Do cats need more fluids in hot/humid weather ?

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I guess cats don`t sweat - at least the way we do.   But would their bodies be losing fluids at a faster clip in order to regulate body temp on hot days.  And if so .... to take this one step further .... how about if they are running a fever - would it be wise to adjust the volume of subQ upward?

dr kris

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Ahh the fever -

Fluids are actually my first approach. Room temperature IV or SQ fluids (i live in Canada so room temperature isnt going to be tropical!). 

The administration of the fluids itself can drop a fever. Typical with fever comes anorexia - the food and water intake drops off. So I would estimate those amounts of what they are now missing, and increase those fluids towards meeting their new needs. As the temp drops off, and they are feeling better and voluntarily eating and drinking, I back away or eliminate the fluids.

You got me thinking. This would be true atleast in my geographical area. I never see street cats with heat stroke. Dogs? All the time. But not cats. They've got their thermoregulation down pat I think!

Thanks Zoneout!

k