Do my cats really need a cat tree?

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should I throw this cat furniture out - or try to encourage my cats to use it?
I'll keep the single scratching post and the drum (now being used as a table for a basket of walnuts). My 4 cats only climb the trees when I encourage them to do so. They never use the boxes - sometimes they peer inside. I leave catnip toys on the platforms but they are never removed. The trees are stable - in fact we'd added a rod to keep the two blocks fixed together.

IMG_20210129_131252_resized_20210129_091952118.jpg

The larger cat tree is at least 8 years old. I've replaced the scratching posts at the lowest level many times but the rest is original. The smaller tree is more than 3 years old but even the little ball is still attached. I have an identical tree in the basement and can easily replace the damaged parts.

Here is a picture showing how my cats prefer to hang out. (One has just walked out of the picture). The furry thing in the hammock is a toy!

IMG_20210129_125443_resized_20210129_091951064.jpg

My cats are between 8 and 14 years old. None of them have any problem jumping onto tables, sofas, beds and window ledges. When I was fostering orphaned kittens in this room, the tree was always in use. And my older cat who died over 2 years ago would climb the tree simply to get away from the other cats.

Now it's superfluous and a relic. I've got some spare supports in the basement so I could repair the legs again. But, perhaps I should just throw it out before I start redecorating the room. When it's gone I'll have more space to move things around........ and hopefully I'll never feel the need to replace it.

Train the cats to use it, or throw it out - that's the question!

BNE

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If they're that old, and they don't use it and you won't be fostering any more, then you're probably best to (not throw it out) but maybe donate it to a local animal shelter if they accept them. I know my local shelter does.

Hope that answers your question! 🙂

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is almost funny...those beautiful cat trees and the cats sitting on the carpeting. My experience has been varied with cat trees ranging from the cats who practically lived in them to the ones who never once used one. Whatever you think is best is probably the answer....maybe keep one temporarily?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they're that old, and they don't use it and you won't be fostering any more, then you're probably best to (not throw it out) but maybe donate it to a local animal shelter if they accept them. I know my local shelter does.

Hope that answers your question! 🙂
Thank you for your answer. Of course you are right! I do work for a cat protection organisation which has so many almost new cat trees and scratching posts but limited storage space. The local cat and dog home prefers to buy its own stuff. Because of lockdown, the people collecting equipment for poorer cat shelters, located in Eastern and Southern Europe, are unable to transport the goods. But I have searched ebay for anyone in need of a cat tree - not much there either at the moment. Incidentally, I also have cat beds, baskets and cat toys that are never used.
I will no doubt foster cats again but hopefully not in this living room. I no longer have the inclination to subject my 4 cats to fleas, ringworm, giardia and whatever else a stray kitten, who couldn't possibly be kept on her own in the basement, brings into the house. 3 of "my" cats are fosters who have been with me just too long to humanely rehome. But when I'm asked "Can you please take this cat, just until...There's no-one else who'll....?" I can't say "no", can I!

jack_and_gin19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have listed cat items I no longer needed on facebook marketplace and all of them were picked up quickly, so that may be another option if the shelters aren't in need right now.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You know cats, I'm not sure you can train them to use it - you can try spraying or rubbing something on the cat trees to entice them but in the end they will most likely do what they want. BTW, it looks like cat heaven in your living room. Can my cat visit? :biggrin: