Do gray kittens turn black when they're older?

marbles902

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mum says Marbles will turn black when she's older. She's 2 months old right now and is somewhat gray.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, this cat won't turn black since she's blue (a diluted version of black). Some black kittens are born with grayish coats though and they'll turn black but with those kittens you can see that they indeed are black and not grey.

krazeekiddie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No way that kitten will turn black--sometimes the "smokes" turn all black, I am personally not really sure why, but you have a "blue" kitten! (Grey)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have a blue kitten - he/she will stay that way.

My Ling is an exception and no one knows why. She was your cat's color when born (entire litter was that way) but she had dark points (blue then black when older). By 3 1/2 months she changed to black. But I have NEVER had that happen before. We have no idea why or what really is her background. Has to be some kind of oriental/pointed or tonkinese type to do those color changes.

But you do have a true blue cat.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

You have a blue kitten - he/she will stay that way.

My Ling is an exception and no one knows why. She was your cat's color when born (entire litter was that way) but she had dark points (blue then black when older). By 3 1/2 months she changed to black. But I have NEVER had that happen before. We have no idea why or what really is her background. Has to be some kind of oriental/pointed or tonkinese type to do those color changes.

But you do have a true blue cat.
It was probably a severe case of fever coat. The points (except from the fact the kitten at least turned black) lead me to believe so. Not even colorpoints or mink points manage to go from blue to black.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, because the ENTIRE litter was this way - not just Ling. They stayed blue tabby/white and points for about 3 months before the coat getting darker. The points went from blue to seal.

To make it more complicated mom was a tortie/white!

In fact, even today you can faintly see the pointed pattern on the face/legs in the right light

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about the changing colors other than a siamese I have just had adopted kitties and so I wouldn't know about that but I was going to say your kitty is very pretty I did have an adopted blue once very sweet, and yours is a beauty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marbles902

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad Marbles is staying her color! Thanks everyone for answering my question!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those of you that own blue cats (grey) don't have to worry. This is the first time I've ever had a color change on a kitten (other then something like a black smoke that gets its color later). I've bred several litters of rex cats and had both blue, black, and black smoke kittens. NEVER has this occurred in my experience.

That's why I can't figure it out and I've talked to a few color genetic breeders about my kittens - neither have seen it or can explain it other then to say there might be some type of oriental/tonkinese/burmese gene in the mix.

Both the mother and the kittens were very much "oritental" type in build and size. Even now, Lings a year old and she is very petite - she looks like about 6 months old compared to most mixed breed kittens