop clearing their plates, I take that as a sign that they're getting more than they need and adjust accordingly. I feed Asha an all wet diet, and Shadow a mostly wet diet.

If you're feeding kibble, it's a good idea to measure it out as it's far easier to overfeed. Also, you'll need to take extra measures to boost fluid intake to compensate for the dryness of kibble http://www.thecatsite.com/a/tips-to-increase-your-cat-s-water-intake

Hope that all makes sense :)

*I should add that an 8 month cat will still have a little growing to do. [B Proportionate gain is fine. Warning signs for gain are things like losing waist definition altogether, tummy hanging down, unable to feel ribs etc.

Last edited:

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Colubine covered most of it ... 8 months is still kitten by the most strict of thinking many cats actually dont finish till age 2-5 ... I also monitor and adjust the bag is only a guideline 

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only time I have changed my cats diet is when they won't eat their normal foods. All of mine are spayed/neutered and they eat the same as always.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I free feed my cats. I have dry food available at all times and water too. They get treats and canned food a couple times a week. My Luci definitely gained weight after her spay but neither of my boys did. They are all just over a year and was spayed around 6 - 8 months of age. Luci's weight gain isn't extensive but she don't eat a lot. She guards the food dish and gorges herself when the boys are around but other than that she just picks at it. She don't like too many treats but LOVES canned food so I have to limit her on that.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, cats are 'suppose' to eat according to hunger. However, sometimes if a cat was homeless and didn't know whether or when her next meal was coming from (if at all), she will overeat. And then if/when she finds a home, the trend will continue until she feels safe and secure that she will always have enough food.

dopbe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for answering. The information was useful and good to know.

Best regards