Do I need a sling shooter??

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OKay .. My cat LILO (who just had her 1st and last litter of kittens) loves to just sit outside and let the wind blow on her face. She loves to just sit there. She does not leave the yard. She might get up every now and then and change positions or even to a new spot but she just loves to sit there and watch everything. I am always with her (for those of you who might preach to me about her getting pregnant again... I already know) the only time she is outside is when I am watching her. She never leaves my sight.

Now to my problem.... lately the blue jay birds swoop down and peck her. I dont understand why. She doesnt do anything to them. I maybe thought she was laying too close to a nest or something.So I dont let her go to that same spot and they still do it!! It aggrevates me so much!!! It only seems to be the blue jays. I dont know what to do. I dont want to take that time away from her just b/c the blue jays are attacking her. What should I do????

kimba67

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Blue Jays are very aggressive birds, especially during nesting season. Unless you know where to find a nice Hawk or Owl, you're best bet is just to wait them out until nesting season is over.

Chances are, the jays stole their nest from a robin anyway, so they'll be out of there relatively soon. Jays like bright, shiny objects, so if LILO is wearing a collar, it may be aggravating the problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kimba67

Blue Jays are very aggressive birds, especially during nesting season. Unless you know where to find a nice Hawk or Owl, you're best bet is just to wait them out until nesting season is over.

Chances are, the jays stole their nest from a robin anyway, so they'll be out of there relatively soon. Jays like bright, shiny objects, so if LILO is wearing a collar, it may be aggravating the problem.
Ohhh... well she does have a mighty shiny collar!!

I can take it off while she is out there and see if that helps.
Thanks..

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a tip, watching her when she isn't in heat is sweet. Watching her outside right before she goes into heat is impossible. You will lose her if you continue to let her outside. Keep her indoors away from the blue jays and near her kittens. Or invest in a kittywalk or one of these instead of attacking blue jays because her presence is threatening their nest.

http://www.kittyview.com/kittyview.html

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Just a tip, watching her when she isn't in heat is sweet. Watching her outside right before she goes into heat is impossible. You will lose her if you continue to let her outside. Keep her indoors away from the blue jays and near her kittens. Or invest in a kittywalk or one of these instead of attacking blue jays because her presence is threatening their nest.

Wow.. that is neat!!
Thanks. I am going to get this!!!!

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

I also wanted to add that cats as well as birds are normally outside animals.

Cats are like kids. Alot of people put me down for allowing my cats outside. But I want to put it this way.... having a cat as only an indoor cat is fine. But to me it is like locking your kids up in your house for their whole lives b/c you are scared they will get sick, or picked on, or something else. Cats have always been outside animals. My cats enjoy the outside. And I am not going to take that away from them. I am not locking them up. Lilo will be fixed in 3 more weeks.
We have a fenced in yard that she lays in.And she LOVES it!! The youngest Garfeild, runs around the back yard but does not get out of the fence and he has been fixed. My cats are healthy and get regular visits to the vet. Most of all they are HAPPY cats.

When I bring my kittys outside ... it is our play time. And no matter what anyone tells me... I am a very good cat owner. I
my cats.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not disputing that you are a good cat owner. I am sure that you love your cat very much. But you will be labeled a careless cat owner if Lilo becomes pregnant again or worse yet runs off chasing tomcat scent in the wind. I am telling you from long experience, it can and does happen. Keep her inside until she is spayed, then, by all means let her outside. I agree with you, cats are meant to be outside, to be able to climb trees, catch bugs etc... But with more people moving into areas, danger waits outside for any cat. With birds natural environments being destroyed and homes being built where birds used to nest, birds are forced to move to other areas bring with them things like songbird fever and other diseases that can harm even kill your cat. Lilo catches a scent that excites her, and no matter how close you are to her, she will be gone like a shot to find a male. That is instinct and you can't stop it from happening, You can prevent it by keeping her indoors. After all after three weeks, she will be able to enjoy the outdoors right along with you and you may not lose her after all-

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is absolutely no way I could let my cats outside. If cat's are like kids, would anybody let little kids run around un-attended? IMO, it's way to dangerous for cats to be outside. But a cat enclosure is a good idea. If I had money and a backyard, I might have done that. But then my cats don't want to go out. They are Persians, so they are not supposed to be outside anyway.

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually if there's a cat around and jays around they will mob the cat. Such is the nature of jays (and mockingbirds.) There does not have to be a nest ANYwhere in the vicinity. They will also constantly pester hawks (and I assume owls) and crows if there are any around, too. It's as if they're hardwired to think, "Well, this character MIGHT at some point bother my chicks or steal my eggs so I'd better take care of the problem right now!" I've also seen them swooping at a target I can't see in the grass which I can only assume is a snake or something of that sort (I wasn't about to get closer to find out
!)

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by elizwithcat

There is absolutely no way I could let my cats outside. If cat's are like kids, would anybody let little kids run around un-attended? IMO, it's way to dangerous for cats to be outside. But a cat enclosure is a good idea. If I had money and a backyard, I might have done that. But then my cats don't want to go out. They are Persians, so they are not supposed to be outside anyway.
I dont let my kids or my cats run around unattended. I treat my cats just as my kids. I watch them while outside (in our fenced in back yard).And when we are all finished exploring all the bugs and the that weird green stuff (grass) that Garfield cant seem to pull out...
then we go inside. My cats are happy to go outside to play and also are happy to come inside when I hold the door open. I have yet to have them hate me (my girls or my cats) for "making" them go outside to play.

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RoseHawke

Actually if there's a cat around and jays around they will mob the cat. Such is the nature of jays (and mockingbirds.) There does not have to be a nest ANYwhere in the vicinity. They will also constantly pester hawks (and I assume owls) and crows if there are any around, too. It's as if they're hardwired to think, "Well, this character MIGHT at some point bother my chicks or steal my eggs so I'd better take care of the problem right now!" I've also seen them swooping at a target I can't see in the grass which I can only assume is a snake or something of that sort (I wasn't about to get closer to find out
!)
Thank you for your helpful info.
This morning we all went out (it is such a beautiful day) and I could hear the birds screaming as they usually do before they attack her but they never did this morning. I sat right next to LILO in the grass just to see if that would help. And it seems that it did. I guess they wont bother her as long as I am there next to her.

So I took that time to sit next to her and we counted the ants together

Actually she pawed the ants to death as soon as I counted them.

We found 6 ants.

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and a little off the subject but 5 of LILOs babies already have their eyes open!!
She has been such a wonderful momma cat.

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Big-Cat-Fan

But I want to put it this way.... having a cat as only an indoor cat is fine. But to me it is like locking your kids up in your house for their whole lives b/c you are scared they will get sick, or picked on, or something else. Cats have always been outside animals. My cats enjoy the outside. And I am not going to take that away from them. I am not locking them up
I think that you should do whatever you feel is right for your cats. I like the idea that you are supervising her outside but in my opinion, I wouldn't take the chance of letting her outside for such a brief period of 3 weeks that I am sure she would be able to handle being inside...It would be worth it to me for her to not become pregnant again..
You are no comparison to a cat's natural urge/instinct if she wants to mate with a male. She will not listen to you or stay by your side if the urge to mate comes upon her if there is a willing male in the vicinity.

And, I do have an indoor cat and I don't think its "locking (him) up for (his) entire life".. Its not jail. I am preventing an early death. I live in a very busy chaotic downtown division of an urban centre. He would be hassled by kids, faced with cars whizzing by, dogs running amok, not to mention the colonies of ferals that he would not ever be able to compete with..

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy

I think that you should do whatever you feel is right for your cats. I like the idea that you are supervising her outside but in my opinion, I wouldn't take the chance of letting her outside for such a brief period of 3 weeks that I am sure she would be able to handle being inside...It would be worth it to me for her to not become pregnant again..
You are no comparison to a cat's natural urge/instinct if she wants to mate with a male. She will not listen to you or stay by your side if the urge to mate comes upon her if there is a willing male in the vicinity.

And, I do have an indoor cat and I don't think its "locking (him) up for (his) entire life".. Its not jail. I am preventing an early death. I live in a very busy chaotic downtown division of an urban centre. He would be hassled by kids, faced with cars whizzing by, dogs running amok, not to mention the colonies of ferals that he would not ever be able to compete with..
I guess I have never thought of it that way. I have never lived in a big town or a busy street. That is something I have never really had to worry about. I have just had my back yard fenced in.

I guess everyones situation is very unique!!

I am sorry if I made it sound bad about "locking the cat up". I just get so frustrated that people are so quick to judge me or try to tell me how to care for my cat when they do not know me or my situation.

I am a very good cat owner as well as a very good mother. And it hurts when someone tells me that the way I am raising my cats and/or my kids is the wrong way.
Thank you for your nice and sincere way of trying to help me.

bigorangemenace

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:p I take both mine out on leashes. Elliot walks very good, with even the slightest tug of his leash in any direction he will be off (AND in that same direction ( I know a miracle ain't it?)) aerowyn however, does not walk as well on the leash, but she is more dependable on it ( elliot will sometiems back out of it and get off, but she always stays on the leash) Today I was digging ahole to put a post in the ground that I could put their leashes on, and I didnt feel like holding their leashes (they have a 25 foot retractable one each) so I pulled the leash out all the way and set it so it locked, an djust let them drag it around. They like being by me anyways. Heck I can go inside and when I get back they will be sitting in the same spot looking for me :p But not all cats are this way! Many of them like to run off so i wouldnt reccommend it unless you have calmer more obedient cats
I really wish I had a fence though because elliot likes it so much more when He has the freedom to gallop around without having to worry about the stinky leash and he wouldnt have to wear a harness :p but oh well. I took my lizards outside too (Not the same time as the cats lol!) :p they like it outside too but they dont need leashes because they are only 5 and 9 inches long :p

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BigOrangeMenace

:p I take both mine out on leashes. Elliot walks very good, with even the slightest tug of his leash in any direction he will be off (AND in that same direction ( I know a miracle ain't it?)) aerowyn however, does not walk as well on the leash, but she is more dependable on it ( elliot will sometiems back out of it and get off, but she always stays on the leash) Today I was digging ahole to put a post in the ground that I could put their leashes on, and I didnt feel like holding their leashes (they have a 25 foot retractable one each) so I pulled the leash out all the way and set it so it locked, an djust let them drag it around. They like being by me anyways. Heck I can go inside and when I get back they will be sitting in the same spot looking for me :p But not all cats are this way! Many of them like to run off so i wouldnt reccommend it unless you have calmer more obedient cats
I really wish I had a fence though because elliot likes it so much more when He has the freedom to gallop around without having to worry about the stinky leash and he wouldnt have to wear a harness :p but oh well. I took my lizards outside too (Not the same time as the cats lol!) :p they like it outside too but they dont need leashes because they are only 5 and 9 inches long :p
See!! The outdoors is something that I enjoy so much. Something my girls and my husband enjoy also. There are so many wonderful things to see outside. Why keep it away from our furbabies?? I think as long as I am responsible about taking them out and letting them enjoy whats out there then whats wrong?? Each trip outside is like a learning expierience for them. And oh how they
it!!! I guess it is kinda like a treat for them!!