Do not buy Temptations Cat Treats, They are slowly killing your cats & Whiskas is not doing anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Twinkies & Chips Ohoy chocolate chip cookies are bad for kids to eat. Yet it can be useful to bribe little kids with occasional treats.

I didn’t say feed the young mama tons of treats or only treats. I did say, maybe in just the beginning, give her extra treats to try to gain her trust. (Like a month or two.) I have known 20 year old cats that snacked on temptations as treats & sadly cats that died younger due to unexpected health issues (genetic.) If you hate temptations then you could look at some chicken meat from a whole pre cooked chicken you buy at the store or maybe some salmon or other healthier treats (if you cook for your cat avoid seasoning, they say avoid salt & garlic/onions are toxic to cats...... so avoid those.)

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Temptations are called "Dreamies" here in Germany. Two of my cats eat them, two don't. I use them to get the 14 year-old to hop on the scales. When I replace them with something else she learns very quickly that it's just not worth co-operating with me - so we're back to square one with "Temptations". When I use something really smelly - like chicken or fish - I have 3 cats on the scales and she waits under the table till things have calmed down. She has no interest in dried liver, dried tuna and anything else attracts all 3 so she hides waiting for me to give her a treat somewhere on her own. Too much of anything is not good so I do try to keep everything in moderation.

I once had a cat who would bite off my hand to get at a shrimp - perhaps a more harmless treat but hardly practical and rather expensive! :yummy:

Many years ago, my vet told me off quite severely when I was blaming myself for causing a rescued-cat's death from kidney disease. I had been feeding special dry-food for overweight, sensitive cats. At the time there was no veterinary wet-food on the market and dry food was just beginning to be considered not such a good idea. Today we have more choice but it's still not right for vets to blame anybody for feeding the wrong cat food. If something is inherently dangerous to cats it should be banned.

CynGuerrini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:yeah:

Unless a full necropsy is done, one can't assume that questionable treats are the exact cause of death. And one can't say that the treats are the exact cause for kidney disease or other health issue. Genetics, environmental factors, other aspects of the diet, etc can all play roles in certain health issues.

As a coroner, I am aware that even an autopsy will not show that food created the problem. I am depending on a professional (the vet) to inform me. She said that most of her kidney failure cats had regular Temptations treats. They eat Iams, and are indoor cats.

CynGuerrini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Regarding this very important issue, I would like to know about other variables in the lives of the poor cats who died - specifically, what water they drank and other similar situations. Myself, I have weak kidneys and municipal water can cause sudden, acute issues when the water treatment is adjusted for possible contaminants. Likewise, I can get issues when exposed to agricultural chemicals (defoliants, pesticides, fungicides, etc) through situations as simple as an overnight stay in a motel near fields with recent aerial spraying. I know that contaminated treats could be the culprit in some of the sad cases that I read in this thread but as a person with similar issues,.I know that it is important to consider other variables too. I hate to think of people believing that they killed/harmed their beloved cats with treats when there might have been other factors involved.
The cats are indoor cats. They get distilled water . They eat Iams. They also have Temptations treats daily. I trust the professional, a vet. She indicated that about 3/4ths of her kidney failure cats were given Temptations treats. Thanks for your post and thoughtful response. Your willingness to think it through is appreciated :)!

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The cats are indoor cats. They get distilled water . They eat Iams. They also have Temptations treats daily. I trust the professional, a vet. She indicated that about 3/4ths of her kidney failure cats were given Temptations treats. Thanks for your post and thoughtful response. Your willingness to think it through is appreciated :)!
The Iams dry food with three types of corn in their first five ingredients?

I think it's always a good idea to trust your vet, but it's also not always a bad idea to get a second opinion. I've been told many incorrect things by vets over the years. Temptations are one of the best selling (if not number one selling) cat treats in America. This therefore would mean that it is very likely that many of the cats your vet sees have had temptations, whether or not they have a disease. I get the feeling once a patient comes in for a kidney problem she likely asks about it, but probably not so much when they're just in for a routine check up. Correlation is not causation. What I will say, however, is that there are many studies that link I diet high in dry kibble and corn products to numerous feline diseases, including kidney disease. But again, as others have stated, there are an enormous amount of environmental and genetic factors that could play a role here. To specifically say it's one specific treat is a long shot.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My cat vet actually uses Temptation treats herself, especially to get her cats to take medication. I have used them on and off for as long as they have been on the market. My oldest cat lived to be 17 and the youngest died at 2 from cancer.

I am sorry for the loss of your cats. Your vet may be right; however, with the very high rate that she sees between Temptations specifically and cat deaths, it seems she should pursue this line of inquiry with the company.

TheGooBKittyRep

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone who owns a cat, if you are giving them Temptations Cat Treats PLEASE STOP IMMEDIATELY!
I do not need anymore proof than what I clean up now from our family member each time I exceed 4 bits of this treat to her (14 yo approx tabby female) in decent health even now with minor issues with hearing loss from mites that went untreated for too long maybe. 10-20 minutes after that 4 bit limit and an auto-ralf event occurs to completely empty her back out stomach pump style to sort of break my heart right then and there like clock work every time I figured it out in the last three times I saw myself. It was always a treat for her in moderation nearly 12+ years! Always wanted it even till I duh connected the simple fact each time she ate it maybe the last year or so. (I feel horrible knowing I had to do the simple thing of watch her closly enough that it took me too long to figure it out in my disgust. Other than that I will not give any animal that treat, and the last bulk container it came in just got washed 20 minutes ago and reused as something usefull.

Thankfully I don't see any long term issues so far within an hour after that each time I was aware of her vomitting all of it up and any connection to those treats and her death later on will not be something we will want to consider automatically unless something is actually discovered by someone far better than I can afford for her in the future.

Hopefully I will never become aware of something like that in the future from this treat as I tend to react badly towards my connection to her and hastily from my own ignorance and regrets of her care. I would carry that bit of guilt for a while my self a bit too long if it becomes a fact.

I'm sorry for the long winded comment about it but my vent here will defuse my negative thoughts that start me on the path or dark side in us all I believe. Thank you if you understand this one thing about me or my flaw(s), if not, please keep it to yourself as I have a finite ability to have control over my emotional-response-triggered full on rage or rant until I would surely never fully regain control over until far after I feel like "I shoulda quit so long ago" moment.

"..I am my brothers keeper"

crouton

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats can’t eat many of the ingredients in these, I have to repeatedly tell the vets not to give them or I am living in diarrhea land for days.

TinyDancer79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I happened to have found this site because I am having an issue w my cat. I tested out the cat food and avoided the treats. Our cat got better. Gave her the treats again, and she got sick again. Stopped giving her the treats for a while, and she was good. Tried one more time to see if it could be the treats, and she got the runs and was sick again. The treats were Temptations - tested the following flavors: chicken, beef and turkey All of them had the same issues. I’m done w them. I was looking for a recall, and this post came up in my search. So... there very well may be an issue w these treats I dont know. Just sharing our experience for others to know. I already complained to the company.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I happened to have found this site because I am having an issue w my cat. I tested out the cat food and avoided the treats. Our cat got better. Gave her the treats again, and she got sick again. Stopped giving her the treats for a while, and she was good. Tried one more time to see if it could be the treats, and she got the runs and was sick again. The treats were Temptations - tested the following flavors: chicken, beef and turkey All of them had the same issues. I’m done w them. I was looking for a recall, and this post came up in my search. So... there very well may be an issue w these treats I dont know. Just sharing our experience for others to know. I already complained to the company.
The company, and all of the people who buy and feed these very dangerous treats, are in total denial about their danger to cats. I've even had arguments from people here at TCS about them. They claim that anyone who experiences this must be feeding too many. WRONG. So now you know, at least, and you join me and other caring people in saying NO MORE. The company will not recall, issue warnings, or withdraw the products from the market, any more than Hartz will its dangerous products. The lives of our loved ones do not matter to them. All that matters is money.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi T TinyDancer79 ! Fortunately for Feeby (16+yo) and me, she has been eating Temptations Hairball Control treats for most of her life, with no issues. No treats are all that great, but at least for Feeby, these particular treats have not been an issue and do help with minimizing her hairballs. If quantity does make any difference in how the treats affect cats, I will say Feeby gets 7 pieces a day and no more.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I really think it depends on the animal. I use these treats as just that treats. They only get them once or twice a month or after I clip their Claws. I also give them to Indy after a good brushing session, she scrunches up with her tail tucked between her legs and if she doesn't do that she gets a couple treats as a reward.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really think it depends on the animal. I use these treats as just that treats. They only get them once or twice a month or after I clip their Claws. I also give them to Indy after a good brushing session, she scrunches up with her tail tucked between her legs and if she doesn't do that she gets a couple treats as a reward.
This is true. Every cat is different. Some cats will get sick from different types of treats/foods while others do perfectly fine with them. As an example, a few years ago Instinct dry food gave both of my cats terrible constipation, to the point of blood. I've have heard similar things from other people, however, I've also heard more cases from other people where their cats have had no problems.

I said something similar to this in a post above, but correlation is not causation. While I do think T TinyDancer79 you are probably right about the treats not agreeing with your cat (maybe an allergy, intolerance...really a multitude of possible reasons) these treats are not a problem with most cats. They are certainly not the "poison" this thread makes them out to be. Temptations is one of the number selling cat treats in America; if cats were dropping left and right from them it would be noticeable. I think the reason there are multiple threads on here about them is because nearly everyone who has a cat has used them at some point, at least here in the USA (I can't speak for other countries). They are sold at every grocery store and pet store where I live, and they are well known as "cat crack" because most cats love them so much. If nearly every cat owner in America fed their cats dry Instinct Limited I'm sure there would be numerous threads about it as well.

Here's my conclusion about these treats. Are they good for cats? No. Nothing full of corn and other carbs are good for cats. But, there is no ingredient in Temptations that is specifically different from other cheap cat food brands. Therefore, IMO Temptations treats are about as dangerous for most cats as dry food from Meow Mix, Friskees, RC, Hills....the list goes on endlessly. Again, as I mentioned above there are now studies linking dry food and foods high in carbs (more specifically corn and other grains) to many illnesses in cats. So in that sense, yes Temptations are dangerous, but so is just about every other dry cat food brand out there. Cats are not dropping left and right from either of these things, but perhaps an argument can be made for a shorter life span or other diseases late in life (again repeating myself from above) from the established dangers of corn, etc.

Nonetheless, T TinyDancer79 I'm glad you found the culprit for your cat's problems. Hopefully she will do better on a different treat; there are tons of great options out there! My boys really enjoy freeze dried chicken hearts!

Kitty lover22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey. I am a new cat owner. I'm really scared because I bought Temptations chicken flavor and my cat loves it. Will it kill her?! I'm really scared! I love my cat so much and I will die inside if she goes to the sky. Please. DO NOT TELL NE RUMORS. Tell me the truth if it's possible. I don't give her too much. I give maybe three a day or four. Not a bag full.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey. I am a new cat owner. I'm really scared because I bought Temptations chicken flavor and my cat loves it. Will it kill her?! I'm really scared! I love my cat so much and I will die inside if she goes to the sky. Please. DO NOT TELL NE RUMORS. Tell me the truth if it's possible. I don't give her too much. I give maybe three a day or four. Not a bag full.
Hi. Don't freak out! As I think I have already said in this thread, Feeby (16+yo) has been eating Temptations chicken flavored hairball control treats for nearly all her life. She gets 7 treats a day. Every cat is different, and most certainly some foods/treats can affect some cats more than others. If you would go through the thousands of warnings about most all cat foods/treats and consider them to be applicable to your cat, you wouldn't be feeding her anything.

Kitty lover22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I was really nervous reading all the things people say on this website. I am not trying to harm her. It's relieving knowing someone fed their cat these treats and nothing bad has happened. I took her to the vet and the vet said she seemed fine

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you. I was really nervous reading all the things people say on this website. I am not trying to harm her. It's relieving knowing someone fed their cat these treats and nothing bad has happened. I took her to the vet and the vet said she seemed fine
I think any treats in moderation will be fine - and I think your baby is fine too!

Status
Not open for further replies.