Do not buy Temptations Cat Treats, They are slowly killing your cats & Whiskas is not doing anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

FakeGourmet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats get Greenies or Temptations once per week (5 pieces). It's like cat crack, they all show up as soon as they hear the container. I use it to get them all together in an emergency such as tornado warnings. I don't doubt some of you have had problems, but just like with people food, you get bad batches. My cat with cancer gets extra now - he totally adores them and he isn't likely going to be with us more than about 6 months.

I don't disregard what some of you are saying, but just like with people food, I can't go around in fear that everything is going to make us sick. If they won't eat out of a bag of food, I return it in exchange for another. I am not going to doubt 5 cats that there is something off about a bag or can of food.

Bg221

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone who owns a cat, if you are giving them Temptations Cat Treats PLEASE STOP IMMEDIATELY! It is causing kidney and renal failure, Some cats are affected by it right away, some it takes years of eating them, none the less they have connected this treat to renal failure, Look it up in consumer affairs website and you will see all those that lost their pets or has their pets and a ton of vet debt!
Really wish i had found this earlier. I bought our cat these treats for the first time ever on Monday. By Wednesday she was being antisocial and acting odd. Yesterday her rear legs stopped working, her eyes sank in her head, she was crying a miserable meow every couple hours, then this morning my dad had her sitting with Him and she passed in his lap. All the symptoms she displayed were those of renal failure, which temptations are known to cause. I've never been a cat person until this cat. And i am left completely heart broken and kicking myself in the butt for buying treats that are meant to spoil an animal not kill them.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really wish i had found this earlier. I bought our cat these treats for the first time ever on Monday. By Wednesday she was being antisocial and acting odd. Yesterday her rear legs stopped working, her eyes sank in her head, she was crying a miserable meow every couple hours, then this morning my dad had her sitting with Him and she passed in his lap. All the symptoms she displayed were those of renal failure, which temptations are known to cause. I've never been a cat person until this cat. And i am left completely heart broken and kicking myself in the butt for buying treats that are meant to spoil an animal not kill them.
I am so very, very sorry for your loss, B Bg221 . No words or anything else can ever undo the senseless loss of a precious life, or take away the pain. But know that I and many more on here empathize. Your sweet cat is risen above this earthly existence and beyond all suffering, and I hope you also believe that you will be reunited in due time. She watches over you always. My heartfelt condolences for your loss.

lunaart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My heartfelt condolences on your recent loss B Bg221 . I'm not a professional and I could be wrong, but honestly those symptoms do not seem like renal failure to me. Many years ago, I had an 8-yr old Persian that suddenly came down with symptoms eerily close to what you are describing. My cat was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy that day and then died the next day despite treatment, most likely from saddle thrombus.

I highly suspect that those few treats had nothing to do with your kitty's sudden illness. So please don't blame yourself. :hugs:

kj80249

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone who owns a cat, if you are giving them Temptations Cat Treats PLEASE STOP IMMEDIATELY! It is causing kidney and renal failure, Some cats are affected by it right away, some it takes years of eating them, none the less they have connected this treat to renal failure, Look it up in consumer affairs website and you will see all those that lost their pets or has their pets and a ton of vet debt!
I have been feeding my cat Temptations treats for years, and not one of them has ever had renal issues. I find it hard to believe that the treats were the cause, as 4 treats per day would merely be a percentage compared to what mine have eaten. It would seem more plausible that water intake would be the reason, or possibly their main diet. These are my cats one and only favorite treat, and they won't eat anything else. Does your vet have some sort of scientific proof that Temptations were the cause?

I hope this isn't true. I've been giving my cat a big handful of Temptations treats when i wake up in the morning and before i go to sleep at night. For the last 2 years i think. And he is perfectly healthy. Other then that he eats only Meow mix. Nothing else in kibble. He eats boiled pieces of chicken sometimes and loves licking the cream off my fingers from a cream filled snack. Which he only gets a little bit of. But he looks forward to his big handful of Temptation snacks. He goes through a big 7 dollar container of them in a month. Now i'm worried. Is this Temptations treat rumor just a rumor? I really hope so. My cat seems normal.
Ha...I do the same for my petite girl, and she's extremely healthy. Say the word cookie or shake the bag, and she's at your feet.

Last edited by a moderator:

kmoulus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Speedy has eaten probably ten Temptations every day, maybe more, for a good ten years. She takes five medicines for HCM and CHF, and chows down those pills happily as long as they are inside a Temptation. The vet says the only reason she's still stable is because she takes meds so well. And if Temptations is what it takes, so be it.

She is almost 18 years old and has no serious kidney problems. Her values are a bit high but the vet says they are normal for an elderly cat on Lasix.

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm beginning to think my cat is a weirdo for not liking temptations :hyper: I only ever bought one bag and he scoffed at them. ended up throwing it away. but he adores greenies and those DINE/tikicat creamy treats that i'm trying so hard to stop giving aaaah:gaah: anyone else give those cream treats?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmm I give them pounce (chicken) treats & dairy temptations ..... however the day the little kids gave them treats they got 10 temptation treats that day. On adverse my kitten gets 4-5 temptation treats every other day.
When this bag of temptation runs out I will look for other dairy treats or give him half&half.

Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think someone mentioned something very profound the other day, albeit about humans. Someone asked why people are getting cancer so much these days. And the answer is - people are living longer. Well, pets are living longer these days too. CKD is a great example, as that is typically an older cat disease. When they get it as younger cats, it's usually polycystic kidney disease, which is genetic. That was the case with my first kidney cat most likely, as he was pretty young when he died
It’s broadly accepted that the rise in human cancer is directly linked to the increase in human lifespan. The older we get, the higher the risk for getting cancer. But other factors, such as rising obesity rates, also increase the risk of certain types of cancer. At the same time, the survival rates for some cancers are now higher/better with the new medical treatments and early diagnostic testing.

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Temptations aren't killing your cat. Theres much worse things cats can eat like meow mix etc. Get the temptations without the dyes in them too. These peoples cats probably had allergic reactions. My moms cat is 14 and hes gotten a handful about once or twice a day since a kitten and he has never had a single health problem. Finally I get her to take him in every year or two for a check up because she never did before because hes been so healthy. Same with my 10 year old he has had these since a kitten and hes been to the vet maybe 5 times in his life just for health exams. His only issue is bad teeth and hes getting a cleaning this month.

My Morton had awful diarrhea from greenies. Even 1 dental treat a day. 1 hair ball one would cause him to have diarrhea for at least 3 days and if you google greenies dangers those are legit complaints and theres thousands

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a new cat owner, so by no means am I an expert on cat nutrition. However...

I have made the decision not to give treats to my furry gal. I try to choose her everyday food (kibble) wisely. She's a good drinker, which apparently bucks the trend among cats. The only treat I plan on is home made chicken meat dishes.
I dont give treats either..Used to few yrs ago..Then I stopped...

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I occasionally give Hill's dental care food as treats, my cats beg for them and hopefully they serve a purpose. They're huge btw.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Never had issues with these treats. Been feeding them for a long time. I use different brands/flavors. In fact if you are training the cat to be somewhere you want it to be-use the treats to get them to follow your commands-it works! My Bee will run up and down the couch, down on the floor, up on her cat tree chasing my hand with the treat with temptations..she won't do this with other treats-but it sure is funny to see a fuzzy Orange cat streak across the room chasing my treat in my hand..:lol2:

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't understand - why spend money on "cat treats" when the healthiest and cheapest treat is to just give your cat a small piece of fresh meat?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't understand - why spend money on "cat treats" when the healthiest and cheapest treat is to just give your cat a small piece of fresh meat?
That's what I do most often. They love it. I do use crushed Pure Bites as a topper/treat sometimes. Those are just freeze dried meat that you can crumble or crush. They love the chicken and the duck liver ones.

CynGuerrini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had two cats (ages 7 & 8) that received between 8 and 10 Temptations treats per day. They both died within 2 months of each other of kidney failure. I never told the vet about the treats. Today, my 13 year old cat was diagnosed with kidney failure. She always gets 8-10 Temptations treats per day. This time, I made the comment about the Temptations treats, and the Vet said that's the cause of the kidney failure. Please, do not give your cats these treats!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regarding this very important issue, I would like to know about other variables in the lives of the poor cats who died - specifically, what water they drank and other similar situations. Myself, I have weak kidneys and municipal water can cause sudden, acute issues when the water treatment is adjusted for possible contaminants. Likewise, I can get issues when exposed to agricultural chemicals (defoliants, pesticides, fungicides, etc) through situations as simple as an overnight stay in a motel near fields with recent aerial spraying. I know that contaminated treats could be the culprit in some of the sad cases that I read in this thread but as a person with similar issues,.I know that it is important to consider other variables too. I hate to think of people believing that they killed/harmed their beloved cats with treats when there might have been other factors involved.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate to think of people believing that they killed/harmed their beloved cats with treats when there might have been other factors involved.
:yeah:

Unless a full necropsy is done, one can't assume that questionable treats are the exact cause of death. And one can't say that the treats are the exact cause for kidney disease or other health issue. Genetics, environmental factors, other aspects of the diet, etc can all play roles in certain health issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.