Do Cats get the Snuffles with Roundworm?

erinroro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a new rescue cat Raspy. Ever since I got him (2 wks ago) he has had 'a cold'. He snuffles a bunch and breathes through his mouth when I pet him and he is purring. He was neutered (I hate the castrate word!!) 10 days ago. I had told my vet about his breathing diffuculties, so he has be on Amoxocillin for 3 days before his surgery, and pretty much the whole time since then. He still has his 'cold'. Today I found some throw-up on the floor that had a round worm in it. I have to be honest, because I have 11 indoor/outdoor rescued cats (and 7 by their choice outdoor only) I am not sure who it came from. We also spayed a young female, and she is getting the puffy belly that sometimes goes with roundworm. I have order the medicine to give to both of the new cats, but I am worried that this will not help Raspy. He has only been outside once since we neutered him, and I think he was not as congested when he came back inside.

Raspy was so hungry when we found him that he was eating the birdseed in our yard. He is also a food gulper. He eats 3 plates of wet food while the other cats eat one. When he sneezes there is some liquid that comes out his nose.

Help! What could be wrong? If it is allergies, then he might be allergic to our house and the other cats in it. What do I do?!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, it does sound like a URI. Do you routinely give your cats L-lysine? That will help prevent URIs and help resolve them if they have them. Most give either 250mg maintenance daily (some divide it up 125mg morning and evening). Others give 500mg every other day. NOW powder is great and just sprinkled on food gets gobbled up. (1/4 teaspoon is 500mg, so easy to measure).

As to the worms... with indoor outdoor kitties, I assume you treat them all monthly with Revolution or Advantage Plus or something? If not, you really ought to be. If they're outside, they're exposed to fleas & ticks, even if they're in an enclosure.

Our cats are indoor only. Our last rescue came inside full time in July. Someone threw up a round worm recently. Because they don't have fleas, we treated all 8 of them with Profender, and will give each of them another two treatments (three weeks apart - none of the treatments kill the eggs).

But basically, if your indoor/outdoor kitties are not being treated monthly with Revolution or Advantage Multi, they really ought to be.
Treating cats with Revolution and getting their rabies is shot is part of our standard protocol when having them sterilized when we TNR.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erinroro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info. I will start using Revolution or the Advantage Multi (I never knew there was and Advantage Multi.... I just ordered 12 does of the regular Advantage
, but I will get the Multi too.) The two new cats did have their rabies shots when they were neutered.

I used to use the L-Lysine for one of my kitties with feline herpes. I did it for over a year and his eyes have been clean since then. I will get some more and give it to this kitty with the sniffles.

I have ordered two treatments of Profender for the new kitty who I think has the roundworm. I am afraid I just cannot afford two treatments for 11 cats.... But it sounds like the Advantage Multi will work for the others, even if it takes a month or two to get rid of any worms they might have....