Do I Have A Kitten That’s Part Sokoke?

AnnaMaeFlowers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I just adopted a stray kitten approx. 9 weeks old that I got through the humane shelter. He has black tuft ears, long hind legs and his hair is a bit more wirey that the cats I know (still soft though). The humane shelter neuters as soon as they are old enough so I’m not inquiring to rarity more to get an idea of possible temperament. I have a senior cat who loves baby animals but she is much older. Tabby cats I know are more friendly in general.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww, 9 weeks old and the world is his oyster LOL

oh my is he vocal
Just in case, be sure and feed him as much as he can consume - there's so much growth going on that he needs all the nutrients he can stuff into himself, for at least a year if not more depending on if he's got some big breed dna in him :).

Be sure and don't let him start biting hands or fingers and when he starts teething, try a wet washcloth (rinsed really well if you use scented dryer sheets) that's been partially frozen to give to him to chew on.

He's young enough that there's really no way to know what his personality might turn out to be, but I'm really glad he has you, and I hope that you have a lot of fun laughter and joy together :heartshape:

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On feeding kittens, my rule of thumb is if there's no food left over, you're not feeding your kitten enough. They are going through a hyper growth phase plus they are extremely active while young.

Plus, I want to second
the recommendation, don't let him play with your hands. A 1 lb kitten can be fun, but a 12 lb adult will leave you bleeding. When he goes for your hands, and he will, put them out of reach for a couple of minutes and ignore him. Plus hiss at him once or twice. That's what a mom cat does.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I would describe him as a brown classic tabby Domestic Shorthair. Tabby is ancoat marking, not a breed in itself. Lots of different breeds of cat can have tabby markings. Sokoke cats are extremely rare.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The likelihood of finding a purebred cat wandering as a stray or at a shelter is almost non-existent. The vast majority of cats not from a breeder are mixes. Even ones that look like Siamese are typically just color pointed mix breeds.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having Siamese in the background can account for the hair feeling different and the vocalization. They often have a special 'odor' about them too, they just smell different then a regular cat. It can also account for a leaner build and longer legs. Hre is absolutely adorable, I am sure you (and your older cat) will have your hands full! Don't be surprised if your older cat takes it upon herself to discipline him by pinning him down or correcting his manners when he gets too rough, he needs it and that is what older females do!