Do Siamese Bite A Lot?

GataAgapy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I’ve been thinking about getting another cat and I’ve always loved Siamese ever since I was a little girl but never had one. I would be getting a traditional Siamese as opposed to the modern Siamese.

I’ve read that they are loyal, afffectionate and talkative which are all lovely traits, but I’ve also read that they are known for biting a lot. Can anyone advise on wether this is an accurate portrayal of their character and also whether they get on well with other cat breeds?

Thank you so much!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Siamese cats can be demanding, but they are not typically aggressive. Here's a quote about Siamese temperament from a recent article on this site:
"Are Flame Point Siamese Cats Mean?​
Siamese cats are affectionate, social, and relatively high energy. Because they enjoy playing and can be persistent to get what they want, their assertive and dominant personality is sometimes misunderstood as mean or aggressive. Siamese cats are very intelligent, so they quickly learn how to get what they want from their owners. Remember that your cat is always paying attention and learning from what you do. Use positive reinforcement to encourage desired behaviors, and make sure not to reinforce negative behaviors."​

Ir's important to remember, however, that not all cats in a breed have typical temperament for that breed. Different bloodlines may have more typical or less typical breed temperament, and in addition, every cat is an individual. If you get a cat from a breeder, it's a good idea to have a conversation with them about the parents' temperament and the kittens' individual personalities.

If you are thinking about getting a moderate type Siamese cat (also known as "traditional" or "old-fashioned" Siamese), there are many different options to consider:
  • Some breeders advertise their cats as "traditional," "old-fashioned" or "apple head" Siamese. Many of these are purebred, registered Siamese. However, sometimes people advertise cats as "traditional" Siamese that are actually pointed domestic shorthairs without significant Siamese ancestry. If a kitten or cat is being sold to you as a Siamese, the breeder should have documentation, such as registration and pedigree.
  • TICA has also recognized the "Thai" breed. This breed is meant to represent the original type of Thai Siamese. The foundation for this breed comes from both old "traditional" Siamese bloodlines, as well as new imports from Thailand.
  • The Tonkinese breed was originally a cross between Siamese and Burmese cats. In some ways it is similar to a moderate type or "traditional" Siamese. Some Tonkinese cats come in the same pointed colors as the Siamese.
  • Finally, there are lots of moderate type pointed cats available in shelters and rescues! Many shelters and rescues refer to pointed cats as "Siamese" or "Siamese mix." Some may have more Siamese ancestry than others, and their temperament may vary, however, there are lots of wonderful pointed cats out there that need homes. Since you are looking for a cat with moderate type rather than a more extreme show type Siamese, you might find the perfect cat at a shelter or rescue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GataAgapy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for replying! I agree adopting a rescue is a great idea too. I’ve recently adopted a cat from Romania who was found on the streets. He’s a black and white tuxedo and very friendly and affectionate 😊 I live in the UK and there aren’t as many rescue places where I live, I honestly don’t know why. We adopted our rescue cat via a charity that rescues cats in various countries in Europe. Thanks so much for all the info on Siamese and colour point! I really appreciate it 😊