Do cats like to play hide and seek?

Kennethkeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has this odd behavior, one minute she'll be laying on my lap letting me hold her and what not the next it's a dart away try to catch me if I can snd I'll hide from you type of game. I'm assuming it's notmal behavior because I've yet to been swatted or hissed at when I've discovered it's hiding place. Or could it just be I wanna be alone right now thing?

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the type of game kittens will play, in preparation for catching their prey later. I have 4 (mostly senior cats now) and they still play hide and seek with each other. Although not everyday, one will try to get a sleepy cat off her bed, and run into the cat tunnel or behind a piece of furniture and the chase will start. Chase is perhaps the wrong word. In fits and starts they will attack and quickly hide, often forgetting that a telltale tail is hanging out in full view of the other cat. Perhaps your cat is trying to play this game with you. She wants a bit of action! :runningcat:
Or, as you say, a bit of time on her own. If, when she leaves your lap, she is not interested in playing with you (perhaps with a fishing rod toy), she may just want to be alone.

:zzzcat:

Last edited:

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes .. very normal behavior ... all 5 of my cats - kittens and adults play this type of game ... usually one starts running, another chases and then one or both hide... they also like to stalk one another or ... sometimes just find a hidden spot and pop out ... it is their playful hunting behavior and they seem to really enjoy it . I make it a rule never to grab a cat who is temporarily hiding ... they sometimes do want hier privacy. I have one who loves to lay under blankets and in caves - she will try to squeeze her 15 lb of weight into this tiny and short play half tunnel - most of her body hanging out and we all pretend we can't see her lol

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can definitely play hide and seek with a cat that is so inclined. Fun for all. However, if the cat starts flying at you from nowhere and pouncing your legs, I'd stop, not good to encourage that.