Do Cats Know When We Are Sick?

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! I suddenly came down with something really nasty last night, and wasn't feeling well a couple of days before the illness hit me really hard last night. Pixie also hasn't been feeling well as he has pneumonia right now. He usually follows me from room to room and meows the whole time, it's really cute. Last night, though, when I got really sick, he continued to follow me, but didn't meow, he just watched me. In bed at night, he usually sleeps at my feet, but last night and all day today he snuggling by my legs and side, patiently adjusting himself when I adjust myself in bed. This morning he didn't wake me up for his breakfast, he meowed at my husband for his breakfast....he NEVER asks my husband to feed him, he always comes to me for that. After his breakfast, he came back and snuggled with me some more, and occasionally lifts his head to look at me before going back to sleep. At one point I asked him, "How are you doing, Pixie? You doing okay?" He just looked at me and put his paw on my hand. Do they know when we are sick? He is always at my side when I am home, and usually meows. He hasn't really meowed since I've been sick, he just stays by me.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes they do. I woke up with a migraine this morning. It is my day off so I took my prescription strength pain meds and went back to sleep. When woke up Sonny was under the blanket sleeping next to me. Starbuck was sitting on my pillow next to my head looking at me. Apollo was sleeping on my legs and Casey was sleeping next to me.

Normally Sonny does not like to be covered up. Starbuck sleeps in a cubby hole in my headboard. Apollo only sleeps on hubby. Casey prefers to nap on the storage furniture at bottom of the bed.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats know ever single minute of our daily routines and notice any time that routine changes. I think even tiny changes make them nervous and they come to us looking for reassurance that everything is okay.

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am utterly convinced Mia knows when I am sick. She will not leave me alone.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes they do .... plus they have a great sense of smell. Cats smell as well as dogs do. There was a case of a cat that kept sniffing a lady's mole on her arm... turned out she had skin cancer (mild she is fine.) Also I went through a year of agonizing pain and my cats cuddled closer to me and seemed to not demand as much. My boys also cuddle close when my MS flares up and I'm not feeling great. When I cry or am really sad one of my cats gives me nose kisses all over my face and puuurrrrss.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Totally! They know everything! My cats cuddle more when I'm sad or sick. I have one cat who will come running if I have a coughing or sneezing fit (good old allergies) and sit at my feet until I'm done, then meow at me like he's asking "are you ok?". This same cat even told us when our cat Fritz passed away. I had just finished giving Fritz some love before going to take a shower, he was purring, and had a few treats, was all comfy so my husband also decided to go do some work downstairs. About 10 minutes later, Chewie ran down the stairs and meowed over and over to get my husbands attention, my husband got up to go to him, but Chewie kept stepping away, so my husband finally just followed him. Chewie went up the stairs, towards where Fritz was and he just sat next to Fritz, then proceeded to nudge him, then look at my husband. Fritz suffered cardiac arrest, complication from longstanding thyroid condition. Chewie just knew when it happened and knew he needed to tell us.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! I suddenly came down with something really nasty last night, and wasn't feeling well a couple of days before the illness hit me really hard last night. Pixie also hasn't been feeling well as he has pneumonia right now. He usually follows me from room to room and meows the whole time, it's really cute. Last night, though, when I got really sick, he continued to follow me, but didn't meow, he just watched me. In bed at night, he usually sleeps at my feet, but last night and all day today he snuggling by my legs and side, patiently adjusting himself when I adjust myself in bed. This morning he didn't wake me up for his breakfast, he meowed at my husband for his breakfast....he NEVER asks my husband to feed him, he always comes to me for that. After his breakfast, he came back and snuggled with me some more, and occasionally lifts his head to look at me before going back to sleep. At one point I asked him, "How are you doing, Pixie? You doing okay?" He just looked at me and put his paw on my hand. Do they know when we are sick? He is always at my side when I am home, and usually meows. He hasn't really meowed since I've been sick, he just stays by me.
:redheartpump:
You answered your own question, my friend.
Re-read your post, especially the part that begins with "This morning he didn't even wake me up for breakfast...."
:)
:redheartpump:
Hope you're both feeling better ASAP!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I'm feeling much better this evening, and I think Pixie is finally getting over the hump of his illness. He is much more himself today than he has been for nearly a month. :redheartpump: