Do cats really need to go outdoors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on the cat. Some like being inside all the time and it isn't gonna hurt them. Personally, I think if they want to go out, let them out. 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it depends on the cat. Some like being inside all the time and it isn't gonna hurt them. Personally, I think if they want to go out, let them out. 
If mine were let out anywhere except on the screened-in back porch, they would last very few days. I have wild animals (predators) around 24 hours a day.   If a coyote, bear, lynx or mountain lion doesn't get them, one of the hawks, eagles or owls would.  That's not even counting the neighbors who will shoot at anything that moves.

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As with everything in life, you have to do a cost/benefit analysis and find ways of compromise. Not easy tasks.

And we don't know all the facts regarding the benefits... like the benefits of sun exposure and fresh air.

jayda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been trying to catch up on this thread for a bit seeing as how I can't sleep. Is the question referring to any outdoor interaction, or freedom in outdoors? I've debated whether or not I wanted to post my side, as it seems a lot of people vilify the pro-outdoor view, but I suppose I've decided to post regardless.

First off, I can easily see the other side of the coin, and there is no doubt that you have more control over the hazards exposed to an indoor cat than an outdoor cat. There are hazards indoors as there are outdoors, but all in all they pale in comparison to outdoor hazards. Indoor cats also have more interaction with you, as they depend on you for their exercise and entertainment .

In my entire life (still young) I've had 9 cats, and all 9 were free to go outside as they please. Of those 9, 2 died of cancer, 1 died of heart problems, another 3 died indoors of old age, and the other 3 are still with me and aging well. I'm not sure whether it's just plain luck, coincidence, location, etc, but I haven't had any problems with my free roaming cats. Of the 3 still with me, two have decided they like the indoor pampered life more, and only occasionally ask to be let out to get some fresh air and watch the birds, never going more than 10 fet from the door.

The last one, my old man, refuses to be an indoor only cat despite my best efforts (he gets depressed and destructive when locked in). Until recently I'd been oblivious to how popular he was in my neighborhood. Yes, he is neutered. Anyway, I'm fortunate enough to live in a neighborhood full of retired seniors who have no problem with cats, some of whom own free roaming cats of their own, which I may add are really close to my boy. He has his routine, and spends most of his time here eating, sleeping, and getting loved on, but for a few hours a day he goes visiting. My next door neighbor who had lost her husband last year loves him, and has even told us that he now trusts her enough to allow her to pet him. He hangs out for a few hours with other neighborhood cats either in my backyard or my neighbors, and they have their little cat party for a few hours before he returns home for dinner and half of the bed.

I worry every day that something will happen to him, but seeing how upset he gets when he's not allowed out seems cruel. To me it seems similar to sending your child to summer camp where they enjoy the outdoors, make new friends, and then are told they'll never be allowed to see them or enjoy it again. He will literally mope around the house for weeks, eat very little, and basically give you the cold shoulder until you let him out. I worry about his safety, of course, but I also worry about his quality of life and his happiness. I do what I can to minimize the risks, regular vet care and vaccinations for all of my animals, as well as spay/neuter.

My new cats aren't going to be able to free roam outdoors like previous cats, but they will be allowed outdoors in an enclosed yard. A change in scenery and the ability to run and play and be a cat definitely enriches their lives. Outdoors can greatly improve quality of life in cats just as it can in animals, and that includes all of the natural environment, trees and grass included.

Last edited:

jkittykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 5 cats and 2 children, and I don't let any of them go outdoors.  They get all the nourishment and stimulation that they need right here in the house.  There's no need for any of them to go outside; there are too many dangers!  I just go out when we need to resupply, and sometimes meet up with friends or take a long walk when I just need some fresh air or to clear my head.  But children and ESPECIALLY cats don't need to venture any further than the confines of a comfortable home.  We have three bedrooms and two bathrooms, a nice kitchen with all the newest amenities, and a 42" flat screen TV!  With all the space and things in our house who needs to go outside! It's so fun inside!

smcbuki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I go to my house in the country I let my cat go out but I don't let it go out of my sight. I am always with her when she is out. I think it's good for her to run and jump and climb trees and breath fresh air.

bianca powell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everything you have just said is ridiculous. I am studying an Animal Science degree and have learnt a lot about natural behavior. Have you ever heard of the 5 freedoms of animals? One of them is the ability to express natural behavior. A cat if it were in the wild would live outside and be able to hunt and play. Therefore the desire for a cat to go outside and explore and hunt and play is part of their innate behavior. Without being able to perform these natural behaviors a cat will start to become stressed and may develop bad habits like scratching your sofa or curtains!! Anyway why wouldn't you let your cat outside if your able to?! Or is it because you just love cleaning litter trays all the time?!

bianca powell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you are all being very over protective of your animals- don't forget they were once wild animals and were fully able to look after themselves in the wild then. Not much has changed in the domestic cat from their wild counterparts. As long as your cats are neutered and are up to date with their vaccinations they should be fine. However if you live by a busy road then I can understand you feeling worried. But again if you have pet insurance for your cat which you can get for only £7 a month so quite a small price then what's the worry? I have lived with cats all my life and they have always been outdoor cats- they love the fresh air and the ability to strut around and explore. Apart from the occasional fight with another cat which has never been fatal- usually only a scratch- they have all been fine. The cats that we have now have even made friends with the neighborhood cats and we see them play fighting and chasing each other around our garden all the time. If your cat chooses to be an indoor cat then that's ok- you are not restricting its natural instincts or urges, that what it wants to do. I think everyone should make the decision up to the cat- see what it wants to do. Otherwise it would be the same as locking a human up in a house forever and not letting them go outside for the rest of their lives- we would consider that inhumane- it is the same for the cat. 

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I think you are all being very over protective of your animals
That may be the case, but at least l know where they are and that their safe.

As my vet pointed out, keeping them inside from an early age they know no different.

As for them being stressed, that couldn't be further from the truth, especially with my cats. Keep them stimulated with toys and they won't be stressed or bored

Knowing their safe inside,   if that means l love scooping litterboxes out then yes l suppose l do?.  I'd sooner scoop litterboxes several times a day than worry about my cats being in fights, shot at with air rifles, poisoned, or run over.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

I think you are all being very over protective of your animals- don't forget they were once wild animals and were fully able to look after themselves in the wild then. Not much has changed in the domestic cat from their wild counterparts. As long as your cats are neutered and are up to date with their vaccinations they should be fine. However if you live by a busy road then I can understand you feeling worried. But again if you have pet insurance for your cat which you can get for only £7 a month so quite a small price then what's the worry? I have lived with cats all my life and they have always been outdoor cats- they love the fresh air and the ability to strut around and explore. Apart from the occasional fight with another cat which has never been fatal- usually only a scratch- they have all been fine. The cats that we have now have even made friends with the neighborhood cats and we see them play fighting and chasing each other around our garden all the time. If your cat chooses to be an indoor cat then that's ok- you are not restricting its natural instincts or urges, that what it wants to do. I think everyone should make the decision up to the cat- see what it wants to do. Otherwise it would be the same as locking a human up in a house forever and not letting them go outside for the rest of their lives- we would consider that inhumane- it is the same for the cat. 
Pet insurance may be cheap, but it doesn't cover the pain and suffering of a cat should it be hit by a car, should it get into a fight, should it be shot or poisoned. And it has nothing to do with enjoying "cleaning litter boxes all the time".

You are, of course, allowed your own opinion. Just realize that people who choose to keep their cats indoors have the exact same right to do so that you have to allow your cats outside. Without being judged.

Last edited by a moderator:

bbarb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Like Bianca I'm from the UK and over here it is almost universally accepted that all cats are basically wild creatures who just choose to live with us and who give us affection and companionship in return for warmth and food.  So I agree with those of you who are astonished that anyone would even dream of keeping them indoors all and every day, unless they live in a city when (personally) I'd question the advisability of keeping cats at all.  But then, I'm not sure its a good idea to keep a dog and leave it alone whilst you go to work - that's just me.

This is not to say I don't take on board the fact that the USA is obviously a more dangerous place for cats than UK, it never occurs to me that anything bad should happen to them outside (but I live in the country and they have plenty of fields to roam around).  Obviously every case must be looked on as individual.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not going to argue the in vs out but more of the money comment.

ALL the pet insurance I have read about is always you pay up front and they send you a check AFTER.  Is it different there?

A few months ago one of my ex feral that I got as a kitten was hit by a car.  He always managed to sneak out or rip out the screen.  I have no idea when he was hit but had not seen him in few days.  A day away was normal for him.  Vet and I knew it was bad.  Pelvis was shot(no xray but it was obvious by the crunching noise) leg was broken at knee and could touch foot to back by bending it up.

To take a leg off is one thing but a pelvis your talking cage rest for months and a lot of money-insurance does not cover it all).  And then there is the possibility that an injured cat may die on spot or not be able to come home.  As hurt as he was it was obvious he did not walk home.  He dragged himself by 2 front feet.  He could not stand at all.

Yes this is graphic but this is reality. 

I DO have 2 cats who are outside 24/7 by own choice and refuse to come in-I only make them stay in during sever rain or snow. 

I also have over 20 cats.  I do not think it is fair to impose THAT many on my neighbors.   The house offers them plenty to do and friends.  They are always snuggled up with a buddy or playing chase.

They do not get bites that get infected, fleas are prevented which leads to no tapeworm(easily treatable yet still a pain)  They are not bothering my neighbors or at risk of being abused(about month ago a local town had 2 cats gutted, beheaded and layed out on some ones driveway)  I have a cat who came with multiple bb pellets in her neck.

There is no such thing as a safe area to me unless it is a fully enclosed pen.  Cars, wildlife,poisoness stuff(be it a flower or some rat killer) kids, ppl who just hate cats, dogs....list goes on. 

terianne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have six kitties, but only two of them go outside during the day and come in at night...every night.  I don't let them stay out at night because of the wild animals roaming about.  Mia stays on the front porch and around the house on the back deck and so does Surry.  They both come in before the sun goes down.  The other four are older and have no desire to go out at all, but they do love to sit in the sunny bay windows inside.  Never had a problem at all with my kitties going outside.  I think it depends on where you live too as to how safe they are roaming around outside.   I do recommend always bringing them inside at night if you can.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it is crucial to echo what has already been implied by so many in this thread- what is safe and what is not is very much dependent on the circumstances and surroundings of where each person lives. To allow a cat to free roam outside is very different when you are talking about living in the Country with a lot of open space and few roads and/or predators versus living somewhere more urban where the risks increase exponentially. This is a personal decision that every cat guardian must make based on what is in the best interest of their individual cat. It not only varies by location but may vary by specific animal. Some may do well going in and out as they please where others do not. 

What is not fair to say is that anyone who chooses to keep their cats indoors is intentionally being cruel. If provided with proper enrichment there is nothing that indicates that an indoor cat can't have all their needs met, both basic and instinctual. Conversely, there is nothing that says a person who allows their cat outdoors is being neglectful. So long as every animal has room to roam (i.e is not confined to a cage for long periods of time unless medically necessary), has access to fresh food and water, a warm place to sleep, and appropriate stimuli then it is an individual choice and no one should be judged or criticized for it.

It is fine to engage in healthy debate and express the pros of your opinion but no one should be singled out or made to feel irresponsible for how they choose to share their home with their feline companions. There are just too many unique factors that must be taken into account. Always remember to debate respectfully and address the issue, not the countering person!

And yes, I have two blissfully happy cats who have never been outdoors. They hunt, maim, and kill all while safely in the confines of their home! 

mycatsinthetub

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Every time I ask people why they let their cats outside, the answer is unsatisfactory:

1. He/she was a stray.

2. He/she cries at the door.

3. He/she likes it out there.

4. He/she was let out by his/her former owners.

5. I had a cat who went outside and lived 18 years.

Sorry, but none of those reasons are convincing. I want to know why people think just because they like the outdoors and/or came from there, cats need the freedom to leave the house. If feral cats can learn to love an indoor-only lifestyle, why not the former strays and cats who could go outside at other homes? Why do people think they can't train their cats to be happy indoors and stop sneaking outdoors even if patience is required? What makes people think it is inhumane to keep them inside 24/7 when home is where they get food, water, shelter, and attention? I just want to know what their logic is, not start a cat fight here.
I have a cat who was born feral. He has never been happy indoors only. In 8 years I have not been able to train him out of going outside. He will go through screens, claw open the bottom of wooden doors, rip vents out of drywall and try to climb through them, destroy anything and everything you cherish if you lock him up, and once he is out he will stay away for days if he hasn't been out in a while. He has really hurt himself a few times. Mouse breeding season is the worst, he loves to eat pinkies. 

After a few years we compromised. I only live in houses with a fence I can modify to keep him in my yard, complete with a few likely places for mouse nests (pinkie addict) and he stops being an @##%^&$. It's worked really well so far. Except my neighbours like him so now he has 3 yards to go to. He's now a big, fat, friendly gentleman who you would never guess was a pinkie addicted terror who craves the frigid wilderness of his youth. Every once and a while he finds a place to break through the perimeter, and I find him cheerfully napping outside my window covered in snow purring away. 

My logic is I love my kitty, and even though what he is doing isn't the safest option for him I need to look at his mental as well as physical health. I do risky things everyday too, drive my car, go get my mail, expose my skin to UV rays, eat BBQ, not because I have to. I understand.  So if he needs to go out so badly that he would rather hurt himself than give up on it, how is it logical to let him keep hurting himself to avoid him risking getting hurt?

My other cats are happy just sitting by the window, maybe with the screen open, so they can see what is happening. They are usually more than happy being inside cats, though they occasionally like to tour the gardens with me, and go for a walk about on leash, or just lay on the deck when we BBQ. 

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have a cat who was born feral. He has never been happy indoors only. In 8 years I have not been able to train him out of going outside. He will go through screens, claw open the bottom of wooden doors, rip vents out of drywall and try to climb through them, destroy anything and everything you cherish if you lock him up, and once he is out he will stay away for days if he hasn't been out in a while. He has really hurt himself a few times. Mouse breeding season is the worst, he loves to eat pinkies. 

After a few years we compromised. I only live in houses with a fence I can modify to keep him in my yard, complete with a few likely places for mouse nests (pinkie addict) and he stops being an @##%^&$. It's worked really well so far. Except my neighbours like him so now he has 3 yards to go to. He's now a big, fat, friendly gentleman who you would never guess was a pinkie addicted terror who craves the frigid wilderness of his youth. Every once and a while he finds a place to break through the perimeter, and I find him cheerfully napping outside my window covered in snow purring away. 

My logic is I love my kitty, and even though what he is doing isn't the safest option for him I need to look at his mental as well as physical health. I do risky things everyday too, drive my car, go get my mail, expose my skin to UV rays, eat BBQ, not because I have to. I understand.  So if he needs to go out so badly that he would rather hurt himself than give up on it, how is it logical to let him keep hurting himself to avoid him risking getting hurt?

My other cats are happy just sitting by the window, maybe with the screen open, so they can see what is happening. They are usually more than happy being inside cats, though they occasionally like to tour the gardens with me, and go for a walk about on leash, or just lay on the deck when we BBQ. 
I so understand this!!!  This is what I have tried to explain to some people that there is no keeping certain cats inside short of maybe caging them. 

One of my cats will do anythign and everything to get out.  If she can't she will attack other cats ad rip any screen she can get(even if only open a few inches with a bar in track.  She will attack me after a week or so in-figured that out during hurricane sandy when we were with no power and it was very wet and cold at night/come days.  She just got so bad I had to let her out. 

mycatsinthetub

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I so understand this!!!  This is what I have tried to explain to some people that there is no keeping certain cats inside short of maybe caging them. 

One of my cats will do anythign and everything to get out.  If she can't she will attack other cats ad rip any screen she can get(even if only open a few inches with a bar in track.  She will attack me after a week or so in-figured that out during hurricane sandy when we were with no power and it was very wet and cold at night/come days.  She just got so bad I had to let her out. 
It gets pretty crazy. 

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I get the chance I want to harness-train Jed and see if he has any interest in going out. To, there is no one correct answer whether or not a cat should go outdoors. It largely depends on the cat, and partly depends on whether it is safe to do so under supervision where you live.

cybilinside

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats. One of the cats came to us from God knows where, one of them I got as a kitten. They are both litter box trained, but they both prefer to go outside for whatever reason, even when it's icy on the ground. They will cry endlessly to go out and if not let out they have actually torn through my screens to get outside. If they are that desperate to go out for a while then yes, I believe it is cruel to force them to stay in. We live on a military base so we are not able to put up a net over the fence. They are both strong, healthy cats. AC is a fighter....he has been since the moment he adopted us, but since getting our second cat he has not gotten in any outside fights at all. Taz has never gotten in a fight (except with AC!) and is extremely sociable. I only let them out at night when the kids/traffic have died down. They go out for about an hour, do their business and come back. I don't believe that makes me an irresponsible pet owner.....they're fed, in good physical shape, clean and nice soft coats, have plenty of toys, scratching posts, etc to play with, have shots and fixed, and we have a fund set aside just to take care of any pet emergencies. The worst that has ever happened to them was a case of ear mites which was easily cured. I don't see the point in watching them pace the house looking miserable for hours when they are fine coming and going for an hour and happier doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.