Do Some Cats Just Hate Lightweight Litter?

Jbrookat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am having a litter box issue with one of my kitties, and hoping for some insight.

I have 2 kitties that I adopted about a month ago, Toffee and Mittens. They are female littermates and very attached, and they don't seem to have any territory issue with each other. I have 2 litterboxes set up for them, one with a cover and one without. Both boxes are filled with unscented litter, but I caught a deal on some lightweight litter a while back and have been using it in the open box. I have been using regular clumping litter in the covered box, which seems to be the more heavily used box.

Last weekend, I decided to switch the lightweight litter to the covered box because it is easier to scoop and doesn't turn to concrete in the corners. But one kitty objects to this new arrangement, because they keep pooping every morning on the carpet in our den. I don't know who is doing it, and I have been spraying down the area with Nature's Miracle, but it has happened every day for four days now.

This morning, I switched the litter back to how it was before (lightweight litter in the open box, clumping litter in the covered box) and I am hoping that helps. However, I am curious if this is a common issue? Do some cats just hate the lightweight litter? My old cat, Libby, did not have opinions about her litter. I just bought whatever was on sale. But these new girls have opinions, LOL.

Here's a picture, just for fun. Toffee is the Tortie, Mittens is the calico.

Attachments

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Yes. Some cats are definitely picky about litter. They may not like the way it sits in the box or how it feels on their feet. My cats are VERY picky about food but not about litter. I think the only litter they refused to use was the Paws & Claws from Tractor Supply Company because it was SO dusty.