Do kittens poop normally smell worse than adults?

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i have 2 kittens around 6 months old. their poop really stinks. i put arm and hammer deodorizer when i scoop it out (which is everyday) and have an automatic air freshener near the litter boxes. my last cat that i also had when she was a kitten, also had the same problem, but i believe it was more pee smell. anyways, is it typical for kittens litter boxes to smell worse than adult cats?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sure can. So long as amount, texture, color and frequency are normal, it's just Kitten Poop Stink. However, if the stools become very soft or runny, and happen frequently, or become very pale or very dark, you could be dealing with any one of a number of issues...worms, coccidia, giardia...all can cause very smelly and otherwise abnormal poops in kittens, and all can be remedied with the appropriate medication.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's related to what they eat and yes, kitten poop smells worse than adult poop. You can try changing to a higher quality food or move them to feeding raw.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While raw has its attractions, there are tricks to that trade. For instance, you must add taurine to home-made cooked or raw foods. Do due diligence in researching how to raw-feed or make your own cat food for optimum health. Not saying not to do this, but find out how to do it safely and properly.

This article can at least get you started, should you choose to go that route:
Homemade & Raw Food For Cats – A Collection of Guides – TheCatSite Articles

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It can also be related to the food they’re eating. My cat loved fancy food naturals pate as a kitten and his poop looked normal and scooped fine but holy crap it smelled AWFUL. Had to take that one out of the food rotation, as soon as I did the smell went away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
right now they're eating iams kitten dry and authority kitten wet. they have an appt on friday. i'll bring this up with the vet. im sure nothing is wrong as i noticed this right away when i bought them home. they were eating fancy feast and friskies at the shelter