do pregnant cat display personality of unborn kitten

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I think my cat is around 5-6 week pregnant.
But since she got pregnant I think she got more active. She used to be very quiet, calm and chill but now she's running around crazy and even jumps like the male cat she mated with (he jumps really high and is a very active cat)
So I'm wondering whether mother-to-be cats display behavior and inclinations of kitten to be born in her womb

Kee

High Velocity
Young Cat
Purraise
No haha. That's not how it works.

Being pregnant, her hormones are all over the place and she's hungry. Have you ever been friends with a pregnant woman? They can be vastly different from their usual personalities, and she'll probably go back to normal after the kittens have grown up a bit.

It could also be that she was a bit depressed before, and now she is happy and has more energy to expend playing and jumping around.

Good luck on the kittens and I'm glad she's more active :D

ratjamz

FirstMomma
Kitten
Purraise
I have never really noticed this specifically. What I did notice was momma cats do change the way they act when they begin nesting. They become more anxious and active as they begin to prepare for their litter. I am cautious to have toms around pregnant, and new mommas as fights can insue and I have seen toms try to injure new kittens they perceive as a threat to their resources. I believe what you are seeing is the natural preperation for her new litter.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I understand your concern but I doubt that my male cat would do the kitten any harm because he's so gentle and he's not really driven by instinct like other cats
but my concern is whether my cat is actually pregnant or not, because considering that is almost the end of week 5-6 her tummy should be getting bigger but is still the same.. at least to my eye
Do you think she's pregnant?
20210508_144031.jpg
20210508_144109.jpg

I thought the little side bump was baby bump but looks too small to be 5-6 week pregnant
I need some opinion from tge experienced on this

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you have intact cats who mated she is very likely pregnant. Time will tell. Do you plan to spay and neuter your cats in the near future?

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I do. But even though they are intact my male one is still a kitten so he doesn't know how to mate properly so this time may be unsuccessful

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If that’s the case, then schedule them both for their spay and neuter right away before a pregnancy occurs. You’d be surprised how young intact male and female cats can successfully mate.

Otherwise, it is irresponsible to let mating occur. TCS is a pro spay and neuter site and we encourage cat owners to take responsibility and get their cats fixed and keep them separated until they are desexed. Since you do not think your cat is pregnant, now is the time to spay and neuter both cats.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So you dont think she's pregnant? She hasnt been on heat for like a month so I dont want to risk complication if she's pregnant

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What do YOU think? You just said your male does not know how to mate and you plan to spay and neuter them now.

There are not normally any complications associated with spaying a young female cat even if she has recently conceived, which is apparently not the case since you say your male cat is too young to mate and your female does not look pregnant. Get them fixed!

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What I meant was that male is inexperienced at mating and struggled to work out how to mate
He is all mature (sexually) but still a kitten since he's 9 months
Also IF she has successfully mated then she's half way into pregnancy as she had her last heat just ovee a month ago
I was asking for your opinion as to whether or not you think she's pregnant from the photo of her side as I cannot really tell as I haven't seen pregnant cat at 4-5 week my whole life

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Interesting hypothesis of momma acting as the oncoming personality of her unborn childs.

I have never heard of this, so I cant confirm. But I dont think so.

BUT we know the kittens takes of the personality of both momma AND daddy. Its proven gentle and friendly toms tends to get kind and easy handleable kittens...

Toms are potential threat for kittens, its no pure myth. But this is essentially for unknown toms, new to the revire.
Toms whom are friends with momma are no threat. If something happens this is pure accidents; the tom doesnt know what small kittens are, becomes afraid and swipe with a paw... That is why its wise to supervise them the first times they do meet and calm them by talking sweetly.

But a tom whom is friend with momma may even act co-parent. It doesnt even need to be the biological father, its more than enough he is friends with momma. This phenomen happens quite often with breeders.

Observe, if you notice momma is stressed by the tom, or hostile to him: do separate them at once. But if they are friends and she wants him near, you may let them be together.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes my cats have been friends since the first day they met as my male cat is quite friendly but he does annoy her sometimes by being too clingy when he bite her neck or tries to mount on her
Not sure if he's trying to mate with her but I think its just a play. Also they groom and play chase with each other
I dont really think he's the kind of cat that would do any harm but as you said accidents can happen so if the female cat give birth I'll definitely be on their watch
The whole hypothesis of mom displaying behavior of the kittens came up because I used to hear things like human mothers tends to start liking the food and hobbies she did not like before when pregnant and it turns out that the baby that's born like those things which mothers used to strangely like all of sudden when she was pregnant, so I was wondering if that applied to cats as well
But now that I think about it I think its a non sense because cats have litter of kittens not just one like us

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your male kitten is not playing when he bites her neck and tries to mount her. He is trying to mate. It is his testosterone and instincts that drive all intact male cats to constantly want to mate.

Time will tell if your female is pregnant. If she is not, it won’t be long before she is if you continue to allow mating to occur. Mating is very painful for the female as the male penis has sharp barbs on it.