Do Cats Play Tag?

Kennethkeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had a cat do this in the past now this one, it seems as if cats enjoy finding hiding spots then run and act as if they will attack you when you turn to look at them they'll simply retreat and try to hide again. I find this as adorable play.

Though I'm wondering if other cat owners have cats that do this. I know it's nothing serious because she'll just let out a little surprise meow when I go to pet her after I find her. No biting or scratching it's like they really are saying you found me.

Now in the next moment I'll lay down next to her and she wants nothing to do with me at all then start howling like a lion when I leave. ‍♂

Cats.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, there is a thread or two on this if you search for it. They can even understand if you chase/tag/run away and/or hide. Well, some can, anyways, as long as you don't do it too vigorously and they trust you.

I feel that sometimes with some cats the game riles them up too much and encourages ankle attacks or other types of play biting that aren't always as gentle as your cat's currently are, but it seems to vary from cat to cat and some folks do enjoy playing this game with their cats with no problems. Just don't let a family member video you cause you'll surely look like a fool :)

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My poor girl is way too old for this, but I recently have been helping take care of kittens and the tag game is ongoing - running, hiding, chasing, tagging, repeat, repeat, repeat. When one of them gets a little too riled up the one being attacked lets out a 'stop it' meow (no hissing that I've seen) and sometimes they break for a bit. Sometimes, the attacker comes after me and wants me to replace the other kitten! If there is a bite or scratch involved, I let out a squeak and that usually freaks out the attacker just enough to make them stop.

Feeby does however demonstrate the second behavior you mentioned - likes for me to be nearby at times but 'no touchy' stuff. And, yet if I try to leave it is like she is saying - "Hey, where are you going?"

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I can never go anywhere without Treasure running behind me. Does that count? No time to even hide.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What you're describing sounds like an ambush, and cats do this all the time. It's natural behavior for catching prey.

My two play tag with each other. They will race one way around the house with Mingo chasing Lily, and then come back the other way with Lily chasing Mingo.