Do potassium levels affect coat softness?

swanjun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! My kitty, Baker, has chronic renal failure and recently started receiving the powdered Renal K+ potassium supplement twice a day. I hadn't thought he was showing any symptoms yet, but it turns out his constipation problems were at least partly a potassium issue, as the supplement has helped a lot in that regard. Another thing I noticed, though, is that his coat is feeling really soft these days. Could potassium also help with that? It's not the case that he slacked off on grooming and is just now feeling well enough to continue, as he's been fastidious this whole time.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I haven't heard of that being an effect of potassium supplements, or a side effect of low potassium, but are there other 'ingredients' in the Renal K+ that might be helping with his coat?

Hopefully, you will hear from other members soon who are more familiar with the use of potassium supplements!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , other ingredients in the supplement could give your cat's coat a softness. It could be some oil (Omega 3 and 6), for instance, or any fat in the supplement.
And I agree with the constipation. My cat had a sever lack of potassium due to a disease, and her ability to be consistent with her litter box was heavily affected! When the potassium level was restored, everything was back to normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swanjun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! It also occurred to me maybe it was the Churu that I'm mixing the Renal K+ into having some effect, too. I'm not using the type of Churu that specifically is for skin and coat, though.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat with IBD it is hard to deal with hope he feels better soon

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

swanjun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hm. His levels weren't super low so maybe it just made the hair less soft. :)