do male cats need E-collar after neuter?

skyeandtigger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I dropped my 2 cats off this morning to be spayed and I marked on the registration papers for both to have E-collars. The woman that took my papers said my female will need one but the male will not. Is that true? I figured he would because even with a tiny incision as it heals it's gotta itch... right? Or am I just over thinking this?

siamesedreams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My guy didn't need an e-collar for his neuter at all, but he is currently wearing one for recent bladder surgery. I wouldn't worry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skyeandtigger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your fast reply. I think i am just being a paranoid mommy lol!!! I was proud of myself for not crying when i left them so i am making up for it by over thinking it!!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Normally they won't need one but it will also depend on how much he licks. We were told to just keep an eye on Bijou and as long as he didn't overlick, he'd be fine, i.e., he could lick a little but not excessively.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on the cat. Levi & Jordan were just fine after their neuters, but Isaac had to wear one. The vet said as soon as he woke up he started licking, so it was the only way to stop him from opening it back up. Just watch him if he starts licking non-stop you may want to talk to the vet.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
None of my cats have ever had the collar, male or female, and they were all fine. Since you're going to be watching him closely anyway, keep an eye out for excessive licking. Just don't be looking for problems that don't exist.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet always told me that a cat licking would assist in healing.

skyeandtigger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you everyone for all of your replies and advice!! I will def be watching over them both as carefully as possible with out trying to over step my boundries
I am a stay at home mom so i will be here with them full time day and night I also have the extra large dog crate that I have been using for seperation the last 2 weeks I will use it only if neccessary!!! I am getting one E collar today so if i have to i can switch it off depending on how my female behaves if not I can go buy one at the pet store. The vet wants $16 for the plastic cone kind which the pet store sells for like $8. I will hold off and save myself some money either way.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many cats wont even touch the area at all, only some will. As long as she is not pulling out the stitches, she should be perfectly fine without a collar.

Im sorry if I have missed something but what are you using the dog crate for?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have seen serious infections caused by an OCD cat bothering the incision, and I've seen cats hit the floor on the bounce out of the carrier and never show any signs of distress at all. You know your cats better than anyone else, and you can tell if there is a problem.

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by skyeandtigger

Thank you for your fast reply. I think i am just being a paranoid mommy lol!!! I was proud of myself for not crying when i left them so i am making up for it by over thinking it!!!
Haha! what a good Mommy you are. Im sure most of us can relate about being paroniod Mommys or Daddys.

As everyone else stating, it really all depends on the cat. My Bonnie (female) and CaponeyBaloney (Male) both were fine, and we never had a problem with each. My Sisters cat however, both male and female both had problems and had to wear a cone.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I have seen serious infections caused by an OCD cat bothering the incision, and I've seen cats hit the floor on the bounce out of the carrier and never show any signs of distress at all. You know your cats better than anyone else, and you can tell if there is a problem.
Yes but you are at the shelter, so you would be in a position to see more of that, you are right that she just needs to watch her babies.

skyeandtigger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got home with them and my female is terrified!!!!
she has retreated to under my bed!!! She darted as soon as the door to the carrier opened!!!! I can't get her out she doesn't like me at the moment!!! (can't blame her
)

they did good though!!! For the time being i placed her collar on my male We have been home for about a 1/2 hour and he spent a majority of it licking himself. He is not happy with the collar!!! Its been on about 3 minutes and will prol last another 2 before i give in!!!

other than that all went well they were awake and alert when i came to get them. They had been given a dose of med I opted to go with the homeopathic meds if it doesn't work or they seem to be in pain i will call back to get the other. so far so good!! I will update again once they settle!