Do cats prefer cold or lukewarm water?

hannahgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just curious - sometimes I notice my cat's water is low so I will put cold water from my Brita pitcher, into the bowl...just wondering if cats prefer any particular temperature of water. Thank you.

piyu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat loves Poland Spring bottled water for some odd reason. He won't touch tap water.

hawk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Cat will only drink fresh spring water that is cold as well. I make Ice Cubes from the spring water and drop a couple in her bowl after filling to keep it cold for a couple hours longer on warm days.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first time I heard of someone putting ice cubes in their cats' water I thought it was nuts. But lo and behold, it turns out MY cats love cold water!!
But it makes sense: cats like fresh, clean, good-tasting water. In the wild, where do you find that kind of water? In a warm, stagnant pond? No. In a cold, flowing spring. Cold is the way to go for cats.

jon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat that only wants to drink from a sink faucet. I discourage this, although for years, he looks at the sink lovingly, and will give the faucett "head butts" constantly. I think he was a plumber in one of his previous 9 lives.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of your responses! I appreciate it, so does my cat!