Do each of your cats have a different "feel"?

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've noticed that even though all three of our cats are domestic shorthairs around the same age, each cat has a slightly different feel when I pick each of them up. My Dad's cat Posie is stiff and hard. She doesn't much care for being picked up and she's either going, going, going, or she's sacked out. My brother's cat Asher is a "squishy" cat. He's just a big, long, flexible house panther that calmly lays on your shoulder when picked up, likes to stretch, and likes to cuddle with you at night. My cat Boaz is somewhere in between- not stiff, but cuddly only on his terms.

What's it like for you to touch and hold different cats?

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phoebe is slim and moderately muscular. Daisy is overweight and floppy - but was floppy when she was underweight, too, she has very little muscle tone. Both are snugglers who like to lie on me or next to me.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What an interesting observation! Our girl Chloe hates being picked up or petted, so she is very stiff and clawy when held, Penny is better but still kind of stiff, and our boy Fizzbin is a 17 pound sack of potatoes. When you pick him up, he goes completely limp. He doesn’t offer any resistance or help you to pick him up. He is floppy and content in your arms. My personal experience with cats throughout my life is that boys are floppier than girls.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Most of our cats have been longhaired but the texture of their coats has ranged from silky smooth to coarse. Our present cat's coat feels soft but not silky. Very few of the cats we've adopted liked to be picked up. They would tolerate it but not for long. However, they all liked affection and would sleep with us, sit on our lap or next to us. :catlove:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being slightly vision challenged, I sometimes have my eyes closed and for fun try to figure out who is sitting on me now. Lol I can almost always figure out who it is by feel. I have short hair kitties that are sleek and muscular, short hair that are a bit rounder (shh. I did not call them plump lol) medium hair that is a bit coarse and some silkier and long hair floofs. There are other clues too. Big paws or small, the weight of the kitty and whether I get a love nip for feeling around! :lol::gingercat2::gingercat::bigeyes::vancat::bicolorcat::runningcat::silver::blackcat2: Position is telling too……………………………….
.:oops::bluecat:
Great question!

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee is an incredibly soft and fluffy cat - we always say he's a lovely cat to have a big cuddle and stroke with because he's so soft; and the top of his head feels like velvet (we jokingly ask him what conditioner he uses, lol).

Fudge had more coarse and wiry fur, and was a very different texture from his brother.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Very different feels. Willow has cotton like fur, puffy and very fine. Lola has longer straight hair that sheds individual hairs.