Do cats lose teeth?

katielv

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have come across a couple of posts where people have said that cat's lose teeth. My kittens are 4 month old. When does this happen? Should I do anything to help?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, kittens lose their milk teeth, usually somewhere between 4 months and 6 months.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most people don't notice when their kittens lose their baby teeth because they're so small, and because they aren't looking in their mouths.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katielv

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for letting me know. I have seen about 6 cats grow up and I never new that they lose their baby teeth. So I shouldn't be pulling the teeth for them?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saved a baby tooth that was extracted from Dexter when he was very young. Awwwww

Lei

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't forget to put a quarter under their pillow. (or what is it up to nowadays, $5?)

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Originally Posted by coaster

Don't forget to put a quarter under their pillow. (or what is it up to nowadays, $5?)

salem cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine usually lose their bottom (fangs, I think that's what you call them?) ones at the same time, and then a little later, the top ones at the same time. Just be careful where you step during those times!

katielv

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's unbelievable. I have found tons of "cat nails" (totally forgot what they're called) but never a tooth. I'll be on the look out.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We were lucky enough to actually find one of Bijou's teeth and one of Mika's so my daughter is saving them for the kitty scrapbook. Yes, she's made scrapbooks for them!

Usually I understand they swallow them and it's unusual to find one.

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Which teeth are these?

Are they the little ones between the two large fangs?

PJ has those teeth - Teddy doesn't. I don't understand that difference...!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, the milk teeth are the same as human baby teeth.
They fall out, getting replaced by the permanant, adult teeth.

milopixie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found 2 of Milo's teeth and I was so excited to find them. They are sitting in my little jewelry box so that I don't lose them.

katielv

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have checked their mouths yesterday. There is no sign of missing teeth. On Sept 4th they'll be 5 months old, do you think the milk teeth fell out already and we vacuumed them up?
I hope not. I'll be on the look out for loose teeth. I wish we could find their baby teeth. I would put them into their album.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they have toys they especially love to wrestle with, your first clue will be bloody toys

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i never found any from flash or sooty, i used to say to blaine i thought they were meant to lose teeth and you would see a gap he just laughed at me lol

yitatasuni

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yosemite,

Just wanted to say how glad I am to see a fellow cat lover has a cat named Mika, too. My Mika is a 1 yr old polydactyl tortie point Siamese.
I stumbled onto this forum while looking up cats losing their baby teeth. I've raised 3 cats from birth, never saw them lose any teeth. Today, my 5 mo. old Siamese kitten Fuji lost a baby tooth right on my desk. Of course, I saved it.