Moving Into A Small Apartment With My Two Young Cats. Help?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do cats like the view of apartments on really high floors? I originally planned to rent a unit on the 3rd floor which had a nice view of the street level. But now it's gone, and there is only the 10th floor. Will cats get any enjoyment looking out the window on the 10th floor?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's ok, there might be birds flying by but you can do other things like set up your laptop or whatever with cat videos, plus at other times cat music can be helpful and there are self-entertainment cat toys too :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'm just worried. The studio I'm signing is already super small for two young 3 year old cats. Only 350 sq feet. I'll have two cat trees and ask management if I can install some stuff on the walls. But the saving grace would be that they have a great view from the third floor. Now they don't have that view on the 10th floor, and the apartment is just as small. So really worried now.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try those things I mentioned, your furbabies will acclimate I promise. If they won't let you install anything there might be ways you can use strong cardboard boxes to give them hiding and climbing situations. You'll still have the natural light from the window which is important, and they won't really know the difference between street level activity as opposed to videos of birds, squirrels and such. My Poppycat was completely faked out by a nature documentary with birds :hearthrob:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Do cats like the view of apartments on really high floors? I originally planned to rent a unit on the 3rd floor which had a nice view of the street level. But now it's gone, and there is only the 10th floor. Will cats get any enjoyment looking out the window on the 10th floor?
Hopefully there will be trees to put bird feeders or attach to the window. They will see birds flying over head

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah I plan to do all that. But because the room is so small, I was hoping they had a nice window to look out off.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hopefully there will be trees to put bird feeders or attach to the window. They will see birds flying over head
I think 10th floor will sadly be wayyy too high for that.

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Depends on the neighbourhood! I lived on the 7th floor of an apartment when I adopted Jem. There weren’t a ton of birds at that level but they still liked looking out the windows at passing cars on the road down below. I talked to someone at a wild bird store, and he said that if you’re living somewhere with lots of mature, established trees, more birds might end up higher than you’d think. Have you considered playing “cat tv” videos for them sometimes? Might give them a taste of their prior view.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'll deocrate my apartment to make it as cat friendly as possible with trees and shelves, and tv. But was hoping the window would be useful as well since the studio is small.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So moving into a much smaller apartment, 350 square feet. Which is half the size my two 3 year old cats are use to. I'll be buying all new stuff for them. I can't install cat shelves on the wall, so looking for two good cat trees to buy. Anyone can recommend?

Also I currently have two large tubes, dyi into cat litter boxes for them. They can both fit a human being, so quite big, but I don't know if they'll both fit into the small apartment. Any advice there?

lmunsie1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's pricey, but when I was living in a small apartment I found the litter robot to be a lifesaver. I built a table/shelf around it to use as storage, and it self cleans after every use which is good for smell, and then you don't need two big tubs.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Smell is honestly was honestly never a problem. In my current apartment I have the litter box only 10 feet away from my bed and I never smell anything. And I do clean the litter boxes twice a day.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We use this cat tree in our apartment. Chewy will also put it on sale from time to time.

FRISCO 72-in Faux Fur Cat Tree & Condo, Cream - Chewy.com

As for the litter boxes, you may just need to replace them with smaller ones. I don't think I could fit two human sized boxes in my own apartment. When we were in a smaller apartment we kept one litter box under the bed (it's high off the ground) and one under a high end table, and one in the kitchen. They also make those furniture pieces (that look like end tables or coffee tables) that have a secret litter box inside. I'm not sure if all cats like them so much though.

NEW AGE PET ecoFLEX Litter Loo & End Table, Antique White, Standard - Chewy.com

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I just came across this and thought it looked hilarious so I thought I'd share it. :lol:

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I may try that, although not sure my cats would like it.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My apartment bathroom has one of those places that theoretically you can put a chair to sit and do your makeup. I put in one of those "litter box endtables" (smaller model). Delilah is fine with it.

I did look at the plant litter box. decided the endtable style still gives me storage space