Do some cats just have watery eyes?

crickets mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats.  2 are litter mates, and the other is their mama.  The male kitten (6 months old) has always had watery eyes.  The other 2 do not.  Its both eyes.  It is clear discharge, like he is crying.  He has no other symptoms.  It has happened scince he was little.  It only happens every now and then, like maybe once or twice a week. Its just a little bit, not streaming tears, just wet under his eyes. It does not bother him.

I have looked at a lot of other posts, and every one ive found on eye discharge, it seems like there is always other symptoms, or it just started suddenly. 

Im not to worried, because he seems just fine. I guess it could be allergies.  I know its not totally normal, I was just wondering if some cats just have eyes that water.  Is this something I should be worried about?  What do you guys think?

By the way, I had him nuetered at the begining of Jan, and my vet did a pre surgery check. She listened to his heart, lungs, and checked him all over, and said he is very healthy.  I didnt mention the eye watery thing at the time.  I guess I shouldve, but I just didnt think of it.  Also, he is current on all his shots.

Last edited:

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A good guess would be feline herpes. The next shot in the dark would be turned under eye lashes.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Baby Cat gets watery eyed like this, just one eye, and not always the same eye.

Always has, no other symptom of any kind, she's coming up on 5 years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crickets mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A good guess would be feline herpes. The next shot in the dark would be turned under eye lashes.
Mr. Blanche--If it was feline herpes, would he have other symptoms, or can watery eyes be the only symptom?  Also, would my other cats have it, because neither of the other cats get watery eyes? How do they get it?  How do they test for it?  That was obviously my top concern, and why I asked the question.

I dont see any turned in eye lashes, but maybe I just cant see them? 

Arlyn--So do you think its nothing to worry about?  I hadnt been really that worried, until I started making myself paranoid by reading about all the things it could be. 

Thank you both so much for your responses.  I really appreciate the input, either way.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I'd be overly concerned, but I'd definitely bring it up with the vet, as I did in Baby's case.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Ramsey cat has had watery eyes since I brought him home from the rescue group.  I've had him to the vet at least 3 times over it and have gotten the same answer from 2 different vets.  He is a Snowshoe and this can be common in cats with his eyelids.  It is nothing to be alarmed about.  Now this was my cat.  If you are overly concerned about the discharge, please consult your veterinarian. I know I was concerned but am not any more.  I simply clean his eye daily with a cotton swab and saline solution.  keeps it nice and clean and he is a happy boy

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The watering eyes can definitely be the only sign of an ongoing feline herpes infection.  I have a couple of cats that will do that under stress, but a few days of l-lysine usually takes care of it. 

Now, we did have a cat who had a persistantly watery eye that just didn't seem to heal up.  We finally took him to a vet for a thorough check of the eye.  He anesthetized him (he hated the vet's office) and thoroughly examined the eye itself.  He found a long hair actually behind the eyeball.  He carefully removed it, and Snoopy had no more trouble with that eye.  But I think that sort of thing would be very rare.