Do kittens have growth spurts and sleep a lot, like humans?

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Little guy has slept a lot today. He's up playing right now, but seems to be less than chipper. I feel like this has happened before, but you know how new moms worry. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look for changes in eating, drinking, and litter box habits before you get too concerned.  It's definitely normal to have some fluctuation in energy levels, but don't be afraid to call your vet if you it's something more.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with above.   The answer depends in much of how old the kitten is.   In bigger kittens that is surely normal, in infants really not so.  Pauses are short, a day at most.   An infant kitten sleeping much and not gaining is a big red alert flag!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's 5 months. I'm thinking he might be having pain from a loose tooth right now. He was chewing intently on some string earlier and when I pulled it away so he wouldn't swallow it, it was a bit red from some blood. Any ideas on how to alleviate teething pain?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

He's 5 months. I'm thinking he might be having pain from a loose tooth right now. He was chewing intently on some string earlier and when I pulled it away so he wouldn't swallow it, it was a bit red from some blood. Any ideas on how to alleviate teething pain?
Something of solid but soft gum to chew on?  A comb made of gum is excellent. Your bathtube bird may also work.   :)

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can dampen a wash cloth and freeze it.  The kitten can chew on it and the cold will help with teething pain.  When it is defrosted, wash ard repeat.  There are also teething toys and toys made with sisal also seem to be a hit with teething kittens.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll try the washcloth. He's actually expressed interest in wash rags before, playing with dirty ones left near the hamper lol. He's a silly kitten.