Do our cats name us, as we name them?

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello to you all! 

So, I have this question and I would appreciate any opinion or feedbcak from you.

I have noticed that when Grizzly wants something from me, he makes a certain sound. I don't know how to actually 'write' it, to be as descriptive as possible.. It's like "Mawa" 

Of course he makes a lot of different sounds, he's very vocal (too vocal actually). But when he wants me specifically to e.g. turn the faucet on for him to drink water, or wants his daily treat, or it's play time etc... he makes this "Mawa" sound. And he makes it in a way like a person would call me, by my name.. for example "Sapien?" (no, I was not vaptised Sapien, but work with me! LOL) It almost sounds like a question, but not entirely. He makes different sounds towards my mom.. Well, he hisses at my dad, but I don't blame him 

So, I've come up with a theory: What if he "calls" me by the sound that I make around the house? Cause, about a trillion of times, I use the word "Mama" which is "Mom" in Greek. In conclusion, he might use or imitate this sound I make, to call me. So, as he is Grizzly to me, I am "Mawa" to him (?).. And maybe.. he has named me "Mawa"?

Any thoughts? Or should I start medication to fight my illusions? 

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds possible. Our very talkative cat calls for me with a much different meow than when he is trying to find our kitten so that he can play with her. He has a much quieter and different sounding meow for when he talks to my fiance.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with you on this one!! Robin will meow as most indoor cats do , but sometimes, if he's impatient, I swear it comes out as "MO-OOM", the rest of his calls are two squeaks. Like a "mimee. I'm always calling myself "mommy". Mommys going to bed, mommys getting your food ready, mommys cooking dinner. I really do think cats give us names!

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Gosh, in the 5 months since I adopted Paul, I have yet to hear a single sound! He even purrs silently.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Good to know I'm not crazy! 

This "Mawa" sound is so "creepy" in a way! 2 days ago, Grizzly made it again and my mom replied from the other room! She thought I was calling for her and that I was messing with her, when I told her that Grizzly did it.. Cause, if you're not near to hear it clearly, it sounds like "MaMa" from afar, not "MaWa".. He even imitates the tone of my voice! 

Well, I always kinda thought that his "meow" is a bit "girly" for a male 
 but, OK.. Sometimes, when he's just meowing, for no apparent reason, it's like he's trying to form words. Kinda like, a toddler who hasn't spoken clearly yet and like "making up words"? Something like that. 

I believe he's just imitating again, the sounds he hears. And since the vocal method is a cat's way to communicate with us (because we are vocal in our communication), maybe they're trying to imitate our sounds. How many times, have we watched Youtube videos, where pets make sounds like human words? I personally have watched more than plenty! Of course, they're not actually speaking. But the sounds are pretty close to some words. 

e.g. I watched a husky making a sound like "I love you"... In a "woofy" way of course.. no clear consonants, but the vowels were pretty clear! The dog may not know the actual meaning of the phrase. But if his "owner" has said so many times this phrase to him, he may have picked it up.

So, I guess they do name us, in a way.. And they do distinquish the sounds according to whom they address. And the way to do this, is to imitate the sounds each of us makes. 

Oh! Almost forgot! @Margd  : Paul may seem "quiet". Grizzly was too. For the first 7-8 months of age. Then, he started "stating" his existence in a way. So he started being totally vocal, amongst other things... On the other hand, Paul may remain on the "quiet side" and use other ways to declare his demands. How old is he, anyway? 

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
@grizzleySapien: Paul is almost three years old. I adopted his sister Chula at the same time and she's almost as quiet as Paul. All my previous cats have been talkers so this silence is eerie. Love how your baby talks to you by name!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Margd, so you have had both of them for 5 months, but they are adults, right?

Well, I don't think they'll change. But, there's nothing wrong with that! it means that you might not have any "after-hours concerts" 
 Grizzly is like a four-legged time bomb, which goes off every morning at 04:30-05:00. He gets on the stage (highest point of the house) and starts meowing trying to form words. That's what I was talking about in my previous reply. He sometimes insists so much that one of us gets up to shush him, or do anything to draw his attention and make him stop. Of course this results to us waking up and Grizzly doing his "thing", gettin' tired, and going back to sleep.. While we already look like this: 
 Yeah.. "Goodmorning, sucker" LOL

I miss when he was a baby. He went to sleep at 23:00 and slept until 07:00 ..aaahhh.. Good days!