Do kittens not have an undercoat? Will they grow one as they age?

kpark27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm a new cat owner. My kitten is a domestic shorthair at about 4 to 5 months old. I worry because I think he is single coated.

He recently seems to have started to shed a little bit. I think he lost most of his newborne kitten fur already; they are rather thick and coarse and lay flat on his back.

As far as I know, most cats except for certain breeds, are double coated.

However, no matter how hard I bury my hands into his fur and look closely I only see one layer of fur, about the same length as his outer fur. And it's winter (at least where I live!).

As of now, I'm quite positive he's single coated like my yorkshire terrier, and I am a bit concerned. He's very well fed btw!

Is this because he's a kitten? Will he grow a double coat as he grows? If so, when?

Please share your experience! Thanks in advance :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's very well fed btw!
I'm so glad to hear this! What does he get?

I can't answer about the coat for certain but I believe it depends, to an extent, on the breed. For example Siamese don't have undercoats.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know either but if it makes you feel more at ease, I rescued a short fur domestic cat that was outside for 2 years til I rescued her. I am in Houston but it does get cold. I was swimming in October! She survived thru all the storms. Now she is afraid of the outdoors!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats are single coated. While it's known to happen within specific breeds, reality is most cats don't fit in a specific breed and single coat can happen in any cat family without being a specific breed. Doesn't mean anything is wrong with the cat and I personally appreciate the reduced shedding.