Do other cats like getting subcutaneous fluids?

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been treating my 16 year-old with sub-q fluids daily, as per my vet's order, after she was briefly hospitalized with pancreatitis. (Her recovery is going well.)

The thing is, she seems to like the process for some reason. She's started showing up where I administer them to her every day at the time I usually give them. She sits in my lap on a towel and purrs through the whole process.

Does she know it makes her feel better???

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My 16 year old cat also gets fluids several times a week. She lays in my lap and settles in. She too purrs softly on occasion. It's quite possible she's realized that the fluids make her feel better, as well as enjoying time spent in your lap. Whatever the case, I'm glad her recovery is going well!

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had a similar situation.
Many years ago we had a diabetic cat. He seemed to have realized that getting his insulin injection made him feel better. If we were a little late giving him his insulin (twice a day) he would seek us out and meow to let us know that he wanted his insulin to make him feel better.

Over the years we have a couple of cats that required subcutaneous fluids at some time. We never had any problems. While they didn't necessarily purr, they were patient and calm while we administered the fluids.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, I never would have thought so. Was a very hard time when we had to do it, and my brother had a difficult cat, basically couldn't do it at all.

TBH as I understand it from grilling a vet or two . . . it doesn't buy a lot of life, if its done for kidney issues and I probably wouldn't even try to do it again for that. Pancreatis might be different in that regard though.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Max didn’t like it, but he was pretty good about it, particularly after I started to put him in one of those tall-sided Sterilite bins with my husband petting his head and talking to him. I think the worst part for him was the fluid sloshing in his armpit as he walked away! :lol: