Do I bring my cat with me when I move out?

hadleyandcaptain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a domestic shorthair named captain he looks like this:
IMG_8772.jpeg
IMG_8770.jpeg

He is 9 months old and was adopted to be my ESA (emotional support animal). I am a senior in high school so I'm away for about 6 hours a day but Captain spends all of his time when I'm home in my room. He constantly meows outside my door and he is absolutely attached to me. The problem I am running into right now is that- I am going off to college soon. I haven't decided how I am going to go about housing yet but I was wondering if I get an apartment, do I bring him with me? Obviously, I want to but he is also bonded to our family's 7-month-old puppy who he plays with all day long, and our other cat who is 8. He loves my mom and brother as well. I just can't imagine living without him, and I can't imagine him not becoming depressed if I walk out of the front door and don't come back at the end of the day.
What should I do?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it would be best for you and him to leave him at home at least for your first semester while you settle in. There are so many stressors and distractions to deal with as you start a new phase of your life even without having to care for and worry about your cat’s well being. Plus he has companion animals that he will surely miss.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a domestic shorthair named captain he looks like this:
View attachment 408218View attachment 408219
He is 9 months old and was adopted to be my ESA (emotional support animal). I am a senior in high school so I'm away for about 6 hours a day but Captain spends all of his time when I'm home in my room. He constantly meows outside my door and he is absolutely attached to me. The problem I am running into right now is that- I am going off to college soon. I haven't decided how I am going to go about housing yet but I was wondering if I get an apartment, do I bring him with me? Obviously, I want to but he is also bonded to our family's 7-month-old puppy who he plays with all day long, and our other cat who is 8. He loves my mom and brother as well. I just can't imagine living without him, and I can't imagine him not becoming depressed if I walk out of the front door and don't come back at the end of the day.
What should I do?
i would leave him back home with the family safe and secure with people he knows etc, along with having the time to give him attention and play time college isnt easy depending on your major classes and such you could be writing more than one paper per week not counting all the hours put into getting the papers ready to write. wont be fair for either of you if he is bugging you while your trying to use your pc to type out a paper due cause he wants attention or play time you cant give right then. i also know an egyptian girl who spent 3 years or so away from home at college here in the states she just did zoom time with her family and cats during her time gone :lol:and they still remembered her just fine once she got home recently after graduating:lol:edit i just looked at his picture too:flail:how is that face not going to be a distraction to you

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Generally, the answer to "do I take him when I move" is a resounding, "YES!" but your situation is a bit different. He currently lives with you and your family, and knows them and the home very well. Although he will miss you, he's home.

And although you will miss him, the chances are that you are going to get caught up in college life, classes, activities, new friends, long hours at the library (if you are smart about this), and parties. As you learn your way around, it will be easier and easier to spend time away from your housing, and you may even resent, just a tiny bit, that you ALWAYS have to leave whatever is going on and go home to take care of your cat. You will love him just as much, but OH, you would have loved to go on that overnight road trip with the others!

You can, of course, reassess this after your first term or two! It isn't as if the choice has to be forever! And, if you decide to bring him after that point, it will be to a place that smells like you, already, and therefore home to him.