Do cats get tired of their food?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have been feeding the same food for basically four years now without any issue. We've tried changing to different brands every now and again, but Stuart would get loose stools for a month at a time even if we changed really slowly. I didn't feel comfortable with him being sick for more than a month so I always switched back.

The problem I'm having is that Enzo has lost a lot of weight, four pounds according to our scale (14 pounds, to 10 pounds and he wasn't fat at 14). I'm not sure how long it took for him to lose that weight, it wasn't until a few weeks ago that we noticed that he has lost more weight than he should have. When you pet him, his spine is very noticeable. He's never been this way, he's always been a big cat. Our other cats have been gaining weight simultaneously. Stuart, who finally was down 3 pounds and at a healthy weight has gained all of that back (we have been working on him losing weight, as he has always been overweight).

Once we noticed that Enzo had lost a lot of weight I started to pay close attention to him. We have an automatic feeder that goes off three times a day and it always has food left over in it. They used to eat it all every time it came out. I noticed that Enzo would pick at it, but not eat much.

So, I spoke with the vet and they wanted me to feed him some other food and see if he gained any weight since he recently had a check up and was dewormed. I have been feeding him wet cat food every day and picked up some Diamond Chicken and Rice, it doesn't have any corn, byproducts, or wheat in it, and he actually has been eating that really well, snarfing it down would be more accurate.

His stools look fine, he's not throwing up, he's eating really well, but still only nibbles on the old cat food. It's been about a week and he does seem to feel a little better when you pet him. Do you think he's just tired of the old food? Does that happen often with cats? The vet wants to see him in a week or two if he doesn't gain weight, so I will be taking him to the vet soon if nothing happens.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes that is the case , they tire of it ... but I would suggest bloodwork to rule out any bigger issues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Sometimes that is the case , they tire of it ... but I would suggest bloodwork to rule out any bigger issues
Hmm, I hope that's the case. Would you suggest bloodwork now or in a week or two if he doesn't gain any weight? Also, what should they look for? I don't always trust that they know what to look for if it's more than just your every day run of the mill problem.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
now as unless this wt loss was over a yr or two It makes me wonder