Do kittens outgrow sleeping/hiding under couches?

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just got 2 kittens. 1 is pretty normal but the other is rather skittish but still comes out to eat and play. This is the first week we've had them and they are about 2-2.5 months old or so.

They've found a place to sleep the last week under the couch we have, although there are some metal pieces around there (nothing harmful but... metal) and in order to hide/sleep they have to slither their body a good amount to get in.

I'm VERY worried in a month or so when they get bigger that they will either get stuck slithering under the couch or just simply be too big to fit.

Do they eventually outgrow this phase? I'm worried once they can't fit in there anymore either they get stuck and get very scared OR they get traumatized from not having their "safe spot" available to them anymore because of their size and we are almost starting from scratch. If anyone has advice please let me know. thank you.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It takes some kittens and cats a while to settle into a new home, so many strange people, smells and sights to get used it. Give them time to get used to their surroundings but for now they feel safe under the couch. Maybe you could block off the way they crawl under. Try a cardboard box on its side with a blanket or bed inside, a little catnip maybe and a towel or something similar to cover most of the opening. They will settle in time but right now need a place that they consider safe.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They won't get stuck in there, cats are natural contortionists. As it starts getting less comfortable, they will tolerate it for a bit and eventually find somewhere new. Some cats do like to sleep under things even as they get older and/or more confident, and some grow out of it. Its not much to worry about unless there is a mechanism in the couch and you might forget and recline.