Do not use cheristin for cats!!!!!!!!!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Laura Hammonds, I'm very glad to hear that your Bigfoot came out of it okay, and I hope the diatomaceous earth works well for you. And welcome to TCS! We're very glad to have you here, and hope to see many more posts from you and Bigfoot. I think you'll find that this is a very loving, supportive environment for cat lovers.

Margret

DeannaF

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's kinda scary! I guess all other flea treatments work similarly. So actually it is poison but not in such an amount as to kill the animal, just the flea. But I have to wonder what are the long-term effects of these treatments. We now know what it is with Cheristin (or Assurity). What other long-term effects of this poison are there? Cancer? Neurodegenerative disorders? Heart disease? Kidney disease? Cats don't just get sick for no reason, so everything they have been exposed to or ingested is suspect, whether topically or via GI.

Is there any safe alternative on the market? Poison is not safe. Is there any safe natural alternative?
It *is* a poison and the exact reason I do not treat with flea meds with any of my animals. I have 2 dogs as well as my kitten. I give my dogs flea baths reguarly and I also have my yard (front and back) sprayed to rid of fleas. I don't live in a wooded area but I do live in Florida and fleas can be awful here so I make sure to stay regular on the 2 things I do and I don't have a problem. Also, making sure the dogs stay groomed (fleas LOVE long hair-more fur the better). I have to make sure my dogs are controlled with fleas to not transmit to my indoor only cat...so it all goes together.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, Laura. I hope all is well with you and family today. I felt with my current mood (the glass is still half full kind of a day...having to remind myself), that I perhaps should do what I came here to this thread to do, which was to stop following it, and not respond to your plea as I might come across as less than tactful or even rude. But to not respond would also be rude I think.

Seeing what happened to Bigfoot and your thoughts, listen to your heart and mind, then do the right thing. Since you're here in this thread, you know what to do about the Cheristin. Dump that vet.

Fleas are parasitic insects. Follow the ingredients of most if not all pharmaceutical manufactured treatments and you will find them to be low doses of known pesticides. Some are less harmful than others to the bodies and central nervous systems of our pets but still, they are what they are. Personally, if I had to choose between the harmful effect of a flea infestation on my pet or the side effects of the known safer vet prescribed flea treatments I would side with what my vet recommends unless circumstances present themselves as in your case or public response citing severe adverse reactions (this forum)

In my opinion, no matter what path you take, you will expose your pet and/or yourself to harmful risk, whether it be the flea treatment ingredients or the fleas and the diseases they can transmit through its bites or being ingested from the cat's grooming. There are vet prescribed treatments that are effective and less harmful or have fewer side effects than what your vet prescribed. Both our bodies have mechanisms designed to deal with contaminants to an extent. Like medications and foodstuffs we as humans consume every day, cats are no different. Some people have zero allergic reactions to peanuts or peanut ingredients (I devour chunky peanut butter from the jar) while some have serious but non-fatal reactions (triggers an asthma attack in my daughter), while another might have a fatal reaction (young child died from eating a rice crispy cake that had peanut as an ingredient at an outing). The chemicals in pharmaceutical flea treatments are no different.

I personally could not look my cat in the face as he is scratching like a paranoid person imaging insects are crawling all over them, clumps of fur lay about the floor (thank you new Vac) and I can feel the flea bite allergy scabs on his skin and think to myself that I am only treating his problem with "food grade" DE (diatomaceous earth). I think you're supposed to dust your cat's fur with this stuff like a talcum powder. As of this reply, I have reconsidered its use as a supplemental aid on the carpet and bedding areas, combined with the use of a pharmaceutical product. I have had success with the Seresto Cat collar (again some state serious reactions) and most recently the Frontline Gold topical. The Frontline Gold appears to have taken at least four weeks to be effective, but this may have been attributed to the time required to kill the last flea (only takes one to wreck havoc on an allergic cat) in the home and for the allergic reaction to clear itself up.

My cat was in great shape afterward, then I got complacent and allowed his monthly treatment to sorely laps, and done a dumb thing...I took inside for a time, a stray cat after a trip to the vet to get examined, vaccinated, neutered and lastly dewormed and the Revolution flea topical. This left open a window of opportunity for my cat to get fleas again. He is back on the Frontline Gold topical (previously got one dose free at the vet, and a three pack to take home). I nerved up and broke open the tri-pack.

Be careful with the DE, following the directions and watch for the "crystalline silica" ingredient. In the military, this came with a warning on the MSDS for desiccants we used to absorb moisture in shipping and storage containers. If this stuff is in the DE it is a known respiratory hazard (per OSHA) for both you and your pets. I'm sure that I now have Frontline Gold ingredients on my face, as I am constantly burying my face into my cat's medium length fur coat. Be mindful of this ingredient it is listed, as you do not want yourself nor your cat inhaling it.

Why is Silica Hazardous? - Silica Safe cites the OSHA reg on Silica Hazard.
Diatomaceous Earth General Fact Sheet - The fact sheet got me to reconsider DE for use in my home. Knowledge is power! The power I can wield against fleas.

Last edited:

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

bellel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been having genetics tests done lately for some health issues and I've found out that I should not take certain medications. I'm sure some cats are the same way. I'm not saying that Cheristin isn't dangerous, but maybe some cats are more susceptible to its effects than others.

One thing that can be done that is non-poisonous is vacuuming. Vacuum as often as you can. Use a vacuum cleaner that has a bag. If you have an active flea infestation, immediately remove the bag from the cleaner and use a few large pieces of tape (like packing or duct tape) and cover the opening as quickly and completely as possible. Tie the bag up in a plastic bag and put it outside in your garbage bin. Don't put it in your kitchen bin. This is not a complete solution for an infestation, but it helps greatly if done often and correctly.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vacuum cleaners are relatively inexpensive. Mine is still going after years of DE, and any DE in the vac bag kills any fleas that are sucked into it. You could just get a cheap vacuum cleaner at a thrift store and use that when DE is heavy and use your other one when it has mostly been vaccuumed up.

Mary Nielsen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sad for what you and your cat went through...

But you have a great heart for coming here and SPREADING AWARENESS!

It is horrible what happened to your cat but we can use your experience and save other cats by letting other people know about this. Thank you for writing about this!

Julycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used revolution on our 4 cats until 1 of them, that lives with my son, but visits my home on weekends, got an infestation of fleas. My son had helped rescue another cat that had a flea infestation probably about a month prior. Although they weren't in the same room the rescue cat had been on the carpet and stayed in the apartment for 2 days which is where we think the fleas came from. I had taken the rescue cat with his new mom to my vet and he recommended the Cheristin. That cat did fine. So I thought I'll try it on my son's cat and my older cat. My son's cat did fine but I do believe it almost killed my older cat. He got very lethargic, the solution solidified on his neck and a couple days later he lost his hair in the area the Cheristin was. That was back in April 2017. He urinates a lot so I had his senior blood work done and it showed he was diabetic, had a flea infestation and other abnormalities. Our cats are indoor cats that go on the screened in pool deck. They don't have fleas. I did it as a preventative. I have changed his food to mostly canned. I can't get all my cats to eat canned only. He seems to be doing better now, not perfect by any stretch, but my husband and I really believe the Cheristin almost killed him.

aunty ehm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Back in the olden days before they had these topicals, we used to give all animals a bath often, that included the cats -- a flea bath it was called. We'd use a shampoo that killed the fleas and they'd die and down the drain they would go. Afterwards, the cat, while not completely flea-free would be much improved. There were powders you could buy and put on the cat too, but I cannot remember them caring much for this.

Then there was the flea collar and I don't remember them working very well.

I'm back to where I was again now and that is the flea comb. Luckily, the two large tomcats I have left love to be combed, in fact one of them sits next to where the combs are located when he wants you to comb him. I trained both of them to love the comb. They used to watch me comb the one that has died as I'd say, "Comb, comb, comb" as I combed her (she loved it too). They were young very observant kittens at the time hence the reason they like it.

On the other hand I had a cat that hated being combed and it was head only. He was a rescue that had a streak of intolerance in him I'd say.

What else can we do? Some recommend diatomaceous earth. I've heard of good and bad with this stuff and I certainly would never put it on a cat.

We need options but seemingly have few as the poisoning continues.

I'm keeping my two indoors and will continue to look for fleas. If I find any, I'll do what I can to be rid of them w/the comb and hope for the best.

I have used Advantage for Large Cats on them and it seemed effective but in thinking back, I remember that it made them a bit lethargic too! Also, I read somewhere that one of the ingredients in Advantage is responsible for the bee colony collapses we are now witnessing!

This is a horrific situation we are seeing. To me, the drug companies are responsible because their studies are not and were not adequate! I think they need to be sued by some person out there than has the means to do just that.
Jules, firstly, I am SOOO very sorry for your sweet cat's death! How horrible that must have been for all of you. :-( She was really beautiful. Secondly, I've read several of your posts on here and wanted to comment on a few things before I forget them. (And I apologize - if I'm replying to something someone else wrote, not you - I get confused that way occasionally). :-)

1) It does not surprise me that the FDA has not approved this medication, as it is a toxin. And there would have to be large 3-tiered trials for the FDA to eventually approve a med. That takes a VAST amount of money. It's often easier for the companies to settle cases that go to court (and most of us don't have the kind of money or expertise at hand to take a large company to court).

2) Thank you for giving the pathophysiological information above! THAT is what I wanted to know. Why do some animals die? So those with the non-expressed gene are at risk. Yes, we'd have to test for the gene and I plan to look into this! (None of my cats have died, but I used it on 2 recently and it worked wonderfully).

3) In my opinion, we have here the same problem that some parents face with vaccinations. There are a very small number of children and/or adults who would have a very serious and possibly deadly reaction to vaccinations (e.g. Guillian-Barre Syndrome). HOWEVER, them majority will tolerate it fine, or with mildly reactive symptoms. So, overall, the vaccinations DECREASE death, as without them, MANY more people would die than with them. Herein lies the gist of the Public Health concern. You accept the bad outcomes of a few to better improve the lives of the many. I realize this is of absolutely NO comfort to anyone who has lost a child/parent/friend/or furfamily member. But, this is one reason I believe the product (and all other flea treatments - most of which have been blamed for at least a few deaths in the past. The ultimate question is, out of the 100 cats found in a square mile (including each of our own), would we rather have 20 die of flea related diseases, or would we rather have 2 die of adverse reactions to flea medications. (It's a difficult choice because NO ONE wants to lose a baby).

4) Diatomaceous Earth is a ground up fossil (ground into a very fine powder). It kills by "cutting" the fleas (and other insects and parasites) and by dehydrating them (or so I've read). If you do use it, you want EDIBLE quality ONLY (not pool grade). And most of all, you want to apply it VERY carefully, as the fine powder that floats up from it can cause lung damage if breathed in (by anyone - animal or human). Diatomaceous Earth can be applied topically and it can also be eaten. I know some PEOPLE who eat it to rid themselves of parasites. (Hey....just like poop...we all have them!). You can find it on amazon.

5) I think what would be more helpful than writing irate letters (not saying anyone has, but I would feel that way if MY cat died after flea txment with this), would be to write and acknowledge that with any treatment there will come some adverse effects and even some deaths. This is just the nature of medication and especially of toxins! But, then demand (in a professional yet stern way) that the company educate all users (not just in small print on a medication insert) about the genetic issue. Additionally, the company should take a MUCH nicer approach to handling calls of those who have used the product and lost a cat. Those answering the calls should be sympathetic and should be willing to educate people on the nature of any medication..."there will be untoward events in 1 out of (?? how many - 10,000??) cases. But we are so very sorry if this might have been one. All product inserts discuss this and why it might happen. Overall, even though it may be difficult to see this right now, the product saves more lives than not." But, honestly, when someone has lost a furbaby possibly to a medication or toxin, how "easy" would it be to hear and relate to anything a company rep would tell us? The company line might be, "deny, deny, deny" because it's more difficult to claim the med/toxin caused the death.

Regardless, I'm so sorry to those of you who have lost your babies! I appreciate the information. Right now I NEED Cheristin and was about to buy more of it. I've used Advantage II and Advantage Multi for 9 years and my 2-3 of my 8 kitties are now completely immune to it. One had lost all the hair from her waist down. It wasn't until I used Cheristin that she was able to rest without scratching herself to death. (I could comb her and get 15 or more fleas in a single swipe over and over again). Instead, I think I'll talk to my Vet about the genetic testing first.

Best wishes to all the kitty lovers out there.
Edna

(Nurse Practitioner, Retired Navy)

aunty ehm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jules, thank you for the enormous amount of work and information you've put into this and into passing on the information. This has been quite enlightening. I will be talking to my provider (Vet) about what other methods there are to treat the fleas. (The fleas were absolutely HORRID this year due to the warm winter).

-Mia-

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow! How awful and scary! My heart goes out to all who have suffered losses due to this horrible drug! :hearthrob::redheartpump:

Makes me really want to question EVERYTHING the vet says and recommends.

kuuipo14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have three female kitties, I have given them cheristan for three years it was recommended by my vet at the time. I noticed all of them would be real crazy after the application and one of them would be almost sickly for a few hours. A few weeks ago I gave them a dose each and one of my kitties is dying because of it. After I applied it a couple hours later she started throwing up white, foamy, mucous. Then she started having seizures, she went to the emergency vet they did a full bloodwork, x-rays everything was normal! They kept her 24 hours and she did fine, sent her home, four days later she started having seizures and foamy mucus again. Long story short, 3 vets later, lots of money spent (which is fine if it helps my furr baby), and the only common denominator is the Cheristan. We are probably going to have to put her down, because she is now losing control of her bladder. I am just devastated and crying becaus I feel helpless! Please don’t use Cheristan, my vet is recommending Revolution for my next applications to my other kitties. I would also be cautious of the diatomaceous earth too, do some legitimate research on it. Thank you!

catkin938

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love my baby Bigfoot he has got me through the toughest times in my life.
I have been using frontline for flea treatment for a few years once a month or every other month as needed but it seems to be less effective.
Bigfoot has been itching a lot and then pulling his fur out by the clumpfuls
I see piles of fur all over the house. I couldn't believe it
I brought him to the vet they diagnosed him with flea allergies gave him steroids
I gave it to him for a few days saw no difference so I stop giving it to him.
About a month ago Bigfoot had a swollen foot so I brought him to the vet where she gave him antibiotics and pain shot and gave me cheristin flea treatment I said I was unfamiliar with it she assured me it was the best to use.
Since he already had gotten a shot and antibiotics I asked if I could wait to apply cheristin since I already was very concerned about any reactions to the shot The vet still applied it anyways and said it was fine.
When I got Bigfoot home he was freaked out bad ran and stayed under the kitchen table eyes were dilated and he was super confused. I just lied under the table with him and cried
I felt this was my fault I trusted the vet and now he was not himself anymore
Bigfoot was gone mentally he didn't even know who I was
He did finally pull out of it took a few days was tough to see him go through so much
I don't know what caused the bad reaction the antibiotics are fine he has had them along with my other cat bob and it's a great antibiotic didn't see any side effects and worked great so
I thought can't possibly be the flea treatment but reading these posts it very well could have been a bad side effect from it. I am so thankful I didn't lose him,
I will not make that mistake again I am so glad I didn't buy and apply more on him
Me and him are super attached he is my support who I love soooo much
I just prayed he would come out of it and vowed to never have this happen again
A month has past now and the fleas are returning
I am in dispare trying to find a flea treatment with no harmful chemicals
the chemicals always hurt the body in someway I cannot bear the thought I am giving him something that could kill him and is hurting him
I am so greatful to read the info about diatomaceous earth
Thank you soooo much I just ordered it and waiting to apply
I am so so sorry about all the suffering Bigfoot has endured. I had been giving my two totally indoor senior girl kitties Frontline Plus (which I always purchased at Costco) for many years. I trusted it because it was from a French company and I know people in Europe are very careful about products. The Frontline worked well and my kitties didn't get sick. About a year or so ago, though, they both began to vomit and become lethargic after I applied Frontline and they each had some fleas, probably brought in on our shoes. I discovered that the company that had owned Frontline had sold it and there are lots of online comments about its new and serious negative effects on people's pets. My vet's office recomended Cheristin and sold me some. It was very high-priced for six. I just now thought I would check online comments about Cheristin and found TheCatSite and joined. I am SO glad I did although it is incredibly sad how much our pets are suffering from these flea medications. I will not be dosing my girls with Cheristin and will continue my hunt for a safe flea product. I wish for all of our animals to stay safe and healthy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sebastian1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for this! I’ve been searching the net for information on the 88% “other ingredients” that are just plain hidden! I got so frustrated! But seeing what was said here - I will find another way to get rid of the 2 or 3 fleas. Since my beloved Labrador died of cancer a couple of months ago - I do not trust anything anymore! My Labrador wasn’t even 6 years old - cat is 19 years & I’ll be damned if I lose him to chemicals aka “environmental circumstances”!

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like has been said/explained above. Just like an extremely small percentage of people are deathly allergic to certain things...so are cats. UNFORTUNATELY, this is usually discovered via trial and error. FORTUNATELY, allergic reactions to flea treatments are rare.
SO, you either go with the odds, or take less than effective somewhat safer measures.
However, all it takes is a little bit of Haemobartonellosis or Cytauxzoon felis.....and you'll be re-thinking those "somewhat" effective methods. And that's if you're the most fortunate person on the planet, or, you have other cats.

misskittycity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has severe itching on his nose & ears after applying Cheristin. I gave it to him once before, a year ago without any side effects. He’s had no other changes in his diet or lifestyle; he developed this itchiness soon after the flea med application. It has to be the cause. I will not use this on him again. I just want to share my experience.

Sebastian1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Like has been said/explained above. Just like an extremely small percentage of people are deathly allergic to certain things...so are cats. UNFORTUNATELY, this is usually discovered via trial and error. FORTUNATELY, allergic reactions to flea treatments are rare.
SO, you either go with the odds, or take less than effective somewhat safer measures.
However, all it takes is a little bit of Haemobartonellosis or Cytauxzoon felis.....and you'll be re-thinking those "somewhat" effective methods. And that's if you're the most fortunate person on the planet, or, you have other cats.
Umm, I sorry but what? Haemobartonellsis is something dogs can get - there’s no explanation for Cytauxzoon felis!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for this! I’ve been searching the net for information on the 88% “other ingredients” that are just plain hidden! I got so frustrated! But seeing what was said here - I will find another way to get rid of the 2 or 3 fleas. Since my beloved Labrador died of cancer a couple of months ago - I do not trust anything anymore! My Labrador wasn’t even 6 years old - cat is 19 years & I’ll be damned if I lose him to chemicals aka “environmental circumstances”!
S Sebastian1 , welcome to TCS!
I'm so sorry about the loss of your Labrador. :rbheart: It's awful when we lose them at the best of times, but six is so young.
Of course you want to do the best by your boy.. 19 is impressive. :)

basscat basscat I had to google both of those. Cytauxzoon felis only exists in certain areas, and not at all here in Australia.

Maybe just 'unpleasant diseases' would suffice? ;)

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
basscat basscat I had to google both of those. Cytauxzoon felis only exists in certain areas, and not at all here in Australia.

Maybe just 'unpleasant diseases' would suffice? ;)
Fleas only exist in certain areas, yet we talk about it here.
Cheristin isn't available everywhere either, yet we talk about it here.
Haemobartonellosis, Cytauxzoon felis, Fleas, Ticks, and Cheristin are all present here. Yet, naming deadly diseases that are a problem in many places is taboo?
I have used Cheristin on four cats, trying to prevent them from getting fleas and thus contracting an "unpleasant disease" that would kill them.
The Cheristin was given to me by the Vet because the topical they gave out the year before, did not seem to be working anymore. And an ineffective topical would just be..ineffective.
Of course, I went to the internet before applying this stuff. I read about the same thing that's here. A bashing of a particular brand of topical. AND, decided not to use it.
Pretty much, the worst possible scenario is exactly what happened.
Afterwards, I applied the Chersitin to the other cats and experienced no problems.
I now use something else, for different reasons. BUT, I now know 1st hand what can happen while "thinking about it instead of acting".
There are other treatments, other topicals, other plans of action. Just don't scratch your head, wonder, and delay.
ACT, DO something and make sure whatever you do is effective.