Do NOT, NOT, NOT buy a Samsung fridge!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Several years ago, we gutted our kitchen and started over. Many of you probably remember the pictures of everything. The last thing we did was buy a Samsung 4-door French door fridge with water and ice. I loved that thing. Until I didn’t.

The ice maker started jamming and freezing over. We would have to pull out the bucket and let everything thaw out. Use a hair dryer. Rick finally started using a small crowbar bc nothing else worked. I got used to see the ice bucket in the kitchen sink. When it completely stopped making ice, we turned the ice maker off and started buying ice.

We have a small fridge thermometer in the fridge. Last night, our fridge door thermometer registered 16 degrees. Well, that’s not good. Checked out thermometer inside the fridge and it was 34. Whew! Only to turn around later on and it read 45. Uh-oh. Way too warm. We took everything out and put what we could in the little fridge in the WeShed. Temp is back to normal this morning.

But that’s what happens. It always starts with the ice maker, then temps start to fluctuate. some people have had water leaks and ruined kitchen floors. Some have had ice damage. Always ruined food, to the point where Samsung actually reimbursed for food loss. And meds. When you have to store meds in a bad fridge, the meds will go bad, too. There have been a few cases where the fridge caught fire.

It is so bad that there is a FB page with tens of thousands of people with bad Samsung refrigerators trying to get help. And the thing is, even with all new parts in the fridge, within a month or so, it’s back to the same thing. Yes, it’s that bad. I am not exaggerating. And it’s not just the refrigerators. People have trouble with stoves, ovens, dishwashers, even washers.

It boggles my mind that the stores keep selling this brand. And CR still lists the brand as good. Wow. It’s not.

Rick was out yesterday hunting for a new fridge. In one of our local stores, bc of the pandemic problems, there is a ONE YEAR waiting period on fridges. He went to another local store and we’d have to order our fridge; so far they’re at around a two month period. They think that, if we ordered now, we might get it around the end of August. He is going back today to order the new fridge. Meanwhile Lowes doesn’t want to talk about Samsung’s problems or discuss a new fridge with us. They’re having trouble, too.

So why am I telling you this? To save you a really bad headache! Do yourself a favor….if you’re looking for appliances, stay away from Samsung. It’s simply not worth it. When a FB page has over 60,000 people needing help, there’s a problem. And I am speaking from personal experience, not from hearsay.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the only thing they do well are the cellphones. I had a Galaxy s4 that lasted until just a few months ago, it still worked but it wouldn't load an app which I needed for double security checks for work. Their Galaxy phones have gotten too high for me but they now have a cheaper line and I got one of them.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a brand new Samsung front load washing machine start to leak underneath after only two months. After getting the run around and getting tired of not understanding their representatives on the phone, my husband even told one he pushed one for English and the guy told him "I AM speaking English", we finally just got our money back after 6 months! thank goodness for that. It was VERY frustrating, not to mention running to the laundry mat.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I had a Samsung TV which pixelated very early in the game. I took it back to Best Buys and they just rolled their eyes and told me to pick another brand of TV and take it home. When I bought my new dishwasher, also at Best Buys, I went in with the dishwasher ratings page from Consumer Reports. A very nice girl helped me and when she realized that I was between Whirlpool and Kitchen Aide, she leaned over and said, "That's good. Some of the Samsung have caught on fire."

My husband has a Galaxy something or another and it has been okay so far.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
When I started doing my research for a new fridge last year I quickly learned not to buy a Samsung. We ended up with a Whirlpool and I don't love it to be honest. We went with it because they had it in the warehouse and if they had to order one it was going to be months and ours was on the fritz. I felt bad for the people in teh store that were building new homes and trying to order appliances and were being told it was going to be months to get them if they were lucky. :( I've heard furniture is also backordered these days. I could really use a new couch.

I hope you get it earlier than they said. :crossfingers:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think some companies should just stick with what they started with because that's all they do well with! Last year we bought a set of refrigerator/freezer remote thermometers because we put a freezer in the garage. DH likes to swich the locations around so we can keep an eye on things; including his migraine meds. The insurane decided we have to purchase it in 3 month supplies now (it's one injection a month) so we have to be careful where we store that. Replacing that wouldn't be fun.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think some companies should just stick with what they started with because that's all they do well with! Last year we bought a set of refrigerator/freezer remote thermometers because we put a freezer in the garage. DH likes to swich the locations around so we can keep an eye on things; including his migraine meds. The insurane decided we have to purchase it in 3 month supplies now (it's one injection a month) so we have to be careful where we store that. Replacing that wouldn't be fun.
I think you're exactly right about that. I've never bought a Samsung appliance but have bought many other products from them with no complaints. TV's, phones, etc. With appliances we usually go for Maytag. They have served us well.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Mines a single door bachelor fridge (low ceiling w bulkheads) with single door freezer on top. It's a brand called Danby designer. I've had it for 9 years and no issues at all with it other than a broken glass shelf, but that was my fault for dropping a full milk carton on the shelf.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that Samsung is only for cellphones. I also have a Samsung refrigerator and the freezer cannot freeze ice cream! During the Summer it cannot even cool bottled water. So, I had to buy a separate electric water dispenser and also another fridge (Panasonic) which is so far, so good.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not certain of the brand of my frig I live in a rental and my landlord bought it new about 12 years ago.
No ice maker, freezer is on top. Opens from the left. No frills. It was about $175,00 and it still runs.
Maybe you could find one like it until the new one comes in or a used from Facebook Marketplace?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Samsung stove. It was cheap and has worked fine for several years. But my standards on appliances are admittedly low. Of four kitchen appliances all bought at the same time -

My former stove, a Frigidaire had the control panel explode into flames, scorching my wall and melting the panel.

My refrigerator was a top of the line Electrolux. Three weeks after it was installed it began on its own to continuously dispense water. It took four repair visits and a whole new door to resolve the issue.

The dishwasher, GE Profile, had a recall, no idea what it was but they came out and fixed something.

The microwave - only worked for a couple of months before warranty repair was required.