Do cats understand kisses?

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like to pick my Maya up and give her a kiss on top of her head. She is not a fan of being held. She will put a paw on my chest and "push" me away while turning her head away from me like, "no. I don't like it." (though she will let me do it for a little bit most of the time before squirming and making a whiny noise)

Anyway, do cats understand that kisses are signs of affection? Or do they think we are all weirdo?

Sometimes I wonder if my kitty understands any kind of affection...

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I definitely think some cats do. I had a large red tabby cat. He was a lap cat and loved me better than any cat I ever had. I kissed him all the time. One day, I said to him, "kiss Mama" and he started then putting his little nose and mouth to my face. From then on he would kiss me whenever I asked him to.:lol3:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with @blueyedgirl5946    My hubby has taught Hannah that 'kissies' means to rub noses, which she does, and I think she gives as well as takes that as a sign of affection with him.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Parker doesn't give kisses but if I say to him "Kiss", he turns his cheek towards me so I can kiss it. He loves them and seems to know it's one way I show affection.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maia loves kisses! When I come home from work she sits right up for kisses, and if i send her a kiss from across the room, the does the happy blink

littlewolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kisses aren't ao far away from the usual nose touching and licking. I think they learn to associate the noise of a closed moith kiss we make with the nuzzling action so in turn 'get it'.

I adore kisses with my boy. He's quite big so i can sit on the stairs below him and nuzzle under his chin whilst he rests it in my head. Or bury my face in his chest whilst he licks my head. We nuzzle and headbump for hours... I do the same sort of motion I would if licking him with my nose all under his chin and face and tend to kiss him on the forehead or neck to which he responds by bumping me and licking me. He also makes a small half-squeak that sort of sounds like a kissy noise if I make the sound at him from afar. Just to acknowledge it without actually being next to me.

Cats have some idea of hugs too. Vaguely. Mostly from putting their oaws around you to better knead/lick you, and your human instinct to put your arms around them.. I think again they begin to liken the cat version of what comes naturally to the human version.