Do not use cheristin for cats!!!!!!!!!

Cymru

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I work at a veterinary clinic we were told to try cheristin on our office cats. We did and it killed one of them! This medicine is EPA approved not FDA approved!! The Elanco Company first put this product on the shelves under the name Assurity and after numerous animal deaths they took if off the shelves and repackaged it under the name Cheristin. When I contacted Elanco and told them about the cat's death, they told me nothing like this has ever happened before, but i highly doubt that our clinic cat would of been the first to die from this!! The Elanco Company offered to pay for a autopsy and when i asked the autopsy doctor about the results he said it was CHERISTIN that killed her!! I have been doing as much research as possible and I highly suggest you do too!! There is no expiration date on the box! How is that even possible? There is no way it could last forever and not go bad. The main ingredient is Spinetoram, a pesticide used to kill insects on trees!! I want this to be known so no one will ever use Cheristin and have anymore animals die!! PLEASE only use a product that is FDA approved for all animals!! Elanco told me the incident with my office cat passing away would be reviewed and not much else would be done about it. I can not believe it. We love our office cat and would never want anyone else to go through this heartbreaking ordeal!!!
I work at a veterinary clinic we were told to try cheristin on our office cats. We did and it killed one of them! This medicine is EPA approved not FDA approved!! The Elanco Company first put this product on the shelves under the name Assurity and after numerous animal deaths they took if off the shelves and repackaged it under the name Cheristin. When I contacted Elanco and told them about the cat's death, they told me nothing like this has ever happened before, but i highly doubt that our clinic cat would of been the first to die from this!! The Elanco Company offered to pay for a autopsy and when i asked the autopsy doctor about the results he said it was CHERISTIN that killed her!! I have been doing as much research as possible and I highly suggest you do too!! There is no expiration date on the box! How is that even possible? There is no way it could last forever and not go bad. The main ingredient is Spinetoram, a pesticide used to kill insects on trees!! I want this to be known so no one will ever use Cheristin and have anymore animals die!! PLEASE only use a product that is FDA approved for all animals!! Elanco told me the incident with my office cat passing away would be reviewed and not much else would be done about it. I can not believe it. We love our office cat and would never want anyone else to go through this heartbreaking ordeal!!!
My vet recommended Cheristin and my cat has been sick ever since I put it on her. She became weak and lethargic following the application. Then she developed matts all over her body where the fur clumped together. The matts had to be cut off. Now she has developed a spleen mass which is likely cancer. She is not eating and her right side is swollen and she is weak. The spleen processes blood and I think the toxin in Cheristin crossed the Blood Bairm Barrier and attacked her spleen. I've spent over $2000 on diagnostic tests and they are inconclusive. Now the recommend a $5000 splenectomy. Avoid Cheristin!

jules10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cheristin for Cats killed my cat in 2016. I too contacted Elanco and I opened three (3) cases (one for each cat I had at that time). They offered me nothing. Once of their "veterinarians" contacted my and it was disgraceful! She would not admit a thing and claimed that it did not state that lethargy was a side-effect. I told her it is PRINTED ON THE BOX as "inactive", a synonym for "lethargy".
Here I am 2+ years later. All I can do is spread the word. I suggest you do the same. I cannot tell you how many cases I have personally found in the small area I live in -- 100s at least!
I found that the local KILL shelter throws Cheristin for Cats, Comfortis (contains spinosad and is used in tablet form on both cats and dogs) and Trifexis for Dogs in the garbage if they receive it as a donation! That should tell you something don't you just think?
This is horrific. I wonder how many more cats and dogs have died since my beloved cat died in 2016? Hundreds, thousands? HOW MANY Elanco? HOW MANY CASES ARE THERE?

jules10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
MORE NEWS RE:
Animal Drug Safety Communication: FDA Alerts Pet Owners and Veterinarians About Potential for Neurologic Adverse Events Associated with Certain Flea and Tick Products

September 20, 2018

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is alerting pet owners and veterinarians to be aware of the potential for neurologic adverse events in dogs and cats when treated with drugs that are in the isoxazoline class.

Since these products have obtained their respective FDA approvals, data received by the agency as part of its routine post-marketing activities indicates that some animals receiving Bravecto, Nexgard or Simparica have experienced adverse events such as muscle tremors, ataxia, and seizures. Another product in this class, Credelio, recently received FDA approval. These products are approved for the treatment and prevention of flea infestations, and the treatment and control of tick infestations.

The FDA is working with manufacturers of isoxazoline products to include new label information to highlight neurologic events because these events were seen consistently across the isoxazoline class of products.

The FDA carefully reviewed studies and other data on Bravecto, Credelio, Nexgard and Simparica prior to approval, and these products continue to be safe and effective for the majority of animals. The agency is asking the manufacturers to make the changes to the product labeling in order to provide veterinarians and pet owners with the information they need to make treatment decisions for each pet on an individual basis. Veterinarians should use their specialized training to review their patients’ medical histories and determine, in consultation with pet owners, whether a product in the isoxazoline class is appropriate for the pet.

Although FDA scientists carefully evaluate an animal drug prior to approval, there is the potential for new information to emerge after marketing, when the product is used in a much larger population. In the first three years after approval, the FDA pays particularly close attention to adverse event reports, looking for any safety information that may emerge.

The FDA monitors adverse drug event reports received from the public or veterinarians, other publicly available information (such a peer-reviewed scientific articles), and mandatory reports from the animal drug sponsor (the company that owns the right to market the drug). Drug sponsors must report serious, unexpected adverse events within 15 days of the event. In addition, they must submit any events that are non-serious, plus any laboratory studies, in vitro studies, and clinical trials that have not been previously submitted to the agency, on a bi-annual basis for the first two years following product approval and annually thereafter.

The FDA continues to monitor adverse drug event reports for these products and encourages pet owners and veterinarians to report adverse drug events. You can do this by reporting to the drugs’ manufacturers, who are required to report this information to the FDA, or by submitting a report directly to the FDA.

To report suspected adverse drug events for these products and/or obtain a copy of the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) or for technical assistance, contact the appropriate manufacturers at the following phone numbers:

Merck Animal Health (Bravecto): 800-224-5318
Elanco Animal Health (Credelio): 888-545-5973
Merial (Nexgard): 888-637-4251
Zoetis (Simparica): 888-963-8471

If you prefer to report directly to the FDA, or want additional information about adverse drug experience reporting for animal drugs, see How to Report Animal Drug Side Effects and Product Problems.

Additional Information
Fact Sheet for Pet Owners and Veterinarians about Potential Adverse Events Associated with Isoxazoline Flea and Tick Products

Contact FDA
240-402-7002
240-276-9115 FAX
Issued by: FDA, Center for Veterinary Medicine
7500 Standish Place, HFV-1

Rockville, MD 20855

Animal Drug Safety Communication: FDA Alerts Pet Owners and Veterinarians About Potential for Neurologic Adverse Events Associated with Certain Flea and Tick Products

The word is slowly but most certainly seeping around. The vet that killed my kitty is no longer employed at the animal hospital that he worked for. Many veterinarians are refusing to use these poisons on their pets. One down, a million more to go.

I see they have Elanco's telephone # now. Oh yeah ... bring it on!

Roguer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So what are good flea preventative treatments to use? The San Francisco SPCA recommended Cheristin for my newly adopted 4-5 month old kittens. Cheristin has good reviews in the aggregate on Amazon and other sites (acknowledging that every product has some good and some bad reviews), but then I saw this thread. I'm looking for recommendations because the kitties did have fleas before they were adopted, and had one flea treatment in the shelter from which they were adopted (not in San Francisco), and I understand that even though they are indoor cats, it's prudent to do at least another treatment to make sure all the fleas are gone from the flea lifecycle. Appreciate any thoughts.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your adopting and concerned with them bring fleas with them, Just bathe them in water/dawn (or most any mild dish soap). If you get alot in the bath water, rinse and repeat.
Otherwise for preventative measures or when dealing with an existing flea problem where they live, use Advantage or....really whatever you feel safest about.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
MORE NEWS RE:

September 20, 2018

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is alerting pet owners and veterinarians to be aware of the potential for neurologic adverse events in dogs and cats when treated with drugs that are in the isoxazoline class.

Since these products have obtained their respective FDA approvals, data received by the agency as part of its routine post-marketing activities indicates that some animals receiving Bravecto, Nexgard or Simparica have experienced adverse events such as muscle tremors, ataxia, and seizures. Another product in this class, Credelio, recently received FDA approval. These products are approved for the treatment and prevention of flea infestations, and the treatment and control of tick infestations.

The FDA is working with manufacturers of isoxazoline products to include new label information to highlight neurologic events because these events were seen consistently across the isoxazoline class of products.

The FDA carefully reviewed studies and other data on Bravecto, Credelio, Nexgard and Simparica prior to approval, and these products continue to be safe and effective for the majority of animals. The agency is asking the manufacturers to make the changes to the product labeling in order to provide veterinarians and pet owners with the information they need to make treatment decisions for each pet on an individual basis. Veterinarians should use their specialized training to review their patients’ medical histories and determine, in consultation with pet owners, whether a product in the isoxazoline class is appropriate for the pet.

Although FDA scientists carefully evaluate an animal drug prior to approval, there is the potential for new information to emerge after marketing, when the product is used in a much larger population. In the first three years after approval, the FDA pays particularly close attention to adverse event reports, looking for any safety information that may emerge.

The FDA monitors adverse drug event reports received from the public or veterinarians, other publicly available information (such a peer-reviewed scientific articles), and mandatory reports from the animal drug sponsor (the company that owns the right to market the drug). Drug sponsors must report serious, unexpected adverse events within 15 days of the event. In addition, they must submit any events that are non-serious, plus any laboratory studies, in vitro studies, and clinical trials that have not been previously submitted to the agency, on a bi-annual basis for the first two years following product approval and annually thereafter.

The FDA continues to monitor adverse drug event reports for these products and encourages pet owners and veterinarians to report adverse drug events. You can do this by reporting to the drugs’ manufacturers, who are required to report this information to the FDA, or by submitting a report directly to the FDA.

To report suspected adverse drug events for these products and/or obtain a copy of the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) or for technical assistance, contact the appropriate manufacturers at the following phone numbers:

Merck Animal Health (Bravecto): 800-224-5318
Elanco Animal Health (Credelio): 888-545-5973
Merial (Nexgard): 888-637-4251
Zoetis (Simparica): 888-963-8471

If you prefer to report directly to the FDA, or want additional information about adverse drug experience reporting for animal drugs, see How to Report Animal Drug Side Effects and Product Problems.

Additional Information
Fact Sheet for Pet Owners and Veterinarians about Potential Adverse Events Associated with Isoxazoline Flea and Tick Products

Contact FDA
240-402-7002
240-276-9115 FAX
Issued by: FDA, Center for Veterinary Medicine
7500 Standish Place, HFV-1

Rockville, MD 20855

The word is slowly but most certainly seeping around. The vet that killed my kitty is no longer employed at the animal hospital that he worked for. Many veterinarians are refusing to use these poisons on their pets. One down, a million more to go.

I see they have Elanco's telephone # now. Oh yeah ... bring it on!

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What's most alarming to me is that I just checked the FDA veterinary adverse events reports for both "Cheristin" and Spineotram" and found nothing for either. I'm grateful a Google search led me back to the The Cat Site before applying $180 worth of Cheristin I ordered online. Since several of my rescues have medical issues, I won't chance using Cheristin. Thank you to all who posted their experiences.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found a lengthy report on Spinetoram/Cheristin having to do with Elanco's application to market the product in the E.U., which it withdrew in 2017. The European Medicines Agency Committee for Medicinal Products for Veterinary Use (CMVP) "Withdrawl Assessment Report for Cheristin".Under "Risk Assessment", then "Safety" then "Risk for Target Animal" -
Risks for the target animal: Risks for the target animal have been identified in the various studies conducted and principally relate to pruritus, hypersalivation, frothing, vomiting, behavioural changes (excessive grooming/biting/scratching, hyperactivity/agitation, shaking/flicking head) and local reactions at the application site (hair loss, erythema, scaling, scabbing). The final wording to be included in the SPC concerning adverse events, their frequency of occurrence and signs of overdose could not be finalised in the absence of additional information.

Full text of report :
https://www.ema.europa.eu/documents/withdrawal-report/withdrawal-assessment-report-cheristin_en.pdf

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a lengthy report on Spinetoram/Cheristin having to do with Elanco's application to market the product in the E.U., which it withdrew in 2017. The European Medicines Agency Committee for Medicinal Products for Veterinary Use (CMVP) "Withdrawl Assessment Report for Cheristin".Under "Risk Assessment", then "Safety" then "Risk for Target Animal" -
Risks for the target animal: Risks for the target animal have been identified in the various studies conducted and principally relate to pruritus, hypersalivation, frothing, vomiting, behavioural changes (excessive grooming/biting/scratching, hyperactivity/agitation, shaking/flicking head) and local reactions at the application site (hair loss, erythema, scaling, scabbing). The final wording to be included in the SPC concerning adverse events, their frequency of occurrence and signs of overdose could not be finalised in the absence of additional information.

Full text of report :
https://www.ema.europa.eu/documents/withdrawal-report/withdrawal-assessment-report-cheristin_en.pdf
o_O
I'll skip this treatment, I think.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I want to share an important link to use if you're researching adverse reactions to veterinary prescribed medications. Unfortunately, some topical flea treatments are under the jurisdiction of the EPA and won't be reported to the FDA (Cheristin falls in to this category, but it was developed with two versions of fermented Spinosyn/Spinosad and Spinosad has many adverse events reported.)

You'll want to scroll down to the middle of the page from the link that follows, and on the right you'll see a box titled "Cumulative Veterinary ADE reports". They're divided A-C, D-I etc. Check for the brand name of the medication you are researching, and the scientific chemical name of the main ingredient.

Adverse Drug Experience (ADE) Reports

Cleo0325

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cheristin for Cats killed my cat in 2016. I too contacted Elanco and I opened three (3) cases (one for each cat I had at that time). They offered me nothing. Once of their "veterinarians" contacted my and it was disgraceful! She would not admit a thing and claimed that it did not state that lethargy was a side-effect. I told her it is PRINTED ON THE BOX as "inactive", a synonym for "lethargy".
Here I am 2+ years later. All I can do is spread the word. I suggest you do the same. I cannot tell you how many cases I have personally found in the small area I live in -- 100s at least!
I found that the local KILL shelter throws Cheristin for Cats, Comfortis (contains spinosad and is used in tablet form on both cats and dogs) and Trifexis for Dogs in the garbage if they receive it as a donation! That should tell you something don't you just think?
This is horrific. I wonder how many more cats and dogs have died since my beloved cat died in 2016? Hundreds, thousands? HOW MANY Elanco? HOW MANY CASES ARE THERE?

Cleo0325

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My beautiful healthy 13 year old cat, Cleo died suddenly and out of the blue 3 days after I used Cheristin on her! I’m devastated and am in complete shock!! It just happened this past Sunday. She had a stroke and died in my arms! She had no symptoms prior to using the Cheristin. I rushed her to the vet to see if there was anything they could do to revive her but it was too late. The vet tried to say it was cardiomyopathy but I know it was the Cheristin. She was on no other meds and just had a check up with a clean bill of health. I had a bad feeling about the Cheristin after putting it on her and tried to wash it off her the next day and it was too late. She already absorbed it into her body and then died two days after that!

Cynthiafl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow I'm sorry to hear that many are having trouble with this product. I was just reading about it and thinking of getting some when I came upon this fhread.

The reason I'm posting is just to provide a bit of information regarding pesticides on pets. The OP mentioned that Cheristin contains a product used in agricultural use, then goes on to imply that it makes it inherently harmful because of that. Imidacloprid (advantage) and spinosad (Comfortis) are also used as pesticides in agriculture. So just because a product is used in agriculture as a pesticide it doesn't mean it's automatically bad for a pet, with proper use and without the pet having underlying or impossible to detect conditions.

A human with as yet undiagnosed kidney problems can be killed by eating a starfruit.

Anyway, I'm sure this doesn't make anyone feel better, I'll continue my reading now.

Victronix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn't see anyone mentioning that Cheristin applied to be sold in the EU in 2017 but received objections to the application, then withdrew.

The overview is here - Cheristin: Withdrawn application | European Medicines Agency and the report itself is here - https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/docume...withdrawal-assessment-report-cheristin_en.pdf

Basically, although much of what they found would have made it acceptable, they were concerned about restricted (confidential) information, an issue with impurities, and questions about the claims of eliminating fleas in 12 hours. They do not mention anything about the specific information found on this forum about possible genetic defects leading to deaths, so I would assume they were unaware of that aspect.

"The final wording to be included in the SPC concerning adverse events, their frequency of occurrence and signs of overdose could not be finalised in the absence of additional information . . . However, there remain questions relating to the active substance regarding re-designation of the starting material and the proposed limits for impurities and their qualification. In relation to the finished product, questions are raised regarding the limits for impurities in the finished product release and shelf life specifications and the qualification of these impurities. Deficiencies also arise from concerns over the (confidential) restricted part of the ASMF. . . . At the time of the application’s withdrawal, major concerns had been raised regarding quality and the proposed preventative claim. In the presence of outstanding major and other concerns, the benefit-risk balance of the application was therefore inconclusive."

Victronix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn't see anyone mentioning that Cheristin applied to be sold in the EU in 2017 but received objections to the application, then withdrew.
Oh, opps - someone did post this above also. Thanks.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been using Cheristin on all six of my cats, and, so far, no problems. The fleas got resistant to Advantage so I got that as an alternative.