Do cats fall in love with other cats?? (HELP!)

catlady1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 1 yr old cat Lulu saw another black cat/kitten outside of our house a few days ago. Now the black cat is constantly hanging around our door. And lulu spends a lot of time in front of our screen door pawing at the screen and staring at the other cat. At that time she doesn't want to be held or touched, only wants to stare at the other cat. I'm worried she's obsessed or in love with the other cat and sad that we won't let her outside to play with him or her.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can be social and they might have a feeling of love in a certain way but I don't think it's the same kind of love that humans feel.  Animal emotions are different than human emotions.

However, no matter what you think or what I think, the truth is that we will never really know.

If you believe that your cat loves you (or anybody or anything) then that's your objective reality.  It's not up to me or anybody else to change your belief.

You believe what you believe.  I believe what I believe.  Everybody else believes what they believe.  That's what makes the world go 'round.  :)

Do consider that your cat might also be preoccupied with another cat, outdoors, because of the desire/instinct to defend her territory or, perhaps, even mating instinct.  Unless I or somebody else can see how your Kitty behaves at the time she sees the other cat, it's hard to do anything more than guess.

Can you post a video?  We can never have too many cat videos!  ;)

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Is Lulu spayed?  If not, and if Outside Cat is an intact male, that is your answer right there.   Outside Cat might also be looking for a home and senses yours is cat friendly since Lulu is there.  As for Lulu's feelings towards Outside Cat, she may be curious and friendly or curious and hostile.  The fact that she doesn't want any attention from you when Outside Cat is around might indicate she's feeling territorial.  She's keeping an eye on him.   This doesn't mean she's necessarily hostile - just watchful and alert.  Cats do find each other interesting and if Lulu doesn't have any other playmates, she may very well want to get to know Outside Cat better.

Is there any chance you can bring in Outside Cat?  If (s)he's a stray, (s)he may be friendly.  If you do, be sure to keep both cats separate until Outside Cat gets a clean bill of health.